Sir-Lancelot

Sir-Lancelot's Build Log - Updated July 17th - Page 8

I am going to attempt to paint my bumpers myself. If it turns out bad, I found some black bumpers that I will just buy and replace. Want to try and get this done on the cheap so I can spend my money on important stuff like subs and batteries, crosses fingers.

youll have a problem getting the paint to stick on the chrome. people tried to warn me, but i thought i knew better. scuffed it up real good, painted it, and it looked real good for about a month. now its got so many chips ive gotta figure out what im gonna do next. probably gonna take a flap disc on a grinder and take the bumper down to raw metal and try again.

Edited by ScottXGTR

Well I finally got around to painting my enclosure. I went with a color match to the factory panels in the Yukon and a flat black on the ports. I am on the fence with the results. It is a good match as far as color, but I think it turned out kinda blah. Anyone have some ideas or feedback, I am open to suggestions.

This is one heavy ass enclosure. 49 1/2 x 28 1/2 x 27 1/2 double walled on every panel. I think my brother broke his nutz today helping me. Pussy. lol

I am extremely happy with the results of the switch from 15's to the 18's. The bass is still very flat and tight across the board. These subs just do not lose control. My system is very much Jekyll and Hyde and I am loving it. I can throw some Van Morrison or The Eagles, back off the sub level, and chill or I can level 15 the puckers and shake the doors with some R&B / Hip Hop. The subs blend perfectly with whatever I throw at them.

My wife thinks I have lost it with the huge enclosure I am toting around now, but hey.....I still have 6 seats even with the 18" twins. Life is good. :drink40:

On to the pics......

Still no video, but soon.

dscf2246a.jpg

dscf2244q.jpg

dscf2249.jpg

dscf2251qc.jpg

dscf2250.jpg

does it seem like theres any difference in sound with the ports so close to the hatch?

eh.. yeah you can use vht but it doesn't really have the right sheen for headlights. that stuff is more for turn signals and tail lights. and it won't last as long as window tint. never have been a fan of any of those rails but if they serve a purpose like keeping the kids from trashing that beautiful yukon then you gotta do what you gotta do..

dscf2360w.jpg

here's my thought. but like i said, i am no photoshop master

oh and once i find this badass sticker i lost somewhere in the house i will snappy a picky and post it. i'm sure you'll like it

Thats it. White it is. I am painting the lower valance now, had to take a break, HOT!

I am going to attempt to paint my bumpers myself. If it turns out bad, I found some black bumpers that I will just buy and replace. Want to try and get this done on the cheap so I can spend my money on important stuff like subs and batteries, crosses fingers.

youll have a problem getting the paint to stick on the chrome. people tried to warn me, but i thought i knew better. scuffed it up real good, painted it, and it looked real good for about a month. now its got so many chips ive gotta figure out what im gonna do next. probably gonna take a flap disc on a grinder and take the bumper down to raw metal and try again.

From what I was told, you need to scuff it up real good and paint it with a few coats of self etching primer prior to painting. Mine is not in great shape now so worst case it dont work and I will find a Denali or or similar bumper cover and slap on it. :drink40:

does it seem like theres any difference in sound with the ports so close to the hatch?

Not like you would think. It didn't change my score on the meter at all either. Right up on the hatch it still moves enough air to pull off a hair trick.

I will say this, it seems to be louder to the ear pushed back and maybe sounds a little better, but it's a close call.

very nice build man!

i love the lights, the xcons, the rims....can i just that sexy car??? lol

can't wait to see what else you do to the car!!

very nice build man!

i love the lights, the xcons, the rims....can i just that sexy car??? lol

can't wait to see what else you do to the car!!

Thank you Sir. I appreciate the kind words!

do you get much more movement on the hatch with the port so close, any difference at all? seems like it's right there slamming against it, waiting to break the hatch open! haha truck looks clean, subs are sex-ay!

do you get much more movement on the hatch with the port so close, any difference at all? seems like it's right there slamming against it, waiting to break the hatch open! haha truck looks clean, subs are sex-ay!

Thanks Man!

It moves a good bit both ways :lol: but yeah when it's right up on it does moves more. In fact, I cant push the button to open the glass anymore, seems the subs have knocked it loose. :o I would take the panel off and fix it, but with all the deadener and 1/2" Dynaliner foam back there it's a very tight fit.

Not much reason to open the hatch anymore, not like I can put anything back there. :Doh:

that would be a terrible idea. scuff it and paint it. paint sticks to everything.. it's gonna get chipped regardless what you do but if you do manage to strip the chrome off it will take more work to get the imperfections out and get it prepped correctly than it would be to strip the paint and repaint it. if you prep it correctly the first time it will stick. shit it would be better to make an acid bath to take the chrome off if that's what you really want.

pictures sir.. pictures.

Edited by cranberryyumyum

Looking real good man! I like the looks outside and inside! Very nice progress!

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

The Truck is lookin' sickly brotha'!!

Thank you Sir! I need to come to your neck of the woods and hit some trails!

Looking real good man! I like the looks outside and inside! Very nice progress!

Thank you, it's getting there.

One of my buddy's put one of those soccer ball magnets on it the other day. Made me LOL when I found it. He used to pick on me saying I was a soccer mom since I don't drive a truck anymore.

He cant say that anymore!

And Cranberryyumyum is 100% correct. Prep work is the most important part of painting. I have 3 coats of etching primer, 4-5coats of paint, and 4-5 coats of clear. If it chips, it wont be because I didn't try.

:drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

:drink40::drink40: :drink40:

Back at ya!

I know it's not Euro, but that's how us southern boys roll. lol

The Photoshop pic looks good. When I painted the bumpers on my white T-type, I had the chrome sandblasted off the bumpers, then came back up with an etching primer, sealer, then paint and clear. They were still nice and white when I sold the car.

i scuffed mine with a DA starting at 100 grit, then 220, then 400. then 2 coats etching primer, 3 coats color, and 3 coats clear. wet sanded the last color coat with 2000 grit to knock down the orange peel. wetsanded again after the 2nd coat of clear. it looked top notch once i was done. but it didnt last. ive been told that an adhesion promoter would reduce the size of chips, but bare metal is the way to go.

ill see if my buddy has a sandblaster i can borrow. that will make it easier to get a uniform surface.