What DoubleDin Video Headunit Should I get

Double-Din Video HUs  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which headunit should I get?

• Pioneer AVH-P4100
    • Pioneer AVH-P3100
    • Alpine IXA-W407
    • Other (please specify)

I am looking to buy a double din video headunit so that I can have a backup camera. The alpine is my favorite so far but the cheapest I can find it for is $600 which is pushing my budget but I can sell my alpine 9886 and garmin for around $300-350 all together.

Just pick which one you would get and why or which one you would stay away from if you have heard something... reason for getting it is i need a HU that supports rear view cameras because my tint I will be getting will make backing up at night hell. Must have functions are rearview camera and ipod full control (hence why i favor the alpine) all other things are extras but not mandatory.

Thanks,

Patrone

I am looking to buy a double din video headunit so that I can have a backup camera. The alpine is my favorite so far but the cheapest I can find it for is $600 which is pushing my budget but I can sell my alpine 9886 and garmin for around $300-350 all together.

Just pick which one you would get and why or which one you would stay away from if you have heard something... reason for getting it is i need a HU that supports rear view cameras because my tint I will be getting will make backing up at night hell. Must have functions are rearview camera and ipod full control (hence why i favor the alpine) all other things are extras but not mandatory.

Thanks,

Patrone

Id go with the 4100 just because of the larger screen. If that isn't a problem for you then you could save some bucks and go with one of the other two. Although with backup camera in mind it would probably be nice to have the larger screen.

you said on your other post that you love the current alpine you have, and the way it sounds

so why not stay with alpine ,and pick the double din alpine

if you sell your other deck you can have some money for your new double din

Id go with the 4100 just because of the larger screen. If that isn't a problem for you then you could save some bucks and go with one of the other two. Although with backup camera in mind it would probably be nice to have the larger screen.

i may be wrong but i believe both the alpine ixa-w407 and pioneer avh 4100 have 7" screens

just bought the pioneer avh-p4100dvd and its a pretty nice unit for under 500 for closer to 600 you can get it with ipod cable and remote. Sounds way better than the kenwood i replaced.

just bought the pioneer avh-p4100dvd and its a pretty nice unit for under 500 for closer to 600 you can get it with ipod cable and remote. Sounds way better than the kenwood i replaced.

Oh and forgot to add The eq is pretty decent and has good high and low pass filtering.

you said on your other post that you love the current alpine you have, and the way it sounds

so why not stay with alpine ,and pick the double din alpine

if you sell your other deck you can have some money for your new double din

thats a good point. i love alpine's interface and compatibility with apple products which is why currently i am leaning toward the alpine but im trying to justify the extra $100 or so.... I am selling my sub for 250-275 plus im hoping i could get around 199 for the headunit so thats like 450ish for both which leaves me to come up with 150 for the HU and another 125 for a backup camera i really like so i need 275... but i can do that....

is there anyone that has had experience with the alpine ixa-w407 and could shed some light

there are only two small things i am worried about.... there is no optical drive for CDs or DVDs and i have heard with lots of music it is a) hard to scroll through and b) slows the unit down but idk. these arent to big of problems though

I think I am going to go to an audio store nearby and test one out and then decide. Also anyone interested in a custom sub box for a 15" or a 15" Fi Q w/ BP or some speakers out of a 2009 wrangler (infinity) PM me.

is there anything you dont like about it?

Haven't found anything dis-likable about it yet runs through my ipod pretty quick which i liked some units can be slow doing that but has good control over it.

Haven't found anything dis-likable about it yet runs through my ipod pretty quick which i liked some units can be slow doing that but has good control over it.

The unit comes nicely equipped for lots of add ons and the 4v pre outs are nice.

i may be wrong but i believe both the alpine ixa-w407 and pioneer avh 4100 have 7" screens

Yup, you're right. I was looking at the wrong Alpine.

Yup, you're right. I was looking at the wrong Alpine.

check out youtube for some reviews and installs on em thats how i came to decide on the pioneer. And of course comparing features and spec sheets.

Edited by Optimus_Prime

Not sure if the Alpine has the customizable display background image customizable and button and display colors like the pioneer.

I voted other---Pioneer has just released the AVH-P4200DVD which is the newer version of the 4100. The MSRP for it is $550 but Crutchfield has it for $499.99 shipped. I am a little biased though as it is the headunit that I'm planning on grabbing soon :drink40:

Edited by chicagofan

I voted other---Pioneer has just released the AVH-P4200DVD which is the newer version of the 4100. The MSRP for it is $550 but Crutchfield has it for $499.99 shipped. I am a little biased though as it is the headunit that I'm planning on grabbing soon :drink40:

when do you think you'll be grabbing this... right now im leaning toward the alpine just because ive watched videos on it and reviews but there isnt much out for the 4200 since its new. Only a few videos from CES 2010. id like to find a video on the 4200 from a owner not a rep and see what they say and all the options etc.

Well, I was going to order it friday but uncle sam didn't get my money in my checking account yet :shrug: It actually works out a little better though because I may have a hook up for a better price. I'm hoping my guy can get it sometime in the next couple weeks while I'm waiting for my SA8's to ship.

I'm thinking about getting the P4200, its got great reviews on Amazon, supposed to be alot better than the P4100 in certain aspects. I've currently got an Alpine CDA-105, and like the iPod controls, but going by the reviews on Amazon, the P4200 has better iPod controls, built in bluetooth, and all kinds of other cool shit. I haven't been able to find any negatives on it as of yet. I'll also probably be getting a rear view camera to go with it. I think I'll mount my camera on the top of my truck cause I do some 4-wheeling occasionally and if I mounted it on the bumper it would probably end up getting ripped off.

If anyone has one I'd like to hear your opinions of it.

I'm a big fan of Kenwood.

The new DDX318 is $399 through Crutchfield IIRC.

But I like having a volume knob to quickly change the level. Instead of buttons which can take almost 10 seconds to go 0-wide open. That's just a MAJOR turn off.

If you want bluetooth, the DDX418 has that.

Or if you want the full 7in screen, check out the others.

I've always had good luck with Kenwood and would pick it over pioneer.

I'd love a Alpine with a Volume Knob, with the capability to integrate their new processor. I would be in heaven.

I bought the 407, but haven't installed it yet. I went with it because it can work with the pxa-h100 and run a two way active front stage and sub stage. Not to mention alpine has the best iPod interface on the market. I bought mine six months ago used on eBay with the h100, and PAC tr7 for $500 shipped. So look around, you might find a good deal on one.

I just found a listing on eBay. For a new in box 407 for $350 shipped in the lower 48 states. That's pretty cheap.

Edited by hondakilla98