b34tBoX

How do you guys crimp larger ring terminals?

^^^^^ looking good, I just got finish pulling my 1/0 wire out so I can crimp it and trying to figure out how I want to crimp it. Where did you get the hydraulic crimper from and around how much was it?

^^^^^ looking good, I just got finish pulling my 1/0 wire out so I can crimp it and trying to figure out what to do. Where did you get the hydraulic crimper from and around how much was it?

amazon.com has one for like 61 dollars.

harbor freight.

was ~50 bones on sale. well worth it for me. can cut every large cable to length and crimp under hood, or in car. and not have to worry about hammers or a fire from a torch.

Solder is pretty easy to do, but just as easy to do wrong. crimp tightly, either tape or heat shrink and it'll last a long time.

All my cables are actually welding cable. Once I measured and cut them to the lengths I needed, I took them back to the welding shop. They installed the connectors and crimped / welded them together (i'm not exactly shure how they done it). All I had to do was shrink boot them. They worked great for me.

Edited by Cablguy184

Been using these in a dozen or so installs now (amp wiring as well as battery racks and battery relocations), snip some solder into 1/2" lengths, stuff the lug full, hold it (cup upright) right in front of a ceramic propane heater element (~600* on the surface) with a long jaw needle nose until the solder puddles, quickly pull it out and jam the cable in, let cool a a while before handling by hand cause they retain heat. 0 resistance and super solid full contact with the wire.

9520-1104.gif

Crimp > solder

That is if you crimp properly. Most people do not.

I agree with this statement 100%.

I usually use pliers to 'break' the joint apart. I stick the wire in and fold one side down really well, and then over lay the second side. I then solder the tip just to make it look pretty.

here's what I use. just beat it with a hammer and it produces a really nice crimp. This one was purchased from metra nut I believe select products has one similar for around 30 bucks.

wirecrimper001.jpg

wirecrimper002.jpg

wirecrimper003.jpg

wirecrimper005.jpg

^^^^ Im planning on buying one of these soon, can you also lay the terminal in there the other way it still works. Thanks for any info.

you will want to place the seam toward the bottom, the "V" keeps the seam from spreading.

you will want to place the seam toward the bottom, the "V" keeps the seam from spreading.

Ok I got you, thanks for the info since I will definitely be getting one when I buy my welding cable from weldingsupply.com

k, did a test ring of 1/0, first time soldering.

I was trying to follow the same technique as in this video:

Here' the result.

solder.jpg

I was trying to "cap" the end of the terminal with solder like in the video, but it just absorbed into the wire too easily, like a sponge.

However, the entire terminal is rock solid now. Success?

I used a propane torch at about 1/4 power and 60/40 tin/lead solder.

I did a 4AWG ring terminal, the solder appeared to flow right through the terminal.

Still no cap, but the terminal is once again solid.

Maybe the guy was using a different kind of solder?

Edited by b34tBoX