PT3005

Whats the Difference In Ports Style

Im going to have a custom box made soon and was wondering what is the difference between a slot port and a kerffed style port? Well there be any difference in bass?

A kerf port can make a big impact if used properly but the math involved can be slightly complex for the average person. Id recommend talking to fisher customs or pound that sound they will be able to shed far more light than im able too. oh on a side note kerf porting does an excellent job reducing port noise. not to mention they look cool. :drink40:

Kerf's allow you to use less port area and not have chuffing. A lot of extra expense in time to make one though.

If you want to search for something for the details, compare an Aero port with a normal port. The conclusions will be the same. If you have further questions, ask. :)

Any added benefits of using the router on the port opening, bend in port wall and the end of port piece's of mdf?

Any added benefits of using the router on the port opening, bend in port wall and the end of port piece's of mdf?

Considering all you can do is about a 1/2" round over on it, probably not. At least not to your ears.

Everything is done for better airflow ;) ... kerfed ports, rounding the edges.

Kerf's allow you to use less port area and not have chuffing. A lot of extra expense in time to make one though.

If you want to search for something for the details, compare an Aero port with a normal port. The conclusions will be the same. If you have further questions, ask. :)

Yeah I was going to suggest that a kerfed slot port is to a regular slot port what an aero port is to a regular round port. It just flares the ends and allows for easier airflow, so oftentimes you can use less port area than with straight-edged ports of either round or slot variety.

i d k what the diff is in the two diff ports but i think the rounded ones are badass lookin but i wanna kno if looks are also better for sound and workk in the drivers??

to me slot ports make the bass hit cleaner than areo ports. i might be wrong though :/

to me slot ports make the bass hit cleaner than areo ports. i might be wrong though :/

That sounds like a problem with port area, and not having flared ends. Not the type of port.

You are wrong.

I would have to dissagree with you on that one! Granted it is personal choice.

when comparing slots to aeros, each have their own place per design.

When designing boxes, I always venture into using a slot port as the primary choice because it's cheaper, adds bracing to the box and if the design works, will actually give off more effective port area than an aero port can in terms of internal volume displacement.

One main difference between slot and aeros is that acoustical length of an aero is LOT less than a slot port.

If a box is 20" deep, slot port is 5" wide and goes back 15", there's a lot of acoustical length there as the port virtually bends around the corner...

With an aero, there is no such.

Now, aeros have more effective port area therefore can use shorter port depths but is also depends if u got room for multiple flared ports on the box.

When u start needing 200sqin or more... aeros are gonna take up way too much baffle room just to install them.

When designing boxes, I always venture into using a slot port as the primary choice because it's cheaper, adds bracing to the box and if the design works, will actually give off more effective port area than an aero port can in terms of internal volume displacement.

Cheaper indeed. Bracing, well not really a reason to use any sort of port. As for the more effective port area per internal volume I completely disagree. MDF is thicker than a plastic port.

One main difference between slot and aeros is that acoustical length of an aero is LOT less than a slot port.

"Acoustical length" -- what do you mean by that?

acoustical length : how long you say something is (not necesarely actual length and a very common thing for males to impress females)

:santa: sorry guys , couldn't control myself

acoustical length : how long you say something is (not necesarely actual length and a very common thing for males to impress females)

:santa: sorry guys , couldn't control myself

:woot:

Cheaper indeed. Bracing, well not really a reason to use any sort of port. As for the more effective port area per internal volume I completely disagree. MDF is thicker than a plastic port.

"Acoustical length" -- what do you mean by that?

I presume he's referring to how many degrees of wave length are spent in the actual port.

Have you come back from the dead because you have 13k posts and I have never seen your posts or remember them lol.

Have you come back from the dead because you have 13k posts and I have never seen your posts or remember them lol.

90% of his posts are in IHOP..

Yes he came back from the dead :) He was here for the creation of the HoP, long before I was here.