Jamaica2G

Stereo projectS over time

Hello everyone, I post this thread not only to show what has happened to my car over time but more importantly to thank everyone that participated in helping me. You who helped know who you are... Thank you so much for the ideas and the help and the encouragement.

This thread goes out to you!

I think this started in Summer 2006

I've got lots of pictures, not completely done with the newest phase, but I'll update this from oldest till now!

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

Tryin to organize and figure out how everything can fit and still have the required air space...

IMG_3763.jpg

I love that little nipple thing in the middle

IMG_3764.jpg

Ya gotta upgrade!

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

One of the best video game chairs EVER! This chair had more use OUTSIDE of the car than it does in the car!

IMG_3782%20Xbox%20seat%20wCUPHOLDER.jpg

I hate Molexes... Gotta run two new sets of wire through this!

IMG_3814.jpg

the fingers hurt!

IMG_3816.jpg

So THAT's What KY is used for! shoving wires through things!

IMG_3817.jpg

JL Audio XR series that I had in teh volvo... fit right in

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3835.jpg

I was considering getting the RE 12.1 - FANTASTIC AMP - but it wouldnt work in the setup cause I wouldn't have space for a 4 chan

IMG_3962.jpg

I made the trim around the head unit myself... local stores wanted $150-400 to fabricate one! pffft, I just took some stuff to the dental school and chopped up one myself!

IMG_6210.jpg

The first time I had an amp running - it was exam time to I had to stop - Threw in my old Memphis belle 1300 ST! 1000x1 & 75x4 one of my fav amps! Later upgraded to the MC1300D

IMG_3963.jpg

Edited by Jamaica2G

My friend cutting the nip - one thing I kinda regret to this day...

IMG_4365.jpg

The matting just keeps increasing with all the different stages!

IMG_4375.jpg

If the trunk is gonna be functional, it'll have to accept stuff being thrown onto it!

IMG_4452.jpg

I hate the cold but love the heater!

IMG_4504.jpg

Preparing for the assault! - more was added later lol

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

Once upon a time I turned my trunk into this

Memphis belle ST1300

eight RE Audio 8" woofers

one 15 farad Capacitor from Alumapro

No spare tire...

IMG_4497.jpg

I never got around to finishing and carpeting the floor of the trunk. I wasn't 100% happy with how things sounded and I didnt have a spare at all.

Edited by Jamaica2G

Ok, so here goes.

So after that point I purchased a Fi Audio ( www.ficaraudio.com ) Q 12.... and sold 7 of the 8 8" subs....

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6934.jpg

I would have had to make a fiberglass box to acquire all the air space I needed on the left or make a box that would eliminate my ability to possibly get a full sized spare in the trunk, so after a bit of discussion with Shawn, I sold it to buy two Ascendant Audio Chaos 10s ( ascendantaudio.com )... specially made and wired for me to accept an Infinite Baffle (free air) setup. (BTW, if you want Fi Audio or Ascendant Audio stuff, LMK!)

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

I was lucky enough to also get the hookup on some DLS Ultimate UP6i components for the doors. I bought kickpods that have the previous year's component sets as well (DLS UP6's). So I have kicks and doors. no rear fill - Sold the JL's on ebay - they don't even compare to the DLS's

IMG_2010.jpg

I always make a mess... the outer door panel is completely covered, much better than the inner

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

- I used some old Fatmat that I had, Dynamat Extreme and Second Skin's.... extreme? whichever is the thickest

IMG_2013.jpg

At the time I had exams coming up, so I threw in some old and new parts to give myself some sound for a month.

IMG_2014.jpg

Then it turned into this and you can see a cable on teh right of the amps - that connected to a fan. I made a face plate on either side

IMG_5467.jpg

Subs mounted in plexiglass with LED lights that need to be hooked up to shine through the plexi.

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg

At this point, I graduated from UF and had to move up to birmingham. THe trunk stayed something like this for a year...:humpsheep: - Once again, I never finished making a floor!

And just 2-3 weeks ago I started working on things again... I'm gonna keep some of the old and move things around a bit to make things the way I think will make me happy - temporarily of course!

So I relocated all the crossovers

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

And started coming up with ideas for what I would do with the amps... I wanted them to sit lower in the trunk so that I could have more space to throw stuff.

IMG_2590.JPG

Hmm, which way?

IMG_2592.JPG

I made sure to make that box wide enough to fit three amps stacked like books in case I wanted to upgrade later :-D

I lowered the battery box on the right and finally fit the OEM carpet back in there!

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

It's all working again at this point! With BOTH oem side carpets in!

A FLOOR!

IMG_2599.JPG

This car has not seen a CARPETED floor since..... March 2007 after I took out the 8's and was contemplating the Q12.

IMG_2601.JPG

Thew a piece of carpet at the bottom of the wheel well... Optical illusion?

IMG_2602.JPG

and now making a protective box cover that'll hopefully have a plexiglass window so you can see the amps - the fan will be under the floor circulating air to make sure everything stays cool!

IMG_2603.JPG

Installed the fan. I've got a few touch ups to make, but it will look good :-)

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_6624.JPG

IMG_6625.JPG

So happy with the results that I washed and waxed the car today :-)

OH and I figured out that Pandora can stream through the 3G network

Adrian

FYI this entire thread was copy/pasted from an AL forum that I post on, so I make random comments that might only make sense on that particular forum.

Thanks to

Chris, Shawn, & the entire AA crew.

I really like this build, nice simple and clean :woot: . I wish I kept the pictures from all my previous builds.

Damn those AA Havocs look good.. Question that is a very neat looking amp rack for the alpines, do you have any ventilation for them?

Damn those AA Havocs look good.. Question that is a very neat looking amp rack for the alpines, do you have any ventilation for them?

Yeah there is a fan facing the front of the car.

OP: Awesome looking false floor, very good work.

Yeah there is a fan facing the front of the car.

OP: Awesome looking false floor, very good work.

i see now, overall install looks good, nice work!

Wow ! I love your trunk !!!

The amp rack looks really good.

That is a beautiful work!

Would you mind working on my car for me ? No, no, you're way too far from here : plane tickets would be too expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dam...

oh my oh my.

I do love those Alpine stackable amps, really nice looking amps. :wackit:

wow, I never thought I would get the monkey skeet ROFLOL

Thanks you guys. I took a long time for me to reach this point simply because I am ruled by school - oh yeah and I'm really slow with this kind of work, but hey, with good advice from friends, lots of brainstorming (maximize trunk space, full spare and entire system) and some perseverance, It worked!

Very nice!

Nice work! Can you elaborate on how the DLSs sound better than the JLs? I have XRs now and am not totally satisfied with them, but they are good enough to keep me unmotivated to change.

well Im sorry you are mad that I cut that tab out, but I the time for that install we had to. I have alot more pics if you want me to post them.

Great job!!! Gotta have a spare. Looks like all the hard work payed off for you!!!trink40.gif

Hey I am getting ready to move my spare tire nubby, and had a thought. if you really wanted your nubby back you could go to a salvage yard and take one out af another car to weld back in yours. Or if you had basic metal tools you could make a new? Just some idea's for ya.

well Im sorry you are mad that I cut that tab out, but I the time for that install we had to. I have alot more pics if you want me to post them.

You're alive!