Soapbox

How much power is considered to much?

power pigs  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How much power is to much?

Im planning on sitting 4.5-6k I have 2k right now.. questions like this arent answerable because its mainly preference..

Is chocolate good? - obvs there is no right or wrong answer.

Sit back and enjoy yr system :popcorn: Dont :suicide-santa: trying to find out how much is too much..

Build what you want, if it's too much for you downgrade. Common sense.

Build what you want, if it's too much for you downgrade. Common sense.

Exactly, if you buy quality products, they should be able to sell quite easy. down grade or upgrade.

I can't help but chuckle at the people running 4kw+ on a pair of drivers in a "daily" system. Considering the power compression occurring and the general inefficiencies involved....how little of an audible benefit they are receiving for all of that additional money spent on the amplifier and additional electrical required to support such a system.

It's quite simple, some have 4k because it's more than the guy running 3k :)

There are a large bunch of idiots on the web that have no idea what power does or why you'd need it. IMO going ballistic on your charging system to add some extra large amplifier is just compensating for a lack of manhood.

my girlfriend just has really big hands! :unsure:

So what should I do if I want to run two Nightshades for instance? The new ones are going to be rated 2k. So maybe I need two SAZ2000D each. Tell me where I am wrong... It will be 4kw "daily" ?

So what should I do if I want to run two Nightshades for instance? The new ones are going to be rated 2k. So maybe I need two SAZ2000D each. Tell me where I am wrong... It will be 4kw "daily" ?

You dont need 4000+ watts for those subs at all, yes they can take 4000 watts or better. You can throw a 2000 watt amp on those subs and be suprised and impressed, it all goes down to personal preference. Some will throw underrated power at there subs, some will throw rated power at there subs then you have those that throw overrated power at there subs. I try to stay in the first two categories, since more than rated is not called for or necessary.

i say never run above RMS but still have head room.

for me, i don't need more than 2500.

2000 on the BTL, 500 for components < im only going to use 250 but i'm doing front stage only

and i can't say i wouldn't do more, because i haven't heard my BTL yet, but from what i've hear, i would have no desire for a second one. not in a daily.

just run RMS and leave a little head room. simple.

You dont need 4000+ watts for those subs at all, yes they can take 4000 watts or better. You can throw a 2000 watt amp on those subs and be surpised and impressed, it all goes down to personal preference. Some will throw underrated power at their subs, some will throw rated power at there subs then you have those that throw overrated power at there subs. I try to stay in the first two categories, since more than rated is not called for or necessary.

I don't have a setup yet, so I don't know if it will be loud enough or I'll get used to it and want more.

But If i run 2k instead of 4k, the difference in the best situation will be 3 db which I heard if noticeable.

Will live, will see... :)

To each his or her own. The purpose of the topic wasn't in no way to bash people; yet some chose to do so. I am curiosly looking for a cross section of the car audio enthusiast. As an an engineer I like to quantify. And also being a Sociologist I like looking at social demographics. Why is it only SQ folks act like Nazi's?

Edited by Soapbox

Why is it only SQ folks act like Nazi's?

Huh?

I know thats why I stick with stuff below 2000 watts.

you don't even have a car...

:peepwall:

x2

I'm going to have 400 watts on tap for my substage, and 200 for my front stage. So 600 watts RMS possible when it's all installed.

To each his or her own. The purpose of the topic wasn't in no way to bash people; yet some chose to do so. I am curiosly looking for a cross section of the car audio enthusiast. As an an engineer I like to quantify. And also being a Sociologist I like looking at social demographics. Why is it only SQ folks act like Nazi's?

Saying "I'm a sociologist" and "I don't want to bash," then throwing out something like that...I'm kinda appalled that you would even consider a comparison to Nazism. No, it's not because I like the SQ side of this hobby, but rather the flippant use of a term so serious in its nature and history.

I would suggest hitting the books some more to see the fallacy of comparing Fascism to people who like to hear the majority of the musical frequency spectrum with clarity.

And no...it's NOT cool "cuz this is only the internets, lulz rofl."

Back on topic...sweet spot for ME...500 watts for the front stage, 500 watts for the sub. That's the ballpark, at least.

^^^ excellent words of wisdom, hope he understands it.

Thank you :) I know I'm a noob here and young (25), but goodness...

You've got a few years on me ;)

You've got a few years on me ;)

Were the same age, your not that young (jt js a mixed crowd here).

I've only got 250w RMS (rated) going to each of my 15" Celestions (98db efficiency), plenty loud enough to rattle everything in my Tahoe. Got 125 watts going to each of the 10's in my center console, brings the low end staging a bit towards the front. For my highs, only running 40watts x 4. Hmm.... 910 watts at full rated power, and I get headaches if I play it for more than 15-20 minutes at volume just shy of distortion.

You guys running 5K daily have to be nearly deaf.

I could never truly appreciate a true SQ system. I'm like deaf in one ear.

Classic canned spam: Depends on the install. More specifically: the enthusiast.

I used to pick on SQL guys. This was when I ran 3k wrms daily and competed with 9k.

12 years later I run 120wrms to my subwoofer and 400wrms to my components & mids. While I do appreciate more "powerful" sub installs, there is nearly NO need for it anymore.

As far as in competition - totally depends on the install.

Classic canned spam: Depends on the install. More specifically: the enthusiast.

I used to pick on SQL guys. This was when I ran 3k wrms daily and competed with 9k.

12 years later I run 120wrms to my subwoofer and 400wrms to my components & mids. While I do appreciate more "powerful" sub installs, there is nearly NO need for it anymore.

As far as in competition - totally depends on the install.

:drink40:

i think more than 5k per sub is a lot