joemacgames

Is my alternator sufficient for this setup?

Hello,

I have a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It has a heavy duty battery and a HO 130 amp alternator. At the moment I have 2 Kenwood 12's (Yes, I know they're not that great, but they get the job done at a cheap price :P) with an alpine 500 watt amp. I was happy with this setup until it quit working a couple weeks ago :( The amp just cut off, and I haven't been able to get it back on (I checked the amp fuses and the in-line fuse). I think the amp is fried, but I'm taking it to get checked out in a couple days. If it is fried, then I'm going to use this as an opportunity to upgrade.

I'm thinking about getting an 18" Fi BL sub and possibly an AQ1200D (unless you think I should get something different. I'm open to anything). I keep hearing about people needing to upgrade the big 3 when they get 18's because of the amp's power usage. Is my alternator sufficient to power this setup?

Also, how loud would the one 18" Fi BL be compared to my 2 12's if I build a ~7-8ft^3 ported box to Fi's specs? I've been told that 2 15's might be louder, but I'd like to get the awesome lows that the 18" can produce :)

Thanks,

Joe

Hello,

I have a 2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It has a heavy duty battery and a HO 130 amp alternator. At the moment I have 2 Kenwood 12's (Yes, I know they're not that great, but they get the job done at a cheap price :P) with an alpine 500 watt amp. I was happy with this setup until it quit working a couple weeks ago :( The amp just cut off, and I haven't been able to get it back on (I checked the amp fuses and the in-line fuse). I think the amp is fried, but I'm taking it to get checked out in a couple days. If it is fried, then I'm going to use this as an opportunity to upgrade.

I'm thinking about getting an 18" Fi BL sub and possibly an AQ1200D (unless you think I should get something different. I'm open to anything). I keep hearing about people needing to upgrade the big 3 when they get 18's because of the amp's power usage. Is my alternator sufficient to power this setup?

Also, how loud would the one 18" Fi BL be compared to my 2 12's if I build a ~7-8ft^3 ported box to Fi's specs? I've been told that 2 15's might be louder, but I'd like to get the awesome lows that the 18" can produce :)

Thanks,

Joe

Subwoofer size has nothing to do with amplifier power needed, the Big 3 should be done regardless if your running 8" or 18" subwoofers. 15" can produce the same lows as 18"s can, it is all in the box and tuning to your preference. Yeah it should be louder but nobody on here can tell you how it will be compared to your old system since nobody heard your old system. Do the Big3, get a voltmeter and watch your voltage. If you start dropping voltage then a secondary battery is needed for your application.

that will be a big change : like night and day !

If you have the money, forget the Audioque amp and look at the Sundown amp : saz 1500 for example. Your alt seems to be powerful enough but who knows? not me, as I am not electrician !

I think it'll be okay, like said before.. if its bad add another battery.

I think you should do the BIG3 with or without voltage dropping. :)

Good luck!

yea with the big 3, you should be straight.

but don't forget that voltmeter to keep an eye on it just incase.

If you have the money, forget the Audioque amp and look at the Sundown amp : saz 1500 for example. Your alt seems to be powerful enough but who knows? not me, as I am not electrician !

I took a look at the sundown amp, but it's a little too expensive :/ do you have any other suggestions? my main concern was if the AQ 1200D had enough power to run the Fi well. The amp is 1200wrms at 1 Ohm, and the sub is 1000wrms. Is that what it actually needs to perform well, or do I need a little more power?

I took a look at the sundown amp, but it's a little too expensive :/ do you have any other suggestions? my main concern was if the AQ 1200D had enough power to run the Fi well. The amp is 1200wrms at 1 Ohm, and the sub is 1000wrms. Is that what it actually needs to perform well, or do I need a little more power?

That amp will push that sub very well, some people on here are bias and will only steer you towards Sundown amps like I would also but Sundown is not in everybody's budget. If that is in your budget then go for it in my opinion, unless you want to buy used but that Audioque will get the job done also.

Ok, thanks. This is sort of off topic, but what type/ thickness of wood should i look at for the enclosure? I'm thinking about a ~7-8ft ported box. I used 1/2in (or 3/4, i forgot) plywood for my 2 12's and it's done well. should I stick with that?

Ok, thanks. This is sort of off topic, but what type/ thickness of wood should i look at for the enclosure? I'm thinking about a ~7-8ft ported box. I used 1/2in (or 3/4, i forgot) plywood for my 2 12's and it's done well. should I stick with that?

3/4" mdf will be fine, you could make the front baffle double to be safe if you want (I will be doing with my 15").

You should always use at least 3/4" mdf when building subwoofer enclosures. Also dont forget a double baffle as well. That means double thickness on the top where the driver mounts.

You should always use at least 3/4" mdf when building subwoofer enclosures. Also dont forget a double baffle as well. That means double thickness on the top where the driver mounts.

Ok. I'm thinking about doing the sub facing up, and the port facing the rear, so I'd put double mdf on the top, right?

Yeah the double baffle goes on whatever side the sub will be mounted on.

Don't make your enclosure too big so it cuts off air from the cabin, then you don't hear much bass at all.

You're in Florida? Ok, get that AQ amp, it will be good for your setup. Lots of people use them and are happy with them.

AQ is not on these forums, Sundown IS here, so ...

Look at the sigs, plenty os Sundown amps !!!

I live far from the USA, so I focus a lot on reliability!

AQ told me that they would not ship me an amp because they don't have repair center in my country. It's professional, and I appreciate that. But it is a little bit scarry !!!

When I read some advices coming from knowledgeable people here, I forgot AQ.

It seems better to run some refurb Sundowns, take a look at db-r.com, they are legit, official Sundown repair center, and the amps come with a 1 year warranty.

u can get refurbished sundowns at db-r electronics for a good price