Sign in to follow this  
Jalla

Sub grill for the D2

As the topic states:

Are there plans for making grills for the D2, or do you have any recommendations on what to get?

I really need one so I can keep stupid bastards from touching the driver when booming or piercing it with something.

Slapped one that touched it once... He'll never do it again, hehehe :P

Edited by Jalla

We tried using JL's "high-excursion grille", but it wasn't high-excursion enough. The surround ended up rubbing on the grille and making smudge marks on the foam. We haven't found a grille yet, but we've got our eyes open.

Hmmmm...

I contacted a casting plant today to see how much it'd cost to get a custom grill made. Bet it'll cost a bunch, hehe :P

But that may be the final solution to this. The initial cost of making the mold is what wil be most expensive. Once that is made properly the metal itself, be it aluminum, steel or any common alloy won't cost that much.

A custom grill with the SI logo in the middle would be kinda cool, huh?

Not solid letters, but just their outline if you know what I mean.

Im visualizing anodized blue steel for the letters whilst the rest wil be plain brushed steel or aluminum.

photoshop up some ideas

Check out the aluminum ones at www.partsexpress.com

I think they're aluminum anyway........should provide plenty of room for excursion.

draw something up and have it cut out of lexan. Then start wet sanding for polished edges... Just an idea. :slayer:

The only problem with grilles like that is clearance. With 2.4" of travel, and a good solid 1/2" of the surround sticking up above the mounting lip, it would have to be layered plexi. :(

looks good, is the double swish the SI trade mark?