dbrown23

Best Buy Drops Rockford

I found out some news when I went to work the other day Best Buy has dropped rockford and now will be carrying kicker and polk audio. I have talked several other installers that work for best buy as I do, and most of them really are excited about it. I am just wondering how well its going to go over. I admit that our selections are limited in stores,but ther are a lot of customers that do come and ask for Kicker products. The only thing that I can see that would make this not be a good move, is that if they dont carry the full line in stores and just keep the low end stuff.

"The only thing that I can see that would make this not be a good move, is that if they dont carry the full line in stores and just keep the low end stuff. "

yeah i hear that. The best buy's near me always do that. Like they have p1's or p2's if you're lucky. Pretty good head unit selection though in comparison to subs. I was impressed they had my 9886, didn't have the 9887 of course. They did match my internet pricing as well which i also didn't expect.

excited about the kickers!!! i wish they could keep them all :shrug:

Both companies make good woofers and amplifiers, there is more money to be made in Kicker though.

true that Duran. Kicker has so much more curb appeal, or at least where i live it does.

yea definately more money in kicker. lots of kids want the kickers. their name is so well known. so it's a good move on both parts.

still won't catch me buying anything besides a deck there though :)

It was supposed to be a hush hush deal, but through the grape vine I hear Rockford may be in some financial problems.

Something to keep in mind though, your average kid off the street has no idea what quality car audio products are, hence the reason they go to Best Buy. Best Buy would never spend the money stocking their stores with stuff like Rockford Power series subs, or Kicker CVX's and L7's or Solo X's because most kids won't spend the money on them. Those that are willing to buy them will buy them cheaper online somewhere and install them on their own. The best your going to find from Kicker will be the new low line amps they introduced at CES along with their CVR's.

Its funny I work there have axcess to all this stuff and none of the things in my car come from the store. My store stays pretty stocked on decks we sell a lot of in dash video pieces, which are 100 a pop to install. We are a small store but we do quite a bit of work. I am just really egear to see what the selection is going to be. Some of the other installers that used to work for circuit city claim that the return rate on amps and subs are about to go up.

Im pretty sure it was rockford who dropped bestbuy ;)

Something to keep in mind though, your average kid off the street has no idea what quality car audio products are, hence the reason they go to Best Buy. Best Buy would never spend the money stocking their stores with stuff like Rockford Power series subs, or Kicker CVX's and L7's or Solo X's because most kids won't spend the money on them. Those that are willing to buy them will buy them cheaper online somewhere and install them on their own. The best your going to find from Kicker will be the new low line amps they introduced at CES along with their CVR's.

Yeah, when I worked there it was hard to sell the bottom barrel garbage, even after adding up the cost of a decent stereo there was always sticker shock, it was always hard to sell them on financing too and even when they would go for it not a lot of them would qualify and if they did it was only for like $500 so what you could get them set up with would be very limited.

Nope, I heard from an insider who was at the meeting where the decision was announced. It was supposed to be kept quiet, but Rockford leaked the story to look as though they dropped BBY.

Edited by shakes

Yeah, when I worked there it was hard to sell the bottom barrel garbage, even after adding up the cost of a decent stereo there was always sticker shock, it was always hard to sell them on financing too and even when they would go for it not a lot of them would qualify and if they did it was only for like $500 so what you could get them set up with would be very limited.

they should let me be a sellsman cuz how hard could it be with kicker there now lol

Nope, I heard from an insider who was at the meeting where the decision was announced. It was supposed to be kept quiet, but Rockford leaked the story to look as though they dropped BBY.

Yea sure buddy and lady gaga is really a chick

“From our perspective, our business is focused on core car audio,” said Rockford’s President Bill Jackson. “We are focused on the amplifier, speaker, subwoofer side of the business, and that is a slightly different model than what Best Buy is really good at and is focusing on right now. Their strategy is connectivity, and it’s about iPod integration, safety, portable navigation and those types of products and that really doesn’t correlate to core car audio — that’s where our focus is.”

You could be right though.. idk

BBY stock is at $38 and a solid investment. Rockford is a penny stock. Do you think a large corporation would give up it's largest sales tool on principle?

I didn't think so.

I have also heard that rockford was in finacial trouble as well, remember that they are a coporation that has a board of people that control the company best buy isnt like that. Honestly we havent really been selling alot of their product lately. I have 3 p3 12s 3 and 3 p500.1s that I cant get rid of. The only thing that I sell consistantly are the amp kits and other install products.

I have also heard that rockford was in finacial trouble as well, remember that they are a coporation that has a board of people that control the company best buy isnt like that. Honestly we havent really been selling alot of their product lately. I have 3 p3 12s 3 and 3 p500.1s that I cant get rid of. The only thing that I sell consistantly are the amp kits and other install products.

Dick doesn't run the whole show over there, Best Buy is set up just like any other international multi billion dollar company.

Think of it. Rockford isn't run by audiophiles, it's run by business men who have an obligation to the investors, not to steer the company in a less profitable direction because they want to deal with "core audio". The people in the board room don't give a shit what Rockford produces, sells or how it works, all they care about is making the company money, their salaries depend on it.

I have also heard that rockford was in finacial trouble as well, remember that they are a coporation that has a board of people that control the company best buy isnt like that.

Best Buy isn't a corporation with a Board of Directors?

That's interesting considering their stock is traded on the NYSE and their website lists the members of the board of directors.

Dick doesn't run the whole show over there, Best Buy is set up just like any other international multi billion dollar company.

Think of it. Rockford isn't run by audiophiles, it's run by business men who have an obligation to the investors, not to steer the company in a less profitable direction because they want to deal with "core audio". The people in the board room don't give a shit what Rockford produces, sells or how it works, all they care about is making the company money, their salaries depend on it.

Thats a very true statement, at the end of the day thats all everyone cares about. From the investors all the way down to the installers. But me personally I take pride in my work that I do from the basic of installs to custom work. I also want the customers that I have ot be satisfied with there product. Basically BBY is giving the cutomers what they have been asking for for years. You would be surprised at how many customers I get in the store that come in and ask for Kicker products and the dont want anything else but that. There is another shop in town that sells it but the owner told me that he hasnt beeb pushing it much over the past few years. Mainly because people come in tryn to get him to match internet pricing on product and he wont do it because he woont make any money. He says that hes pushing Treo now since they protect there dealers.

Edited by dbrown23

this is what I heard also...

The last thing rockford wants is to appear as though they've been axed. The statement they released screams they've been dumped. Do they really expect someone to believe they care about the audio and not the money? Please...

Yea sure buddy and lady gaga is really a chick

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RzcoxeYYdcM

She still has AWESOME titties when she isn't in true form!

RF making money is directly related to what RF produces, sells, and how and where it's sold. It would be impossible to make business decisions at that level without an understanding of what the market is demanding, what the market will support, how RF's product mix in both features and qualities as well as price fits with those demands and how RF's products compare to it's competitors, what markets it wants to compete in and how it wants to compete in them, etc.

BBY stock is at $38 and a solid investment. Rockford is a penny stock. Do you think a large corporation would give up it's largest sales tool on principle?

I didn't think so.

That's a pretty naive view to take. There are several reasons why a company may choose to pull out of the "big box" market.

The Man Who Said No To Walmart

Given your posts in this thread, I'd gander a guess you don't much understand business.

RF making money is directly related to what RF produces, sells, and how and where it's sold. It would be impossible to make business decisions at that level without an understanding of what the market is demanding, what the market will support, how RF's product mix in both features and qualities as well as price fits with those demands and how RF's products compare to it's competitors, what markets it wants to compete in and how it wants to compete in them, etc.

I didn't think so.

That's a pretty naive view to take. There are several reasons why a company may choose to pull out of the "big box" market.

The Man Who Said No To Walmart

Given your posts in this thread, I'd gander a guess you don't much understand business.

I was speaking objectively from a business standpoint. The people in charge of Rockford are interested in one thing, money. The creative design is left to those in the field. Believe what you will but I think it's naive to think in any terms other than money. I know in my business, if someone wants to buy, I sell. I don't care about their ideals or anything else, if they're going to buy, I'm going to sell. That's a cute story about the lawn chairs, but I'd be willing to bet it's not common.

For the record, I understand business quite well. I'm sorry if you don't believe me. You're not looking at this from a business standpoint, you're looking at it from a standpoint of a guy who's into car audio, don't get your passions in the way of business. Given what I was told and how the average business is run I find it hard to believe Rockford dumped Best Buy. There's a lot more reasons to keep your largest customer than not to. I'd be amazed if Rockford's profits went up from this decision.

aww come on...RF has plastic and aluminum woofers

why would best buy drop them :ehh: