quiet

Quiet's 06 Chevy Build log

Im still new to the forum, but I decided I would post a build log of my truck.

The Truck: 2006 Schevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, 5.3 2wd. As it sits the truck is stock, when things start coming in I will start the install. Hopefully I will start with the deadening and running all the wires.

Almost current pic, before clearing the headlights and tinting the windows

DSC00311-1.jpg

They components being used:

Head Unit: Kenwood DDX 812

Mid Amp: Sundown SAX50.4

Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ1500D

Subs: Sundown SA-8 (2)

Mids: Hertz HSK165

Deadner: Raamat and Ensolite

Progress: 2/19 Started on fiberglassing the floor of the box, its going to be hard to squeeze out the airspace I need. My goal is to have 2.0ft^3 so I think Im going to jack the seat up 1-2" and that will help. I plan have box sides front and top made of mdf with just the floor being fiberglass. I also plan on facing the 8's foward and the ports forward unless that is a bad idea, any opinions would be nice.

Taped up

DSC00395.jpg

First layer of mat

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Right now the truck is running with the heater on high to cure the glass and that seems to be working really well. Also this is my first time doing a project like this with fiberglass so any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Edited by quiet

2 8s on that amp should be crazy. watch the gains and your volume knob. looks fun, much experience in fiberglass?

good idea with the heater being on .

if it works, it works!!

so far so good , looking forward to more updates.

This is my first time attempting any real fiberglass work, but im not scared to try it.

Running the truck with the heater is working awesome, my first layer is setup nice. I will probably put another couple of layers on tonight and call it quits.

This is a great looking truck. :drink40:

This is a good job for starting your first fiber glassing project. Some tips I picked up...

If you are using large sheets of mat, try instead tearing them into workable squares. It helps with giving the fiberglass structure more strength.

If you havent gotten a bubble buster, I highly suggest it.

Try using a space heater on each side of the truck. Wont take long at all.

Dont forget to sand in between layers unless you have that new polyester resin. I get mine from Tap Plastics. It stays tacky until you add the hardener on the last layer. Cool stuff.

Good luck!:popcorn:

Welcome to SSA.

I'm glad to see people that aren't afraid to get thier hands dirty. I will be tuned in.

Fiberglass hardens through chemical reaction and has nothing to heat because Resin produces its own heat. I did some a couple weeks ago outside at 20 degress with no sun and used the max recommended hardener. The fiberglass still hardened in about an hour.

Thanks guys, I will definetly check out that tap plastics resin. I stumbled upon there site a few days ago and it seems like a good place to buy from. Im guessing you are talking about the roller that tap plastic sells here Bubble Buster Rollers: TAP Plastics

As far as resin not needing heat, I was always under the impression that the hardener must hit a certain temp before it starts working like it should. I could be wrong though. I'll continue using the my method as it is working well for me.

Thanks guys, I will definetly check out that tap plastics resin. I stumbled upon there site a few days ago and it seems like a good place to buy from. Im guessing you are talking about the roller that tap plastic sells here Bubble Buster Rollers: TAP Plastics

As far as resin not needing heat, I was always under the impression that the hardener must hit a certain temp before it starts working like it should. I could be wrong though. I'll continue using the my method as it is working well for me.

Like I said this is my own personal experince not something I heard. I was only thinking about your heater/AC vents stinking forever. Good luck!

when it was quite cold when i was fiberglassing my sail panels it took about 14 hours to cure :trippy: and it wasn't even that thick. It was about ~20-30f when i glassed and it was horrible.

Edited by Julian

Looking good! Keep up with the pics! Nice truck!

when it was quite cold when i was fiberglassing my sail panels it took about 14 hours to cure trippy.gif and it wasn't even that thick. It was about ~40-50f when i glassed and it was horrible.

I don't understand how this is posible, Mine was hard to the touch in about an hour at 20 degrees with no sun and alot of cold wind. I used the max recommened hardener and thats it.

Next time you do fiberglass feel how hot the resin gets......

Actually the resin and hardener combine to form a chemical reaction like jroadtatts said but...it also takes a combination of the right weather as well. The hardener and resin are formulated to use in weather around 70-80 degrees. Its optimum but you can do otherwise like you all have seen.

I have heard that the structure can become weaker if too much hardener is used. Ie to speed up the curing process in cold weather.

Actually the resin and hardener combine to form a chemical reaction like jroadtatts said but...it also takes a combination of the right weather as well. The hardener and resin are formulated to use in weather around 70-80 degrees. Its optimum but you can do otherwise like you all have seen.

I have heard that the structure can become weaker if too much hardener is used. Ie to speed up the curing process in cold weather.

Exactly.

i do body work for a living , working in collision repair center

so i experience this every day

like (bigrank916) said is depends on the weather the colder it is the more hardener you have to use , TO A POINT !

you dont want to add to mush cuz it will make it brittle

you can also heat up the surface of the area in wish you are going to work on before you but your materials on this will help with the cure time

also it is a chemical reaction and that is how it woks but putting heat to it it sill aid in the cure-ing proses .

oh and (julian) you probable dint have enough hardener , thats why it may off taken so long .

also if material is old it will take way longer to cure

Edited by ivan95m

Like I stated twice now I only used the MAX recommended hardener, I bought quality resin at the autobody store, I think atmoshpere has very little to to do with the resin hardening.

Sorry to cluter your build log brother, I just like to share what I haver learned. Please take a look at my build and please don't be bashful with the comments, I just post a shit load of pictures cause I know most people don't read anyway.peepwall.gif

Keep up the GOOD work and I'll be watchin'.

No real progress on the box but UPS dropped off my hertz hsk165s and dash kit today. I decided that I would do a basic install since both my factory front door speakers are blown. I will definetly redo all of this once I deaden/seal the doors and install the Sundown SAX50.4. I must say I am very impressed with the sound of the hertz, I can't wait to hear them in a proper install. anyway here are some pics of the temp install. I also installed a eclipse cd 5000 that I had laying around so I could listen to mp3s until the Kenwood arrives.

btw im a pic freak as you guys will soon learn.

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00414.jpg

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

the man in brown has been busy lately. I got just a little done seat lift and face of box cut and fit, but Ive been sick and it slowed me down a bit.

DSC00422.jpg

Edited by quiet

Got wire?

haha yea. but that for my truck and another friends truck who will basically be doing the same install in an 08 crew cab gmc, He's on here to I think rgncjn is his screen name.

all Im waiting on now is my 1500 to come in and the 8s do arrive in the US.

Got wire?

haha yea. but that for my truck and another friends truck who will basically be doing the same install in an 08 crew cab gmc, He's on here to I think rgncjn is his screen name.

all Im waiting on now is my 1500 to come in and the 8s do arrive in the US.

I put 2 kits plus another 15' power and 10' ground in my one car!!!smile.gif Never can have to much power!!!smile.gif

I put 2 kits plus another 15' power and 10' ground in my one car!!!smile.gif Never can have to much power!!!smile.gif

yea you are right. I'll run a single 1/0 to start, I doubt it will be an issue since I plan to run the 1500 at 2 ohm. If I see I need more power then Ill run some 4 ga that I have laying around to run the 50.4

oh and the big 3 is going to be done in 2/0 so that should cover the grounds pretty well.

Edited by quiet

Weather has was shitty today so I was unable to get anything done on the box. But I did install my Head Unit today. I like it so far, I figured I would since I owned it in a prior vehicle.

Couple pics

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

How much did you pay for that HU? I like the reoccurring blue color ;)