BanginGMC

8" in the doors.

I seen on a build log this guy put 8" subs in his doors for mid bass. He didnt use a box or anything but a adapter so the sub can be mounted. - i am thinking about doing this to my s15 but i imagined that the sub will need the right enclosure to play good. So it leaves me with the question.. will an 8inch sub play good in a door without anything but an adapter for the sub to be mounted.

I cannot ask him how it sounded because i dont remeber where the log was.

-thanks Dom.

There is a difference between an 8" sub and 8" midbass. Some 8" subs may play well into midbass frequencies, others won't. Some 8" midbass will play well into the subbass region, others won't. Are you looking for an 8" driver to play midbass, or an 8" driver to play subbass? They are two different things and I'm confused as to what it is you are wanting.

As to the question of space; It depends on the driver and what type of response you are seeking.

Sorry for the confusion, im wanting to use the 8inch for mid bass. I wasnt aware of there even being a 8inch mid bass sub, i didnt think it would go that big in size. I thought it was a sub bass sub being used for mid bass, as you can see where the confusion started. - So to recap would an 8inch mid bass driver perform good in a door?

I am aware that each driver needs a certant amount of space etc. etc. etc. but i see mid bass speakers in doors all the time with no other enclosure but the door itself.. once again, you can see where i am getting confused.

Yes they should perform well in the doors, im going for an 8" in my doors with an infinite baffle.

Most car audio midbass are designed to run IB. Your door is the enclosure. That is a good thing beacuse building a box inside your door would be a major undertaking. If you can fit a 7" or 8" midbass in your door it really helps position the lower frequencies to the front. Since I have put 8's in my doors I have found I can back way down on the sub level.

Yes they should perform well in the doors, im going for an 8" in my doors with an infinite baffle.

What models? - if you dont mind me asking.

Also, are you going to have tweeters still? i want to get 8" but i dont know where the tweeters would come into play.. with the 8s are you getting them in a componet set? with crossovers and tweeters?

Some 8" midbass may do well in a car door IB.....some may not.

Also, are you going to have tweeters still? i want to get 8" but i dont know where the tweeters would come into play.. with the 8s are you getting them in a componet set? with crossovers and tweeters?

Are you looking for a component set or just 8" midbass?

What exactly are you trying to do here?

x2, good question? Im going to run some Image Dynamic Horns with my 8" midbass, depends on listening preference and what your trying to achieve.

Im looking for a componet set with 8" midbass. I have a s15 so there is ONLY dash and rear pannel speakers, so im going to have to take my door apart and either cut my own speaker hole or get some sort of an enclosure. Im scrapping the dash and pannel speakers, so i am starting from strach here. Ive looked around and havent been able to find an 8" comp set. - well any worth having.

x2, good question? Im going to run some Image Dynamic Horns with my 8" midbass, depends on listening preference and what your trying to achieve.

I only listen to rap and what im trying to do is just get some nice midbass that'll go good with 2 15" HDC3s & 2 AQ2200.

... 8inch mid bass sub, i didnt think it would go that big in size. I thought it was a sub bass sub being used for mid bass...

To avoid any confusion in the future, midbass and subbass are two different things. Think of midbass as middle bass, as that's what it is short for; and sub bass as below bass, as that's what "sub" means.

and you actually need neither but instead a midrange if i am readimg your request right

... 8inch mid bass sub, i didnt think it would go that big in size. I thought it was a sub bass sub being used for mid bass...

To avoid any confusion in the future, midbass and subbass are two different things. Think of midbass as middle bass, as that's what it is short for; and sub bass as below bass, as that's what "sub" means.

Yes i know midbass and subbass are two different things. I just thought THAT guy was using a subbass driver for his mids, because i didnt kow mids went that big in size.

and you actually need neither but instead a midrange if i am readimg your request right

can you elaborate?

If you use a sub just make sure it will play up to your crossover point. That is all.

can you elaborate?

I think he means midbass and tweeter ONLY ain't gonna cut it?

can you elaborate?

Exactly. Most midbasses play up to 300Hz or so, most tweeters aren't so effective below 1.6kHz. I am a fan of underlapping but that is too much.

can you elaborate?

Exactly. Most midbasses play up to 300Hz or so, most tweeters aren't so effective below 1.6kHz. I am a fan of underlapping but that is too much.

The options for 8s in the doors are pretty much:

Midbass

Midrange

Tweeter

or

Midbass

Midrange run full range

For some the 3-4" midrange is enough...others need tweeters. I'll be doing 7s in the doors with 3s on the dash, pretty much on-axis, full range. Midbasses 63-300, midranges high passed at ~350Hz. Hopefully that's enough top end for me...other have reported good results :)

If you can get a wideranger on axis it should be more than enough for anyone.

Memphis made a nice set of 8" Msync 2-way components that I used in my car for a couple years. Problem is the 8" IIRC plays up to ~3khz, which will beam and may not work out so well in the doors. Mine imaged pretty well in kicks, however.

I'm not sure of your budget, but ID makes a 2-way 6x9 component set....the 6x9 being roughly equivalent in cone area to an 8", and they are good quality speakers albeit a little pricey.

If you have the equipment and knowledge to go active, Exodus Audio recently released their Anarchy mids. They are 7" drivers, but given their long stroke (12mm) have equal displacement to many 8" midbass. They are also supposed to be able to extend up to ~2.5khz, so they should work well in a 2-way with a standard tweeter.

HLCD with 8's would be another option, but again require you go active and have the equipment and knowledge to effectively use them. I hate recommending going active, especially with horns, without knowing someone's level of abilities though......

What is your budget, and what is your competency level (for lack of a better phrase)?

go for it dude..but plan plan plan

i had a peerless sls 8 fiberglassed in the doors and a tang bang mid in the a-pillar

i kinda rushed the build since i needed a car and it came out sounding shitty..now the car...well the interior is in my garage in a million pieces =(

my 6.5" drivers with a very powerful amp does just as good as any 8" out there ... I run mine full range with no crossover ... mine are in the kick pannels (they staged better in the kicks instead of the doors) ... just a suggestion sir ...

my 6.5" drivers with a very powerful amp does just as good as any 8" out there ... I run mine full range with no crossover

ROFL, as any 8 my ass.