j-roadtatts

J-Roadtatts Honda Accord Build

They worked good. I needed ones with a 1/4" hole in them to get max contact on the battery terminals so they fit the bill. I lightly criped them when I soildered them. smile.gif

On another note I am in love with my fostex's.wub.gif And I have the phasing dialed in, I have the x-over points blending, and I ALMOST done matching the gains.

WOW, the SQ is EPIC!!!!! The sound stage is AMAZING!!!!!jump.gifpartybanana.gifrockwoot.gifthanx.gifcookiemonster.gifbananaDance.gif

That's fantastic!! I wish I was close enough to hear it as well. Out of idle curiosity, what settings have you ended up with thus far? (crossover points, slopes, and phasing?)

I think it's particularly good for those who may not fully understand what correct phasing and tuning can accomplish to hear it from someone who's recently spent some time working heavily on tuning. Any chance you could give some details some time on the testing and the differences you heard when things started to come together?? Of course results will vary for all, but you could give some good insight as to why it's worth the trouble, I think.

i spent most of my night reading through this thread, your devotion and attention to detail is amazing :D

following your progress from right at the start to what it has become was awesome, and an inspiration to me as well. i just recently got my first car and am in the process of building the audio system from the ground up, your thread has helped me with a lot of questions i had about it and what can be achieved with what you really desire :)

the other followers of this thread in their conversation has been great to follow as well, i can see the sense of community within this forum, makes me want to keep coming back.

i have another question i would like to ask you as well, i'm interested in learning to fibreglass and i have most of the basics down in theory, i just need to practise on some things first. my primary need for the fibreglassing is my front stage which is currently quite shabbily put together, but it gets the job done. i'm just wondering how you actually attach the fibreglassed enclosure to the door? i can't see any screw holes or gluing that you have used, it just seems like it's sitting there with the bolts holding the (EPIC!!) midbass drivers into the enclosures then into the metal of the door, or is that the only things holding them in?

sorry if this is an irrelevant thread-jacking question, but you seem to be a proficient fibreglasser and i figured i'd ask you because i loved your install all the way :D

keep being awesome, i look foward to more updates and maybe some videos :)

That's fantastic!! I wish I was close enough to hear it as well. Out of idle curiosity, what settings have you ended up with thus far? (crossover points, slopes, and phasing?)

I think it's particularly good for those who may not fully understand what correct phasing and tuning can accomplish to hear it from someone who's recently spent some time working heavily on tuning. Any chance you could give some details some time on the testing and the differences you heard when things started to come together?? Of course results will vary for all, but you could give some good insight as to why it's worth the trouble, I think.

When I first installed the raw drivers, I played with each set individually. I listened with them at full range got famillair with what they where capable of. Then I trimed the xover points to keep what I wanted as a rough setting.

At first nothing sounded that good. I could hear some sounds so clear and other frequencys where non exsistent, The Comb Filtering effect. This is where phasing comes in, once I switched the drivers side full range out of phase almost all anomaly's disappeared!!!!!

Next was the Aura midbasses, They too were barking at each other and having some cancellation. Not suprizing concidering they are air pistons and pointed directly at each other. I switched the drivers side midbass out of phase and BAM, I was getting assalted with the kick drum!!!

Lastly the monster BTL sub in the trunk. At first the sub was barking from behind me, even crossed @50hz. I switched the phasing and OMG I can't believe this beast can blend. Sounds like its in my LAP!!!!! The tricky thing about blending a sub is that when they are out of phase, they sound louder SO MOST novice will think thats what sounds best BUT it will NEVER blend.

My advice for testing phasing is listen for the driver you can pick out the easiest, the one that sounds out of place. Sometimes the out of phase driver will sound like its barking over everything else. The other thing to listen for is canallation, So if one driver seems like its not making any noise then you may be getting canallation. There is ALOT of different phase combos, but I don't think its necessary to run through them all, just change as needed.

Back to the x-over points. Well at first I asked myself what I concidered sub bass and midbass. I concider sub bass as 50hz and down and mid bass as 50hz thru 400hz. So thats where I started. I then did sweeps of x-over points and slopes to see what occured. I tryed shallow slopes with a ton of underlap, I tryed steep slopes with overlap just to hear the different effects it had on the sound stage. After all that I ended up with:

sub: ssf @30hz / LPF @50hz 12db slope

Midbass: HPF @50hz 12db slope / LPF @400hz 12db slope

Full rangers: HPF @500hz 12db slope

I have no underlap @ the sub/mid point which really helps put the sub in my lap. I did a little underlap inbetween the mid and the full range, this keeps from having the same frequencys coming from seperate sources and confusing the sound stage. I can get the full rangers to play lower but then the mid bass gets anemic, And like wise I can get the mids to play higher but then it brings the sound stage down.

Next the fun part, Gain matching. I had been listening up to this point with everything set low. Now that I had the signals trimmed up I cranked up the Fostexs and these beautys REALLY came to life!!!!!

Then I cranked up the mids until they were over bearing and then backed them off a little until the just started to become an extension of the full rangers.

I have sub level control on the HU so I have the sub gain pretty high and just add as needed with the HU. Some days I like to get assalted with Sub bass and other days I like it mellow. I will say that with the correct phasing on the sub and crossing @50 that no matter the level, The sub still blends and sounds AMAZING!!!

Then I did some "time alignment" . the T/A is straight forward, measure lenghts, do a little math, set everything and then listen with my eyes closed as I sweep the setting back and forth alittle until satisfied.

Lastly I tuned a little with the EQ. I abide by the rule of "if you want something to sound better, take away. If you want something to sound different then add". first I had to boost at 40hz cause my box is so pecky @32hz. Then I Took away a little at 6.3khz to get rid of some bite. Other than that everything is flat. I DO NOT have any "Media expanders" on except for the satillite radio, which needs it.

Let me know if you Got any questions. I am not the greatest with words SO I may of left something out.smile.gif

i spent most of my night reading through this thread, your devotion and attention to detail is amazing biggrin.gif

following your progress from right at the start to what it has become was awesome, and an inspiration to me as well. i just recently got my first car and am in the process of building the audio system from the ground up, your thread has helped me with a lot of questions i had about it and what can be achieved with what you really desire smile.gif

the other followers of this thread in their conversation has been great to follow as well, i can see the sense of community within this forum, makes me want to keep coming back.

i have another question i would like to ask you as well, i'm interested in learning to fibreglass and i have most of the basics down in theory, i just need to practise on some things first. my primary need for the fibreglassing is my front stage which is currently quite shabbily put together, but it gets the job done. i'm just wondering how you actually attach the fibreglassed enclosure to the door? i can't see any screw holes or gluing that you have used, it just seems like it's sitting there with the bolts holding the (EPIC!!) midbass drivers into the enclosures then into the metal of the door, or is that the only things holding them in?

sorry if this is an irrelevant thread-jacking question, but you seem to be a proficient fibreglasser and i figured i'd ask you because i loved your install all the way biggrin.gif

keep being awesome, i look foward to more updates and maybe some videos smile.gif

I know the thread ended up pretty long.biggrin.gif

I was ready to get em' in and guess I skipped a few details. I hot glued 3 blocks inside the pod, then used screws with fender washers on them to fasten from the back side of the door panel into the wood blocks.

THEN I used 3- five inch long 1/4" bolts through the MDF ring ALL THE WAY through the metal of the door and used lock nuts inside the door. VERY SOLID. smile.gif

Even thought I did not pose this question, I thank you for the explanation. Great information of a great build. Sound like your hard work has paid off. It definately looks great!

I know the thread ended up pretty long.biggrin.gif

I was ready to get em' in and guess I skipped a few details. I hot glued 3 blocks inside the pod, then used screws with fender washers on them to fasten from the back side of the door panel into the wood blocks.

THEN I used 3- five inch long 1/4" bolts through the MDF ring ALL THE WAY through the metal of the door and used lock nuts inside the door. VERY SOLID. smile.gif

great, thanks :)

Unless someone else has any further questions I think you very clearly explained everything and that's exactly what I was hoping for. Until someone can really understand the reasons why anyone would go through so much trouble to tune a stereo system I don't think they can fully appreciate the difference it can make. I've seen it many times where people just crank everything up and think things are dandy and then I come along and change some settings for them and they flip out cuz they never thought it could sound that good, get louder, etc. Proper tuning is key for good sound even if SQ isn't the goal. I think anyone who reads your build log and then gets to the excellent summary and description of your time tuning and dialing everything in will appreciate the hard work you've done and perhaps spend a little more time themselves going through and checking settings, tuning and testing phasing to see what they may be able to do with their systems even if they're not as ellaborate or SQ oriented.

Unless someone else has any further questions I think you very clearly explained everything and that's exactly what I was hoping for. Until someone can really understand the reasons why anyone would go through so much trouble to tune a stereo system I don't think they can fully appreciate the difference it can make.

He is just getting started as well. Exactly why I always tell people who are active hungry to expect their system to sound worse than a passive would for at least a few weeks. Obviously some people are quicker at learning how to listen than others, but it takes time. J-Road has done a hell of a job so far though and I know in the end this system will be more than sick. :)

:woot:

Congrats on the work. The vinyl work turned out niiiiice :)

woot.gif

Congrats on the work. The vinyl work turned out niiiiice smile.gif

Thank you sir. That f-ing vinyl takes ALOT of patience.wacko.gif

Unless someone else has any further questions I think you very clearly explained everything and that's exactly what I was hoping for. Until someone can really understand the reasons why anyone would go through so much trouble to tune a stereo system I don't think they can fully appreciate the difference it can make.

He is just getting started as well. Exactly why I always tell people who are active hungry to expect their system to sound worse than a passive would for at least a few weeks. Obviously some people are quicker at learning how to listen than others, but it takes time. J-Road has done a hell of a job so far though and I know in the end this system will be more than sick. smile.gif

I want to give a BIG thanks to M5 (Sean) and Impious (Brad) for ALL the guidance.woot.gif Without you two smart fellows I would have taken ALOT longer to learn what I was doing. You guys are WORLD CLASS!!!!!

I want to ALSO thank EVERYONE else on SSA for their help and idea's, no matter how big or small.boobs2.gif

We really need to meet up sometime so I can check out that ride !!! great work. :drink40:

We really need to meet up sometime so I can check out that ride !!! great work. trink40.gif

Someday my Friend I will seek out some of you SQ Nutt's in my travels. I would LOVE to have someone that has a Tuned ear give me thier thoughts on how I did.smile.gif

Well I figured I better update the build log since a few things have changed.

I cooked the voice coil on one of the Aura 10"s. This was the result of listening to a boosted signal at too high of volume. I will admit I was showing off when it happened SO I geuss that it was an exspensive mistake. fryingpan.gif The biggest problem is when the BTL is turned up, ITS impossible to hear the mid-basses straining.

ALSO the midbass amp keeps overheating SO I will be remounting IT under the drivers seat. I have the amp mounted on ITS side in the sealed trunk, with the fins running side to side, SO the worst possible way right now. I hope that this solves the problem or I will be mounting fans or switching to a class D.

As far as the midbasses, I am using some FREE sony subs I had laying around right now. I am planning on buying some 10"er's that have a higher RMS rating SO they can handle more thermal abuse.

Yes I am a Young Bull, BUT thats how I learn.smile.gif

Experience is the Best Teacher!

Experience is the Best Teacher!

x2 and J-Road you will get it right eventually it just takes time for people who want it perfect like you, me and others out there. :drink40:

damn, you cooked an expensive midbass

I'm gonna cry when i cook the sls 8's and they were only 50 bucks lol

I just finished reading through this.

First off I was VERY happy to see that the pictures would work here on the work computer. This is a BEAUTIFUL install and some great equipment. What is next for the doors after the one blew?

Also (you may of said before) how much have you glassed before? I ask beacuse I have NEVER done it, but it does interest me.

Again great job man. You truly are a skilled artist in many medias.

J

First off I was VERY happy to see that the pictures would work here on the work computer. This is a BEAUTIFUL install and some great equipment. What is next for the doors after the one blew?

Also (you may of said before) how much have you glassed before? I ask beacuse I have NEVER done it, but it does interest me.

J

You should look at J's album, he moved to the Aura sound NS-12's and rebuilt everything. I didn't see any finished pics, but he's got one hell of allot of work done.

I bet they turn out better then the 10's did.

12" mids... thats crazy... CRAZY EPIC!

looks awesome man. I want to hear this!

If he sold tickets to hear this he could retire, soon.

If he sold food and beer in the line, tomorrow. :drink40:

Holy mother of EPIC BASS WIN!

This requires a VIDEO!

Awesome, awesome build.

Just went through the whole thing, in about a hour.

And i missed my shower time, LOL

J

Looks like time to update the build log.lol.

The Type r pods in the begining where my first fiberglass project, so counting the dash pods and 10s I am upto three sets under my belt. You will enjoy working with it also, just don't forget a box of latex gloves and a bag full of cheap 50 cent brushes. I loved Ed Roth's creations growing up and would call him a big influence in several mediums of art.

Thanks for the props. People tell me I make things look easy. :D

12" mids... thats crazy... CRAZY EPIC!

Crazy is good!! :P

Thank You. Due to your location, you sir may get a better chance than most. I will hit you up next time I am in Phenix.;)

If he sold tickets to hear this he could retire, soon.

If he sold food and beer in the line, tomorrow. :drink40:

What shall I name my cross country tour? :unsure:

Holy mother of EPIC BASS WIN!

This requires a VIDEO!

Awesome, awesome build.

Just went through the whole thing, in about a hour.

And i missed my shower time, LOL

Video's would NOT do this system justice. :huh: Go get in the shower Stinky.

Wow, someone raising the dead.

Where are the new pics bro? Stop holding out on us.

:drink40:

You got me. Looks like its time to update. :whip: