Penguin4x4

Synthetic Oils & Changing Intervals

Fram got bought out a couple years ago they used to be pretty good

Hifonics- what kind of car you got? And how big of a shot on that bottle

I have Many cars myself. 93LX Coupe,65 Sport Fury (383),70 BIG tire Maverick,& 68 Impala. It was a customers car I just did a install on and finishing the tune I was referring to. I'm NOT one into spraying and telling. But I will tell you I do NO V-8 installs with Less than 175. Most of my stuff get 250-350 depending on if it's a single or double and tire/progressive controller. NX has came sooooooooo far that with the right tune it is VERY safe and NOTHING comes close to the power gains. I can take a 13 second car and make it run 10's ALL day.

And on the Fram tip. They actually have been shit since the mid to early 90's when they got bought out by Allied Signal. They Lost ALL there racing heritage and major r & d on ANY type of quality back in the late 80's.

Allied Signal has used this to there benefit due to the fact that No one knew any better that they went to shit. I know the QCM (Quality Control Manager) at there biggest plant and he was told to shut up and look the other way if wanted to continue to collect a check. Cut 3 of there POS filters open (same part #) they will All look different! Some filter media is dark brown and burnt while other will be white and nice looking. They actually get the media shipped from over seas. There pricing scale gets cheaper the darker it is. . . . . . . . . . . . . . JUNK

70% of there filters go into FULL Bypass in 35% of there life.

Edited by HiFonicsHorder1

And with a mercedez benz that costs 40k+, i think a 10 dollar oil change more often than not is totally worth it, right?

mine was 12.5, and oil changes are about 60 bucks a pop :lol2:

That's what you get into when you buy a benz. Cost for maintenance on my moms Benz is pucking absolutely silly.

Royal purple is garbage! Look at one of there bottle and notice how there is NO designation for SE,SD,etc because it doesn't meet ANY. They have stated it is because it exceeds all those but WTFE.

Yeah I picked up bottle of RP in the store before and thought the same thing; which is why I stick to the products with proven track records: Mobil 1, Red Line, the above stated Pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil.

WIX filters are niiiiiice

I've found that maintenance and fuel costs so far have been about on par with the average HD diesel pickup, so I'm pleased

Royal purple is garbage! Look at one of there bottle and notice how there is NO designation for SE,SD,etc because it doesn't meet ANY. They have stated it is because it exceeds all those but WTFE.

Yeah I picked up bottle of RP in the store before and thought the same thing; which is why I stick to the products with proven track records: Mobil 1, Red Line, the above stated Pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil.

WIX filters are niiiiiice

Save your money and Please don't waste it on Mobil 1. They changed there base a few years back to save on cost and increase profit and it Lost A LOT of it's quality. Red Line is Great for any type of flat tappet lifter motor due to the High content of Zinc. You will see Way better UOA's with the Penzoil Platinum than the Mobil 1 I have tested and proven it to 3 or 4 of my customers now with high dollar imports.

The comment about Penzoil. . . . . . Yes they WERE Shit back in the day with the wax base. I worked in machine shops for 5 years and you could see right off the bat a Old School Penzoil block because the lifter valley would be filled with a 1"-3"s of sludge.

My opinion must have been formed back during this formulation. When I worked at a shop our mechanics would bag hard on Pennzoil because of their propensity to cause sludge. I have not used or heard anything on their newer stuff so maybe it is better and my judgment is just dated.

Here is an example of a HIGH quality filter and a POS cheapy.

Look at just the difference in size. This was on a girlfriends little 4 cylinder import.

fd4a1de7ddc6.jpg

bf7b21655a6e.jpg

My dad changes his 3k - 5k. He travels around the states, has an 04 Ram with 160 miles on it and it drives like a "raped ape"

He read that 10k/10month statement and said fuuuuucckk nooo, half that.