Sign in to follow this  
chrisommer

what size Q to get 12 or 15?

I am currently running a 10" Alpine type R off an Alpine M450 Amp. The type R is in a large ported enclosure. It sounds terrible with the type of music i listen to (hard rock). It will play pretty low and get loud while listening to rap, but I hardly ever listen to rap. I only put this in my Jeep as a quick fix (paid 100 for amp, sub, and box) and now I finally have the money to do a whole new system. My local shop keeps trying to get me to do a JL 12W6 in a sealed enclosure running off a 500/1. He says "It will hit hard (tight) and be loud enough for me". I do not want to go with JL especially since he wants 650 for a 12W6 and a box.

I would like to go with (1) 15" in a 2 cubic feet box (after subwoofer displacement) running off a Sundown SAZ-1000D amp. How well will this play hard rock? Will it have good transient response and hit hard or tight (how local described 12W6)? I have always been told that 15's are not "musical" subs and that they are for rap because they play lower. Is this true? The local tells me I would be better off going with a sealed 10 or 12 for the type of music I listen to, but i don't believe the 10" Q sealed will be loud enough. I am sure compared to my type R it will sound great, but just not loud enough.

Has any body heard both the Q and a W6 in similar installs? How do they compare?

I appreciate your input. Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks.

--Chris

i have heard many of w6s and i owned a q 18 and the q sounded better to me. there are also alot of things to consider when doing a comparison though such as install, box, and settings of the amp and headunit. but for the price i would stick with a q 12 since 2 cubes isnt very much for a 15...but is perfect for a 12. if i were you i would try building a smaller box for the 10 since i believe a smaller box will make it sound less boomy and will make it more tight...also the box u have it in might be tuned too low.

i have heard many of w6s and i owned a q 18 and the q sounded better to me. there are also alot of things to consider when doing a comparison though such as install, box, and settings of the amp and headunit. but for the price i would stick with a q 12 since 2 cubes isnt very much for a 15...but is perfect for a 12. if i were you i would try building a smaller box for the 10 since i believe a smaller box will make it sound less boomy and will make it more tight...also the box u have it in might be tuned too low.

I think he is going sealed so 2 cubes would be enough for a 15".

yea ur right, i figured he would go ported tho beings that his 10 was ported. but yea a 15 would work in a 2 cube enclosure. but wouldnt a 12 in an optimal ported box be better than a 15 in a bare minimum sealed box?

I have already decided to get rid of the type r. I will be building a smaller box and moving it to my girl friends jeep.

I am not limited to 2 cubes. I have a jeep grand cherokee, so I can go bigger. The reason for picking that size is because that is the smallest Fi recommends for the 15" Q. Figured at that size the 15 wouldn't be so "boomy". Which ever size I get, I will be going with a smaller sealed box for SQ. I figured a 15 at the smallest recommended sealed box would "hit harder" or play louder than a 12 in the smallest recommended size. I am set on going with a small sealed box, I just dont want to get the 12 and have to port it because I don't think it is loud enough. Would the sealed 15 do good as far as SQ?

Sorry if I am all over the board with this one. And thanks Brandon Daily for the quick response.

its no problem bro thats why the forums are here. i think u might want to go a little bit bigger sealed box, maybe 2.25 just so it has some breathing room. but either way if u want sq sealed is the way to go. also idk if ur dead set on fi but the xcon from ssa is supposed to be wicked loud sealed and sound great while being loud. just throwing it out there...but i believe they are more expensive too.

Another question is what is your budget for subwoofer, amplifier if you want to get a new one and what electrical upgrades have you done or are willing to do?

The sealed 12" Q will sound close to the 10" type R ported in output. I do agree that if you go with the 15" Q that you should make it between 2.2 and 2.3 cu ft. I have tried it in a 2.6 cu ft sealed enclosure and it sounded great even on rock but slightly smaller would have been better. I would compare the sealed 15" Q to a previous setup I had of 2 sealed 12" kicker cvrs in output so it will get plenty loud especially if you dont listen to rap a lot (might even have to turn the sub down a little). Either way you go you will be more than happy with your decision.

Edited by Miller

I don't really have a budget in mind. Maybe around 700 for amp and sub. My thought process was that if limited my self to 1000rms for the sub amp and 75x4 for the speakers that a new battery and big 3 would be enough. I have not researched my stock alternator, but I was told by a friend that i wouldn't need to upgrade the alternator with only 1300 rms altogether. He has about the same vehicle as me but is only running 900 rms. I plan on doing my on own research and math to see if the alternator can handle that much power, he is not a very reliable source.

I was looking at the Icon as well as the aa havoc, but decided on fi due to the price. I would spend more money, but after reading reviews and such I don't think I need to. Seems the Q is a great sub for the money.

you got the same problem i had with my subs mostly now a day's there more gear towards rap! and boomy boxes. would you use two subs ? i am running two jbl power p 1022's in a gold wood box from part's express.com the sealed two ten box it like 36 bucks right now it has .85 cuft per sub and the jbl's require .75 per sub which the little extra space make them be have awesome. i am running them off a Sony temporarily till i get the third for my sae1200d v2 and build a box for it. to tell you the truth any think i have found with the low spl in the 85 - 89 at 2.83 volt has been dull one noteish kinda like rockford fostgate punch stage 3 's if you know the subs there real flat and lifeless in sound out put. personally have not heard fi's q's but am content with what i got. btw if your good at adjusting gain you could run those jbl's off the saz 1000d. any ways in that box there not boomy there punchy and tight and very responsive to rock and metal. jbl powers retail for about 100 each 2 10's or 2 12's for 149 each i think would equal what your after. i got mine on e-bay so check there if you like em or the idea.

An 8" woofer will play the exact same notes as an 18" woofer. Size does not matter, the only factor that changes is output. With an 18" woofer though it will play the same notes with less "work" vs. smaller woofers, making it sound less "sloppy".

An 8" woofer will play the exact same notes as an 18" woofer. Size does not matter, the only factor that changes is output. With an 18" woofer though it will play the same notes with less "work" vs. smaller woofers, making it sound less "sloppy".

that sloppiness is what i am talking about. as in does not seem to hit all the same notes. now the 8 will have a different tone then a 18 if the spl is different. like a 8 with a 83 spl compared to a 18 with a 94 spl but that all depends on were it was measure at on the hertz scale you could measure the 18 at 40 hertz were the 8 was measured at 75 hertz . i think it is sloppiness and tone the guy needs more tone and less sloppiness which was cause by under powering that sub in the first place and putting it in the wrong box. what happen i think made the box to big to handle the power better and it went boomy/sloppy. he could keep that sub but i do not think it will move enough air to please him and get a bigger amp to make it sound better. but i have seen plenty of one sub systems get loud but will it work for him?

Sign in to follow this