HiFonicsHorder1

Blues Production Sub's. . . . . . . Remember

Blues Production Sub's  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone Remember These Sub's

Just wondering if ANY Members remember these Sub's. They were manufactured by Still Water Designs back in the Early 90's. Most remember there 15" box because it had a whole row of 2 1/4" ports all way across the bottom of the box.

But they also made some Bad A_S 10's that were sold in bass tubes. They were isobaricly stacked. If you didn't know what you were looking at you just thought it was a 10" sub in a tube. But if you looked close you would wonder WTF when you noticed that it's mounted in a 12" hole with what looks to be bolts going through the normal mounting holes. . . . . . . . . . . . They were Very expensive back then not to mention in efficient. $700 a tube and took a lot of power to pound. I bought ONE back in 93 and ran it a Keenwood 1021. Wasn't enough power. Then upgraded to a Power 650 (4" Fan Model). POUNDED ran that for a year or two then removed and put up. In 98 my local shop took a pair they had been hording in the back out and put in the showcase and my salesman called me and I stold another pair for $200.

I had them in a couple different boxes since then. It's AWESOME to let someone hear them and say damn what you got 4-12's 3 15's what?

Open the trunk and they would just see 2 10's in a deep box. I think in 17 years Only 3 or 4 people noticed the adapter ring.

Here's a couple pics.

cd6b239c99e3.jpg

1f9154044eab.jpg

Blues Iso Kit 210 is the model number if I remeber right. Their was a car around the Columbia Mo. area back in the early 90s that ran a pr of the 12" version. Not the loudest set-up but had a sq sound. He had a Original RF Symmetry set-up also, the first version that looked like a computer tower with plug in cards.

I remember when they came out. I have quite the collection of Car Audio mags that dates back to 1988.

I not only remember them, I still use them. I am currently rebuilding the console in my truck to house one forward firing towards the dash as an experiment. I also have a truck box "trisobaric" that is fairly rare, along with drivers to make several triso's still in their original shipping boxes.

Ray at linearpower.com is bringing these back. I heard the prototypes over Christmas and they are sweeeeeet. He has 6.5's running FULL RANGE, no crossover high or low and they definately get the job done. The new tweeters are also very nice. One of the smoothest tweets out there, if not the smoothest period. New woofers (8" and up) are supposed to have a butyl rubber surround, and a rubber gasket like most new woofers today instead of the old cork around the edge. Not sure of pricing, but I'm sure he can tell you what they will go for.

If you've never heard these before, Randle from Mississippi went to USAC finals in Tulsa with a $5,000 system in a beater work truck and it took a $40-50,000 system to beat him for 3rd in SQ I believe by just a couple of points. Word I got was the judge told him if he had washed his truck, he would have finished one place higher. I know opinions are like @$$holes, and everyone has one, but they sound pretty darn good to me. If you're into SQ, they are definately worth a listen.

I not only remember them, I still use them. I am currently rebuilding the console in my truck to house one forward firing towards the dash as an experiment. I also have a truck box "trisobaric" that is fairly rare, along with drivers to make several triso's still in their original shipping boxes.

Ray at linearpower.com is bringing these back. I heard the prototypes over Christmas and they are sweeeeeet. He has 6.5's running FULL RANGE, no crossover high or low and they definately get the job done. The new tweeters are also very nice. One of the smoothest tweets out there, if not the smoothest period. New woofers (8" and up) are supposed to have a butyl rubber surround, and a rubber gasket like most new woofers today instead of the old cork around the edge. Not sure of pricing, but I'm sure he can tell you what they will go for.

If you've never heard these before, Randle from Mississippi went to USAC finals in Tulsa with a $5,000 system in a beater work truck and it took a $40-50,000 system to beat him for 3rd in SQ I believe by just a couple of points. Word I got was the judge told him if he had washed his truck, he would have finished one place higher. I know opinions are like @$$holes, and everyone has one, but they sound pretty darn good to me. If you're into SQ, they are definately worth a listen.

That is that :bull: , how are you gonna deduct some points because somebody didnt wash there car. It is about the SQ (there preference of it anyway), not who's got the cleaner car even though it makes the car look more appealing but not sound more appealing.

Just going by what I was told Jay-cee....I didn't hear the judge first hand. From what I remember from the late 80's early 90's, these were car shows and clean cars always did better than not so clean cars so it made sense to me. But then again, what the heck do I know right? I have sent him a text and will confirm if a judge did in fact say that or not and let you know if it's that big a deal. I just think it's funny that it takes another $40,000-$50,000 dollars+ to beat a simple $5,000 system in a beater work truck, but that's just me. I've heard that truck and it sounds DAMN GOOD for the equipment that's in it. Most of it was at least 10-15 years old at finals, and with the new stuff in it, it'll be even better. But like I said, opinions are like @$$holes and everyone has one so if you want to call BS, fine by me. Listen to the truck yourself at a show and then let us know what you think.

I didnt say what you were telling me is :bull: , I was saying if that was his reasoning for deducting points then that is :bull: and I would of been heated. I believe that, that is like JL going to a competition and getting blowed out of the water. It usually isnt about the equipment but the install so its doable to me. :drink40:

No problem Jay-cee. I guess I mis-read you. It's hard to tell tone in text (at least for me anyway). I forgot Randle works nights so I'll have to wait until the morning when he calls me back for the scoop on what the judge actually said. I agree with you about getting beat in an SQ only show by either equipment choice or if someone washed their vehicle, but that is what I was told. His truck does sound really good. If you ever get a chance to sit down in it and really listen to it, I think you'll be very surprised. Oh yeah, and he's running two of the above posted subwoofer tubes (ISOKITS) behind the seat in a blow through. It gets plenty loud and LOW for this 43 year old. Is it a ground pounder and can be heard 4 miles away....NO.....not at all, but does it play EVERY note and play it well? You bet your butt it does. I just wish I had the guts to cut the back wall of my regular cab and put both of mine in there like his, but for now, I'll have to settle for a single one in a console. ;) Oh yeah, good luck with your build, I only got through the first couple of pages, but it looks pretty interesting to me. :drink40:

Thanks man and good luck with taking your skirt and doing a blow through (just teasing), but yeah man it is a slow process and havent installed any equipment in yet worth talking about buy stay tuned.

Cool I'm glad I'm Not the only one that was GREATLY impressed by these little tanks. What amp have you been pushing them with?

I am currently using a modified 1752/2202 (whatever you want to call it, same amp) with a feedback circuit and so far I like that one the best. I have used a 2.2HV on it, but my favorite so far is the 1752 with the feedback. I'm presently rebuilding my truck to house one ISOKIT forward firing to see how that works. If it doesn't, I guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Randle is using a 5002 on a pair of them at 8ohm if I remember right, with a 2.2HV on the front 6.5's and tweets. He has much more battery than I have so he can get the bigger amps in there. I listened to it at Christmas when I went back to visit and they will hammer for 15 year old woofers. I just can't get over how LOW that thing goes, but I think he's tuned around 22-24Hz if I remember right, so it should play low. I'm not saying these will outperform one of the new superwoofers in SPL by any means, but they get loud enough for me. Hell, one of them in my regular cab is more than enough for any music I play.

Glad you enjoy them and you did steal that pair for $200! Wish I could run up on something like that. What size box did you run yours in?

My console is going to be right at 1.65 cu. ft. net with a port 1.5x11.75x45 which should put me around 23Hz tuning give or take a bit. It won't be an SPL monster, but it should drop pretty low. If I can ever get this darn snow to co-operate so I can work on it, I'll try to take pictures of the build, but being from Mississippi transplanted to Missouri I'm still trying to get used to the white stuff. I can build the box in the garage, but I'm not walking out in that crap, dragging a box with me and trying to install it in the driveway with snow blowing up my butt. Call me a wuss. At least I'm warm inside. :drink40:

Cool woofer(s). Love the oldschool stuff :)

Just a side note about Blues speakers, they WERE NOT a Stillwater Designs (Kicker) product, they were made by Richmond Hill Corporation also out of Stillwater Ok. One of the original founders of Kicker left and wanted to make better products which he did. Ray, the guy that owns Linear Power now, is the original designer of the old school Kicker Competition subs (gold dust caps and stitched surrounds) he left Kicker and worked with Richmond Hill Corp. and designed all of the old Blues stuff too, he also worked with Linear Power for like 20 something years on amp design work. My buddies from North Mississippi used to be a dealer for all of those products and know all of those guys personally. The new Blues and the upcoming Linear Power amps are all designed by Ray at Linear Power, and the original Linear Power engineer who has been at Kicker for awhile has quit Kicker and is working with Ray on the new Linear Power amps too. I understand that all the products will designed in house by Ray or Jeri and all amps and speakers will be "MADE IN THE USA".

Those are pretty cool woofers, I noticed the funny adapter ring first thing on them in sq_mgb and cableguys trucks, but didn't relize what wuz lurking inside.

I like nostalgic shit so they are cool.smile.gif

THOSE ARE MY FAVOTITE TRANSDUCERS !!!

26203460046_medium.jpg ... 26203460014_medium.jpg ... 26203460047_medium.jpg

My enclosure is tuned at 22 htz !!!

YES !!! My truck WAS clean !!!

randal_finals_09.jpg

I still love the Tri-Sobaric (SP) design! That box had excellent SQ! I still have a new pair of the 4 ohm 6.5" and a pair of the 1" titanium dome tweets.

THOSE ARE MY FAVOTITE TRANSDUCERS !!!

26203460046_medium.jpg ... 26203460014_medium.jpg ... 26203460047_medium.jpg

My enclosure is tuned at 22 htz !!!

YES !!! My truck WAS clean !!!

randal_finals_09.jpg

How much power did you have pushing them there? Box looks pretty cool!

Also do you still have Any of the specs on these?

I have managed to misplace ALL the paperwork I had on them over the years.

Linear Power 502HV 8ohm mono. (50 watts rms)

look on bluescaraudio.com my truck is on there. (news section) / It think its all in my build logs too.

I have what came with my iso-kits. Ray has everything else.

Edited by Cablguy184

Part Number MSRP

BL6.5C $879.99

BL8.0C $949.99

BL8.0 $299.99

BL10 $339.99

LOL....wow. Pretty salty.

Wish their website had (a lot) more info on it. But those would have to be some pretty spectacular pieces of equipment to support those prices, considering they're priced up there with some of the best performing speakers on the planet.

Part Number MSRP

BL6.5C $879.99

BL8.0C $949.99

BL8.0 $299.99

BL10 $339.99

LOL....wow. Pretty salty.

Wish their website had (a lot) more info on it. But those would have to be some pretty spectacular pieces of equipment to support those prices, considering they're priced up there with some of the best performing speakers on the planet.

That is what I thought as well! puzzled.gif

Well, I know I will not run anything else. I wouldn't trade my origionals for a set of new Hybrids.

Let alone the new Blues, There Amazing !!!

I have my order in (2 6 1/2s and 4 10s for my iso-kits). :drink40:

My origionals will be going into my new home theatre system ...

There should be more updates on the site. It just got up and running.

Edited by Cablguy184

I hope they gave you a discount :ehh:

I hope they gave you a discount :ehh:

I have heard them and they are worth every penny, they make the Focal K2 components look silly, and that stuff costs 1899.00. The Focal 6 inch has a Fs of like 79 Hz and if you look at their response curves they roll off below the 90 dB reference line around 145 Hz.. The Blues 6.5 has a Fs of 41 Hz or less, they are saying 41 but if you go to their site and look at the LMS graphs they show the Fs is more like 37 Hz.. The Blues will play loudly and cleanly too, most other SQ drivers fall apart at high volumes. The Focal three way set up can not cover the same musical range as the Blues either. The Blues 6.5 has a very smooth midrange and does not need a midrange driver to cover that area. I got to hear one system today in a chevy truck at a show in Fordice Ark., and I and everyone else thought the subwoofer was on, the guy just had the two way system playing and it was ungodly the low bass that came out of those doors and he still had excellent midrange too. He played 45, 40, even 35 Hz test tones and those 6.5s took every bit of it, and he wasn't ashamed to use the volume control. He also played music with organ notes and music and it did not take away form the upper frequencies for those 6.5s to make the low freqs too. They sound very dynamic and natural, and they are doing it in their vehicles without ANY DTA, processors, suround sound or anything, even showed us all that the eq was off and the radio was in bypass mode. My buddy went to jackson Ms a couple weeks ago and heard 3 or 4 vehicles with the Blues stuff in it, he used to be a car stereo dealer and he says the same thing about the Blues stuff. Hell, ask Todd Crowder what he thought he was there and it blew him away from what I saw. Mike the judge that judged the guys truck asked him how in the world are you getting that kind of midrange out of a woofer that can go so low. I think the guys name was Richard that had the truck, he was from somewhere in Missouri.

Oh yeah, and god when he turns the subwoofer on! It is a true subwoofer, he had it crossed at less than 50 Hz, and it would go to any low freq you wanted it to, it shook the truck and could go so low on some notes that you couldnt hear it but felt it. I know I'm buying a set as soon as they release them!

I talked to Ray at Linear Power and the Blues sight will have more information as time goes by, they were being asked to put info up about the product and this is just the start of the site.

I wouldn't laught to hard at these guys, they seem to be on top of what they are doing.

I know the prices were MSRP and most times those prices are inflated. I'm not knocking the products whatsoever. I just thought the MSRP was quite high. I will let my ears make the final decision before I buy a product.

trink40.gif