Kent535

Phatmat Vs. Dynomat & Other Brands

Hey everyone,

basically im ordering My deadening next, but i want to hear some inputs from people on which is a good brand.

Will be going in a 93 Mustang Coupe

ripping out the back seat

need something that will hold up to 2 Fi BTL's

powered with SAZ-3000D

what are some brands and could i get reviews please

thank you

Sound Deadener Showdown or Second Skin

Fatmat is asphalt if I recall correctly, which makes it an automatic no.

If you're interested in sound deadening products, the first place you need to visit is www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Don @ SDS is a great guy and offers great products.

Second, it would be helpful if you could inform us on what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish. Different deadening objectives requires different methods and, ultimately, a different product mix to achieve those goals. Just saying "I want to buy sound deadening, what's good?" isn't a very good question.

what they said.

it seems that lately when people ask this question, everybody just disagrees. so good luck.

but again, either second skin or check out that sound deadener showdown link.

Edited by mbarber25

Use the search function. This has literally been covered hundreds of times.

This has literally been covered hundreds of times.

Was that a pun?

Maybe we should have used the 25% coverage method ?

:fart:

Use the search function. This has literally been covered hundreds of times.

Some are too lazy to, research goes along way and will get you a lot farther in life.

This has literally been covered hundreds of times.

Was that a pun?

Maybe we should have used the 25% coverage method ?

:fart:

Clever guy.

I really hate that answer. A search is always very helpful, but can also brings up some really stupid chit too. Yes you should search first, but what does it harm to ask? Makes more topics to read for the next search and no one is obligated to reply to a post.

I have personally used Dynamat Extreme and SS Damplifier Pro. The Damplifier pro was considerably thicker, but both did the job. My situation was a little different when I purchased or I would have given SDS (Don) a shot. The man knows his chit and doesn't try to suggest many multiple layers of product to pad his pocket. What ever you use, follow his advice on coverage. This stuff ain't cheap and if less = more then save yourself some $ and do the minimal coverage to get the job done.

I really hate that answer. A search is always very helpful, but can also brings up some really stupid chit too. Yes you should search first, but what does it harm to ask? Makes more topics to read for the next search and no one is obligated to reply to a post.

I have personally used Dynamat Extreme and SS Damplifier Pro. The Damplifier pro was considerably thicker, but both did the job. My situation was a little different when I purchased or I would have given SDS (Don) a shot. The man knows his chit and doesn't try to suggest many multiple layers of product to pad his pocket. What ever you use, follow his advice on coverage. This stuff ain't cheap and if less = more then save yourself some $ and do the minimal coverage to get the job done.

It will help you from asking a question to where there are multiple answers on this forum already for that question, why have 30 pages with the same information on it or 30 different topics asking the same question with the same results.

It will help you from asking a question to where there are multiple answers on this forum already for that question, why have 30 pages with the same information on it or 30 different topics asking the same question with the same results.

Almost every possible car audio question has been asked at some point with exception given to someone really thinking outside the box. People just pick and choose when to play the search card on someone.

Fact is, things change with the times. What people have a hard on for today wont be what they have one for 6 months from now.

Sorry to crap this guys thread. :drink40:

Second Skin DP, plenty of good reviews on it

Edited by CadillacMatt

SDS is the only logical choice.

Almost every possible car audio question has been asked at some point with exception given to someone really thinking outside the box. People just pick and choose when to play the search card on someone.

Fact is, things change with the times. What people have a hard on for today wont be what they have one for 6 months from now.

Sorry to crap this guys thread. :drink40:

If everyone just added to the thread that was already related and didn't make duplicates this wouldn't be a problem. Having multiple threads covering the same thing just makes searching worse which sucks. :(

Hey everyone,

basically im ordering My deadening next, but i want to hear some inputs from people on which is a good brand.

Will be going in a 93 Mustang Coupe

ripping out the back seat

need something that will hold up to 2 Fi BTL's

powered with SAZ-3000D

what are some brands and could i get reviews please

thank you

Out of the 2 products you listes, Fatmat & Dynamat Extreme, the Dynamat will do a much better job

Here are the differences:

Fatmat

2 mil thick foil

Asphalt adhesive (will melt, smells foul and is toxic)

45 mils thick

Dynamat Extreme

4 Mil thick foil (better constraining from the foil = better damping performance)

Butyl Rubber adhesive (high heat rating, better adhesion, will not melt or fall off)

65 mils thick

If you are only considering these 2 products the Dynamat extreme, though more expensive, will do much better for you in the short, and long term.

You can usually find deals on it on amazon or eBay. $115 for a 36 sq foot box is pretty typicle.

If you are open to other products, some good suggestions have been made in this thread.

SDS has a great product line

Stinger Road kill is great

Hushmat is awesome (silver foil, not the black stuff)

Ours is solid as well..

Hope that helps

ANT

Fatmat is asphalt if I recall correctly, which makes it an automatic no.

If you're interested in sound deadening products, the first place you need to visit is www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Don @ SDS is a great guy and offers great products.

Second, it would be helpful if you could inform us on what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish. Different deadening objectives requires different methods and, ultimately, a different product mix to achieve those goals. Just saying "I want to buy sound deadening, what's good?" isn't a very good question.

fat mat is butyl rubber just like e - dead and all the others they have up dated there stuff since the sound deadener show down was written good bit of info there as for fat mat verse e dead and dynamat fat mat and e dead are basically the same products. but the e dead i had unstuck from my trunk lid it was to heavy and did not want to adhere in the Michigan sun we have here. but ya there was a noticeable in crease in db's when finished witrh the e-dead. if you think don's method will work to do a spl car go ahead and do it that way. this is why i went e dead or fat mat helps so you do not crack the roof of your car with sound pressure when the metal starts to oil can and become annealed before cracking. ya the e dead stuck to the roof of the truck but not the car maybe i should have cleaned it better?

fat mat is butyl rubber ?

Fatmat is asphalt.

According to their website, they released a product called Mega Mat in 2009 which they claim is their first butyl product.

Thank you for all the opinions

i made up my mind and will be ordering second skin

Will be ordering 120 Sq ft. of Damplifier as well as 10 sheets of Luxery Liner

i guess your right but it maybe a butyl asphalt base which boils down to higher butyl content. cause they call it a rubberised compound no telling what it is i got the e dead which they claim is butyl too. i think it butyl, i got ribon sealer from auto zone which is 100% butyl same stuff as the e dead i got so i am guessing it depends on how much butyl is in it.

Edited by sadistic_customs

i guess your right but it maybe a butyl asphalt base which boils down to higher butyl content. cause they call it a rubberised compound no telling what it is i got the e dead which they claim is butyl too. i think it butyl, i got ribon sealer from auto zone which is 100% butyl same stuff as the e dead i got so i am guessing it depends on how much butyl is in it.

From Fatmat's website;

We have a few new things hitting for 2009 that are pretty exciting. First is our new Mega Mat. We have been getting many request for a Butyl product and now we have it, our Mega Mat is 70 Mil nominal thickness and has proven to be a real performer.

That would indicate to me they are admitting the Fatmat deadener has nothing to do with butyl, as they are explicitly stating Mega Mat is their first butyl product.

fat mat is butyl rubber ?

Fatmat is asphalt.

According to their website, they released a product called Mega Mat in 2009 which they claim is their first butyl product.

There is a lot of confusion because FatMat used to claim it was butyl when it wasn't. After a lengthy debate on one of the forums, the owner agreed to remove the word "butyl" from the site. Last time I checked, he was still using it on his eBay auctions. He also stated that asphalt was a superior vibration damper in many ways, but chose not to elaborate further. I've yet to see anyone selling a butyl product say it was asphalt :)

Company lying.....another great reason not to support FatMat :)

There has been nothing said by sadistic_customs that I have ever thought to be logical or informative. Edead and FatMat deadening is :bull: