slappers

10s 12s or 15

My buddy has 2cubes available in the back/trunk of an old school vette. What would give him the best overall sound out of 4 re rex10's, 2 pg rsdc12's, or a jl audio, or re se 15? All sealed off of an audioque1200.1?

He listens to alot of spanish and a lil bit of rap.

Big three upgraded and a decent battery under the hood lol

I figured it would be the 12's bcuz the 10 wouldn't be able to get low do to the amount of air space, .5 cubes is recommended. And the 12's have more surface area than the 15.

Thanks for any advice.

budget is around $200

And I guess a ia 187 12's or a 15??

My buddy has 2cubes available in the back/trunk of an old school vette. What would give him the best overall sound out of 4 re rex10's, 2 pg rsdc12's, or a jl audio, or re se 15? All sealed off of an audioque1200.1?

I figured it would be the 12's bcuz the 10 wouldn't be able to get low do to the amount of air space, .5 cubes is recommended. And the 12's have more surface area than the 15.

Thanks for any advice.

budget is around $200

The IA 187 12 is good you can try 2 12 re se if you break your budget or you can try 2 12 re srx

Do you have an epicenter?

Thanks for any advice.

budget is around $200

first, the subwoofer size does not dictate how low it will play.

If you are going for the best sound quality, i would suggest going with a single sub of the highest quality you can afford and choosing the size that works best with 2 cubes of space. It would be better to use a single 12 that requires 1 cube and have extra space than a 15 that requires 3 cubes choked in a 2 cube box. Also you may want to look at getting a single 12 and porting it, it will give you a large boost in output in the lower octaves (the Sundown SA-12 works great in 1.75 cubes, which with port volume would be perfect in 2 cubes)

no epicenter, but the 1 SA 12 would be louder than the phoenix golds? I know ported gives more output, but the extra driver would cover that right?

My buddy bought the aq amp off of our other friend that had it paired with the aq hdc in a 2.5 ported box tuned to 40.

How would the SA sub sound compared to the aq hdc?

Thanks for the quick response!!!

$200 for a 1200wrms sub seems a bit lofty.

You may want to consider getting a DVC2 ohm sub and wiring the amp to 4 ohms.

From what I see, going with a single 12" would be your best bet. If you're looking for quality and boom, a single 12" will do you best in a 2c^3 enclosure. With that bit of extra airspace, 1 12" will out-perform 2 12's choked up in that small of an eclosure, as well as a single 15" in that small of an eclosure. Quality over quantity. If you're going more for looks than performance, then by all means go for the 2 12's or a 15. It's all personal preference. Look at it like this: You have 20 people standing in a small sealed off room, as opposed to 5 people standing inside the same sized room..which one will it be easier for the people to breathe? Same way when it comes to subs.. they need to breathe. Putting too many in too small of an enclosure is taking that breathing room away, thus lowering the performace and quality of the subs. My .2: Go with the 1 12" and call it a day. But like I said. It's all personal preference.

P.S. Port the box. A single 12 in a 2^3 ported box would sound nice for the type of music being played. Port tuned to 30-35hz

Edited by Shag

Maybe you can try 2 10's in a sealed box with this amp. But with $200 ........impossible to find 2 good subs!

Your best bet is to get the best 12" you can afford that fits in a 2 ft3 sealed box.

Or, even better, save some cash, the amp is already a good point !!!

Go big or go home, 15" FTW!

going big in size.

going home in performance. FTL

I would understand the 4 10's being choked, but the sealed box recommendations is 2cubes for the 15. So I don't understand how the 15 would be choked??

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand :drink40:

I looked at ia's website for the 15 and it also said 1.8 to 2 cubes sealed..

Thanks again

If youre going for output then a single 12 in a ported enclosure should be louder than a single 15 in a sealed enclosure. Just make a good ported enclosure for a 12 and you will be impressed with what you hear.

If you can find a 15" and want it sealed then go for it, or get a 12" ported in my opinion. Just make sure it fits within your budget range and the enclosure recommendation fits your available space. Any sub on this website or ficaraudio.com will suffice.

no epicenter, but the 1 SA 12 would be louder than the phoenix golds? I know ported gives more output, but the extra driver would cover that right?

My buddy bought the aq amp off of our other friend that had it paired with the aq hdc in a 2.5 ported box tuned to 40.

How would the SA sub sound compared to the aq hdc?

Thanks for the quick response!!!

I would not recommend tuning a sub up to 40 hz because it doesnt sound very good tuned that high. Output would probably a little less with the SA sub because I would assume you would tune it in a 30-35hz range and it will sound much better than the aq hdc did in the 40hz enclosure.

Go big or go home, 15" FTW!

going big in size.

going home in performance. FTL

All depends on what your goal is actually

CM UL 12

There is no way he'll find a CM UL 12 for $200. If they're around, I'll buy one. The MB Quart PWE352 is $170 and will do very well in 2ft3 net sealed. Really only needs 800wrms so you could do the PWE354 and wire it to 2 ohm. I believe that AQ1200D does 870wrms @ 2 ohm. While a single 15" sealed might not be as loud as a pair of 12's(everything else equal)...it will most likely sound better, have solid/controlled transient response from 20-100hz, and will be an efficient set up.

Also check out the 15" FI Car Audio SSD for a sealed application or 12" FI Car Audio SSD for a ported application.

the Fi 15" SSD sealed is not recommended..... I'm kinda liking the Sa 12 ported. I know Fi is gud. I bought a 15"Q years ago for my lil cuz that got stolen..... but between the SA12 and Fi ssd 12, which would get louder and handle the aq best??? Ported of course...

the Fi 15" SSD sealed is not recommended..... I'm kinda liking the Sa 12 ported. I know Fi is gud. I bought a 15"Q years ago for my lil cuz that got stolen..... but between the SA12 and Fi ssd 12, which would get louder and handle the aq best??? Ported of course...

They do make the FI SSD available to be used in a sealed application you just have to order the copper coils (make sure you read FI Technical tab on there site or on this forum). Nobody can tell you which would be louder it is all install depended, the best way to tell is buy both and test then give us a review. There is no such thing as which sub will handle the AQ the best? Both would be good setups so pick which one is in your budget, I personally would go with the SA-12"s (I was gonna get two of them myself).