tejcurrent

2 21" Wardens

awesome setup ... subs look massive.

You make the alt bracket out of mdf to test fit? then getting one cut to match ??

Yes sir. A lot of stuff has been going on, subs are wired to 1 ohm, but I have to keep it turned down for electrical reasons till the alts are in.

I made an entirely new design using two layers of 1/4" steel instead of 1 thick bracket. It just fits better. I talked to a shop who is going to do auto-cad and CNC for me, may make a few extra's and sell them off to help pay for mine. All that's left is a final test-fit and figure out where to place 2 idler pulleys for best fit. Let me try to find a few new pictures.

Okay, after a bit of digging and some uploading here are things as they look now.

This is how it will sit in the engine bay.

bracket1.jpg

Maintains the factory alternator location- meaning the little curve on the top left is where the 4th alt goes (that's under the hood right now)

bracket2.jpg

View of the back "bracing" piece. It's a smaller version of the front that gives strength to the thinnest points between the alts- which is still a nice 3" wide strip.

bracket3.jpg

Side view

bracket4.jpg

Also I took the dash out of my '01 tahoe and swapped it with the parts for an '05. Basically the dash was 1.5 din, I wanted a double din. I'd rate it 6 on a 1-10 difficulty scale to do the conversion. I had to buy a new dash bezel, and the black plastic piece that houses the a/c controls and radio. Then trim part of the corner, cut out the back, cut out the metal bracing for the dash, and add 3/5" spacers to the radio housing to make it flush. Then also add spacers to the a/c controls. Also the dash bezel was from a work truck, having a navy color so I had to repaint it to match my car. Also the best-buy dash kit (metra I think) had to be trimmed to allow the screen to flip out, and the corners squared off even to fit over the monitor. Give or take maybe 3-4 hours to install including wiring.

NOT MY TAHOE in this picture, but this is a before of how it looked:

8496770033_large.jpg

And this is how it sits now (Pioneer 4200dvd):

New_dash_1.jpg

Now that my gank cd player has been replaced I'll be working on the electrical again. It's funny because with the screen off (just playing music) it looks factory compared to the aftermarket single din decks.

Okay, after a bit of digging and some uploading here are things as they look now.

This is how it will sit in the engine bay.

bracket1.jpg

Maintains the factory alternator location- meaning the little curve on the top left is where the 4th alt goes (that's under the hood right now)

bracket2.jpg

View of the back "bracing" piece. It's a smaller version of the front that gives strength to the thinnest points between the alts- which is still a nice 3" wide strip.

bracket3.jpg

Side view

bracket4.jpg

Also I took the dash out of my '01 tahoe and swapped it with the parts for an '05. Basically the dash was 1.5 din, I wanted a double din. I'd rate it 6 on a 1-10 difficulty scale to do the conversion. I had to buy a new dash bezel, and the black plastic piece that houses the a/c controls and radio. Then trim part of the corner, cut out the back, cut out the metal bracing for the dash, and add 3/5" spacers to the radio housing to make it flush. Then also add spacers to the a/c controls. Also the dash bezel was from a work truck, having a navy color so I had to repaint it to match my car. Also the best-buy dash kit (metra I think) had to be trimmed to allow the screen to flip out, and the corners squared off even to fit over the monitor. Give or take maybe 3-4 hours to install including wiring.

NOT MY TAHOE in this picture, but this is a before of how it looked:

8496770033_large.jpg

And this is how it sits now (Pioneer 4200dvd):

New_dash_1.jpg

Now that my gank cd player has been replaced I'll be working on the electrical again. It's funny because with the screen off (just playing music) it looks factory compared to the aftermarket single din decks.

Looking Great man keep up the awesome work!! Im very impressed with the wardens..It seems its an SPL woofer but I heard a pair of 18s and could not beleive how musical they were..They were being powered by a Sound Digital 10,000 watt amp and even with that they sounded incredible.. I too wish I had the money definately would be running these..Kurt

I was going out of town this weekend and stopped along the highway for lunch. I lucked out and there was a show going on across th road so I got to meter. I still only have things about 1/2 up because any more and the amp protects due to low voltage. I need to get that alternator bracket made when I get the chance.

I had to pull my luggage out of my port to meter, I did 151.6 @ 42 hz, and 151 flat at 32 hz. I basically drove my truck w/ trailer through the lanes, ate lunch, and stopped back by and got 1st place. I wish I could have stayed to talk more to people but at least I could get a feel for where I am right now.

I am thinking just fixing my electrical issues will get me to my goal, then there are many more things left to do on this box to gain here and there.

I got the center console ready for the XS Power Voltage Control Module too:

console_1.jpg

console_7.jpg

console_4.jpg

console_9.jpg

console_10.jpg

dash_1.jpg

dash_2.jpg

Also if once my alternators are in my amp still goes into protect I'm either reconing to run at 2 ohms, or buying a second 1000.1. I'd rather do the second option but I'd have to look for a used one and there aren't very many.

ur the man Troy

im on E too but different user name

i followed ur build over there & saw u build it step by step

great job ! :woot:

I like it. I like it alot.

Thanks a lot everyone. I doubt I'll ever meter at 20hz, I think the lowest c/s music I listen to has some 26hz tones but that's it.

SPL_man, whats your screen name over on e? I'm still not done building it but I can't keep from making babies and they're eating up my build money :ohnoes9:

Thanks a lot everyone. I doubt I'll ever meter at 20hz, I think the lowest c/s music I listen to has some 26hz tones but that's it.

SPL_man, whats your screen name over on e? I'm still not done building it but I can't keep from making babies and they're eating up my build money :ohnoes9:

lol babies dang sure eat up build monies with a quickness !

You're not lying! I'm looking for another 1000.1 if anyone knows of a used one f/s. I'll be getting in on the group buy of spl meters here this week hopefully.

You should do 10k rms per warden.... :peepwall:

You should do 10k rms per warden.... :peepwall:

If I could afford another new 1000.1 I would, until then I'm going to just look for a good used one. I'll drive 10+ hours 1 way to pick one up in the US for a fair price.

I can't turn things up with my current charging system, but even on roughly 1/2 power there is not much excursion. If things go like they are I might pull one sub out and do 1 21 on 10,000 @ 2 ohms for a while, maybe with a more SPL oriented box. edit- I just realized too I'd need at least 3 more d3100s if I add another amp, which means another grand in batts and wiring. I don't see it happening too soon.

I tried out my bracket mock up this week and 3 of the spacers were too long. I have to trim those before retrying it. I also tried out the belt wrap but the 127.25" belt wasn't long enough :( I picked up a 135.5" belt in the hopes it will work, otherwise I'll be redesigning things because the longest I can order locally is 136.25. I'll try it again with the new belt and hopefully get pics tomorrow. May be 2-3 weeks till I can get the bracket machined if all works out. If it doesn't I have no clue when I'll finish designing things. Maybe some smaller pulleys would let it fit, but that's the next step if this fails.

I got to hit you up on my next trip through there from Florence.

pm me you cell # if you don't mind. I want a demo!

:drink40:

I found a few pics I took while test fitting. You can see where pulleys need to be. I was at least a good 6 inches short, and this belt is 9 inches difference.

alts_1.jpg

alts_2.jpg

Also looking at the pics, it's funny how when you wire for 4 alts and don't have them in how bad wiring looks. I have my extra + runs on the alternator post, and grounds on the battery terminal. There will be one run of + and ground per alternator. They will also all be looped together. There is a fold in the bracket that I couldn't make with 1/4" mdf, but in metal it will add strength and allow me to run any wiring I need under the alts and bracket instead of over.

Bracket is finished! There will be slight changes to the spacers on the alts so they are more even, but I'm going to the machine shop tomorrow.

Pulleys located:

alts_1-1.jpg

The line represents a 90 degree bend in the metal:

alts_2-1.jpg

alts_3.jpg

alts_4.jpg

alts_5.jpg

Belt wrap?

alts_6.jpg

alts_7.jpg

I played Jeezy- White girl for a minute today for some guys at a local shop. No one really commented, except for one guy who said he had seen wardens in a club before. I said it may have been large speakers but doubtfully wardens, and he assured me they were wardens in folded horns :suicide-santa:

After he stuck his head in my door and had the air blow his hair and shirt around he told me my system sounded like what 2 good 15s on 1000 watts sounded like 15 years ago lol. I needed RCAs, but there's a good reason why I never go to shops anymore if I can help it.

hahaha what a tool. what was his system? nothing, right? that's why he's talking.

hahaha what a tool. what was his system? nothing, right? that's why he's talking.

Pretty much. One of the guys at the shop was pretty cool and actually has used some good equipment. Everyone else made it pretty obvious they don't really know what they're talking about. I'm not the kind of person to go to shops and act like a smart ass, but I hate the kind of installers that treat every customer like a retard. I bought my h/u from this shop, and the installer told me converting my vehicle to double din was impossible. He told me American Bass amps were crap (I tried to tell him it was AB not American Pro) and that was pretty much all he had to say. There's nothing wrong with not having a large system or great equipment, but when you're around car audio all day and still have no clue. :shrug:

Man I can't wait to turn things up!

Oh I forgot to post- I got a new table saw to replace the one that was stolen! Hopefully I'll be doing box work in a week or so :woot:

table1.jpg

Gotta love the ignorance of some shops! Nice saw btw! trink40.gif

That sounds just like my local shop.

Sexy subs

You should have told them the wardens would shat on there store lol.

Lol, that's all you. I think you already told them that- and from what I saw your AAs absolutely would.

For the new build I'm thinking two separate boxes again, either 7.5 or 8 ft net with 115 sq of port per box. That would let me quickly go from 1 to 2 subs, with boxes I could handle alone. Still crunching numbers on them.

I would like to hear how your setup sounds someday. I know I planned a trip a couple of years ago and I was quite unsure of the setup I was going to get, but I do have my subs. I have 2 21" DP's now. I would like to hear the difference between them someday.