BigBadRod

Tuning to 32hz, 37hz, 40hz or higher

I took my woofer to my install bay today and they were shocked I wanted to tune to 33hz. They felt that was way too low. Now, I listen to all types of music, pop, #1 hits, old school rock etc... but mostly Sirius hio channels and some Ipod songs (JayZ etc...) I just want to be sure this box is tuned to where I need it to be. He wants to build it to 4 cubic ft and tune it to 38 - 40hz but I see almost everyone on here tuned lower. Thoughts?

I took my woofer to my install bay today and they were shocked I wanted to tune to 33hz. They felt that was way too low. Now, I listen to all types of music, pop, #1 hits, old school rock etc... but mostly Sirius hio channels and some Ipod songs (JayZ etc...) I just want to be sure this box is tuned to where I need it to be. He wants to build it to 4 cubic ft and tune it to 38 - 40hz but I see almost everyone on here tuned lower. Thoughts?

Stick with what Fi recommends. Those guys probably have never delt with any Fi products

that's why i build my own enclosure

The guy wants to build your enclosure against the manufacturers recommendations?

I'd build my own or have someone with more experience do it.

I have a 15 BL Fully Loaded. I think they are worried that it will be too low for the type of music I listed to. As an example I currently have playing in my car The Game - Big Money which is great. I just don't want these guys to be right, I tune it to 35 hz and miss a bunch of bass from the songs I listen to.

At this point, I will take your words for it and have him build it tuned to 35hz.

Edited by BigBadRod

Tuning it "too low" is not a problem. . . .Tuning it too high is. You either end up with the lowest notes missing, or you try to play them and end up with woofer damage. . .

My box in my suburban with (4) Avalanche 15's (not the wall) started tuned to 32 Hz. As I wanted to increase my numbers on the meter, I tried 35 Hz and 38 Hz. 38 Hz was louder on 40+ Hz notes, but there were definitely songs that were missing lower output with it tuned to 38 hz vs. 32 hz.

If you want numbers, tune higher, if you are playing music, I would not tune over 34-35 Hz.

Brian

So for 1 BL 15 fully loaded running 900 watts RMS in the trunk of my 300c tuned to 34-35hz I am going hear and feel the bass for Young Jeezy as well as say Audioslave? My dads Rolling Stones will still sound decent? 33hz was going to be number all along and then I went to 40hz with the shops suggestion and now I am back to 34hz. My car goes in tomorrow.

I am going to have him resin the inside of the enclosure as well.

The lower the tune the better low end extension your gonna have. The higher it is the more pronounced and tight its gonna sound. Thats from my experience though and its what ive gathered from all the boxes and setups ive tried. At the same time i had a good friend design mine whos been in the business for years and tuned at 30hz mine has a super wide frequency range. We got mine worked out to go from 18hz all the way up too 79hz and stay almost perfectly flat all the way. So many things to take into consideration but from what i know about BLs when i had mine 34hz worked like a charm in 4cubes after displacement. hope this helps and plz forgive me if this sounds stupid im dead tired.

Tune to 32 and call it a day. My last box was just a lil under 32 and it did good on Jeezy, to All That Remains, to Slipknot, to Tech N9ne.

The numbers recommended on the BL 15 page for enclosure etc... are those numbers factoring in the displacement of the driver? If not, what is the displacement of the BL 15 fully loaded? I am tuning to 34hz

The displacement of the BL and any other subwoofer they sell is on there site no matter fully loaded or not it will have the same displacement. When manufacturers give recommended specs it is talking about box volume after displacements (sub, port and bracing).

i had my box built false (18 btl) and it was then tuned to around 40 hz.

of course it had good deep bass, way better than my l7s had on 35 hz.

so it depends hugely on the sub model you use. but now in on a 6th order bandpass with lower tuning (30 hz / 60 hz).

but i would never go with 40 hz again since im more into sq.