Sign in to follow this  
rps13joe

DLS RS6 -or- Morel Tempo 6

Hey guys I was just wondering what you all think about these 2 sets of component speakers, Theyre right around the same price range, ATM im leaning more torwards the DLS's since they have a shallower mounting depth and are a bit cheaper too. Let me know what you all think of them and wut U would choose out of these 2 sets, Im open to suggestions on other comp. sets in the same price range of about $220max. And if U have any links please post them as well. Oh and these will be powered off a USAmps MD42. thanks everyone.

Edited by rps13joe

Have you considered active?

You have a quality 4 channel amplifier, so you would have potential for superior performance for less or the same budget. :)

Im not to familiar with how to go active, all I really know is that each speaker gets its own channel so 1 channel for the tweet and one for the mid. But what gets me confused is that all the crossover points are adjusted from an active XO before the Amplifier? so does that deem the HPF and LPF filters on the deck and amplifier usless/not needed? and would I just not even touch the amp's LPF and HPF settings period besides the GAIN ? If you have a link on a write up on how an active setup is installed it would help clear things up for me.

Edited by rps13joe

If your head unit is flexible enough, it would be best to use it's crossover's. If not, you can use the crossover's on the amplifier. The benefit is to be able to dial in your system far better then what a passive set of components with a fixed crossover point could. Either way, the adjust ability and control is superior in a properly set up active front stage.

I don't remember if there is a write up for going active on here. Might search and see if you find one. If not, we can talk you through it. By going active, you can save money on choosing raw drivers, and using the built in crossover's, because you are not paying for an external passive crossover. ;)

Im not to familiar with how to go active, all I really know is that each speaker gets its own channel so 1 channel for the tweet and one for the mid. But what gets me confused is that all the crossover points are adjusted from an active XO before the Amplifier? so does that deem the HPF and LPF filters on the deck and amplifier usless/not needed? and would I just not even touch the amp's LPF and HPF settings period besides the GAIN ? If you have a link on a write up on how an active setup is installed it would help clear things up for me.

There are plenty of ways to run an active setup; either using your amps, headunit or external processor. If your headunit is capable of running speakers active then yeah you dont have to deal with the amps crossovers. If your headunit is not capable of running active then you need to have an amp with the capabilities or an external processor to get your frequencies where they need to be. What you could do is tell us the headunit your using, amp you will be using and speaker set you will be using and plenty of people including myself will guide you throughout the process.

Oh yeah here is a going active topic I made to get a better understanding of the process, it doesnt answer all questions but it has some good questions and technical information for anybody wanting to get there feet wet in going active.

okay, Well for a start I have an Alpine deck CDA-9886

I've tried looking on CA.com and here a little and they all seem to be a little vague as far as installation. So if I peice together a system as far as the mids and tweets I would be tuning it by means of either the crossovers on the amplifier correct? and I've been reading that theres a need for an actual active crossover inline from the deck>active crossover>amp>speakers? or is it possible just to use the crossovers on the amplifier and say set channels 1&2 as High amd have it cross at like 15khz for the tweets and then channels 3&4 in full and have the HPF set as 15khz and the LPF at 80hz for the mids? or am I just confusing myself even more? lol. But basically my main question is that is there a need for an actual active crossover?

well if your headunit is capable you could use that to cross over also.

If you want great crossover capabilities and also a great headunit get this

ECLIPSE CD/USB Multi-Source Tuner with Bluetooth wireless technology CD7200 mkII | Fujitsu Ten

reading the whole website about the e-iserv looks amazing. making me want to change out my kenwood x592 for this baby.

But I think you are on the right path.

For now I plan on using my deck + amps crossovers to act as a "bandpass" function. For the front I plan on using my sax100.4 and turn my HPF to 2500hz for my tweeters

SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter from Madisound

then for my mids i plan on getting mach5 mli65s and thats when I will bandpass them and on my deck set the hpf at 80hz and on the amp set the LPF to 2500hz.

This should be a pretty sweet set up for an active.

All these ideas and ways to complete this project was found on researching here. This place rocks for information! :drink40:

well if your headunit is capable you could use that to cross over also.

Other external processing as well.

okay my headunit is an Alpine 9886. my component amp is an US Amps MD42. Just looking as to what comps i could use with this amp, preferably some speakers with a mounting depth of les than 2.5". But originally I wasnt planning to go active but thnxs to denim I just might go active lol. So is it really necessary to have an active crossover after the deck and before the amp? from wut I understand my HU has the basic HPF and LPF. or like I posted earlier am I able to get away with just using the crossovers on the amp to run active? im a :noob: to this active setups lol

with your current amp and head unit, you wouldn't be able to run active; my friend has the md42, and the high pass filters on his amp only go to 500hz, so both the amp's and HU's high pass filters are too low to run tweeters active (unless the new md42 amps have higher high pass frequencies).

might just be easier for you to go passive for now with what you've got.

only way I could go active with my current gear is to buy an active crossover to use before my amp then correct?

Being new going active might not be the best thing to do, or the cheapest.

I wasnt planning to go active at first but Denim borught it to my attention. I've always read about how going active is pretty pain staking to tune but it never did cross my mind to ever try going active until now, But honestly I probably wont be going active but it would be nice to know wut needs to be done to go active for future reference. But do I have the right mind set or the jist of how an active system is set up?

Honestly I think you have just a small portion of what it takes. Yes it can be summed up as individually setting certain crossover frequencies to the designated drivers. But then you have to start looking at which point crossover point sounds best. Tweeter on/off axis (lets say by 15 to 30 degrees) because once you get a different driver/tweeter they are all different and putting them in the right set up and stuff can get confusing. I would just stick to doing component. Research for a year (no joke) and then maybe try active when you get a deck that is fully capable of running an active set up. I really want that eclipse I showed you. Sell the alpine get the eclipse! hahah

Yes for the most part. The idea is to make sure you have the crossover network to do it first. If that is good, then you can start picking tweeters that fit your preference and budget, then choose the mid's based off of your tweeters and preference and budget. From there it is just install and trial and error to find the best crossover points and mounting locations for your liking. :)

only way I could go active with my current gear is to buy an active crossover to use before my amp then correct?

correct, with that amp, the only way you could run active is if you had a fullrange speaker for the mids/highs that could play down to 500 Hz. Getting a setup like that to work at high volumes might be difficult, however it would be really cool to try if you are open to doing a little fabrication.

Something like:

Fostex FE126E 4.5" Full Range from Madisound

for mids and highs could work

crossed over to something like

MLI-65 [MLI-65] - $39.60 : Mach 5 Audio

might actually work well, and would be pretty unique.

but, while it would be fun to experiment with a setup like that, it will be much much easier if you stay passive

Edited by Solid_State13

alright thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I guess for the time being imah just stick with a passive setup and when I do decide to upgrade my equipemtn imah try active.

But now thats over with what would you all choose? DLS RS6 -OR- MOREL TEMPO 6? lol