Gioia69

Nocturnal =/

does anyone else here have or had issues with simply being able to fall asleep at a reasonable time? A typical night i stay up til 4 to 6am, simply because i just dont get tired. Most people normally say "well just lay there with your eyes shut", but ive always just never been able to fall asleep unless im actually tired. The only way i can ever fall asleep before 2am is if i run off 5 hours of sleep all day, which sucks ass to do. I feel like i can never get the right amount of sleep to be tired at the end of the day; its always either lack of sleep, barely getting through the whole day so I can fall asleep at the right time to wake up for school, or oversleeping and staying awake from anywhere from 4am to 8am. I work out every day, have tried over the counter sleep aids, tried background noise and music, and nothing seems to help. Idk what to do... I just got done laying in bed with my eyes shut for about 2 and a half hours, and I still feel wide awake. Its shitty. Does anyone have any decent advice for me? Anything is greatly appreciated...

I have the same problem sir. Thats why I work Midnite to 09:00 am. When I worked dayshift, I never slept good. I blacked out my room, wife is at work, kids at school, and I can sleep alot better during the day. Guess you could say that I'm a nightowl ...

Wish I could help, happens to me all the time as well :(

same here. it just is boring when you find new idea to do to you system and eveything is closed and it dark out

I'm up all night fucking the bitches :P

Lol I'm up all night on here of course!

Same here bro.

I just cant turn things off at the end of the day.

You can take the advice given to me and see your Dr. No I did not do it either, but thought I would pass it along.

i drink sweet dreams tea every single night before i go to bed, it's a nice blend of herbal tea that relaxes me

I can explain it easily. You have nothing that forces you to get up early. If you ever do you will find a way to get in tune with a more "natural" circadian rhythm.

My guess is you also drink/consume stimulants and or soda.

There isn't anything wrong with having a night rhythm so long as you learn to cope. My mom worked nights for years. Not my cup of tea but it's ok.

i use to have this problem as well. it was really screwing up my high-school schedule.

my solution was meditation. i have a Buddhist friend and his mother introduced me to the idea of it when she heard of my sleep troubles. you don't need any of that fancy incense and candles crap. you can look up exercises. two years later i still do the most basic one, i simply focus on breathing (or focus on that space in-between taking breaths in, and letting them out.) just completely focus on your breathing and nothing else. if a thought comes, address that it exists, and let it pass. it may take you a couple tries. my first time i completely forget what i was doing and where i was and i fell asleep!! the bottom line is that you have to take it seriously. if i can't fall asleep, i do the above exercise until i fall asleep. takes anywhere from 5-20 minutes from me. Either way, if you do it right, it will relax the HELL out of you. hope that helps! :woot:

p.s. the key is to NOT let your mind wonders. focus on the breathing and the breathing alone. that is the key

Edited by Frostedflakejake

man Frostedflakejake thats like some master yoda stuff !! ;) jk

no but really

i also sometimes have some trouble sleeping , one of my buddies really has this problem

i did some research on this a while back and it talk about different things that may trigger the reason why people have trouble sleeping

some of this things include the food you eat , it can effect the way you fall asleep

also one really good one is lighting , like having a tv or bathroom, or lamp light on , they say it effects our internal clock and makes our body feel that its day time instead of night

and wish in turn wont make you tired . so it tells you to make it as dark as possible , with little to no light at all . it may take a while for the body to get used to it , so would have to do it consistently.

also drinking a glass of water right before bed.

I found out in my psychology class that Melatonin can actually keep you up at night if you're ADD, if taken long before.

Or something like that, I was slightly sleepy that morning. :trippy:

I usually fall asleep around 2-3 am and get up at 6:30am and go to work for 9 hours :D I hate sleep. I might need to invest in Ambien haha

I'm the same way my wife works 3rd shift so I get everything done while she's gone hehe. Less b****ing that way!

I can explain it easily. You have nothing that forces you to get up early. If you ever do you will find a way to get in tune with a more "natural" circadian rhythm.

My guess is you also drink/consume stimulants and or soda.

There isn't anything wrong with having a night rhythm so long as you learn to cope. My mom worked nights for years. Not my cup of tea but it's ok.

Absolutely.

During college, I would have class later in the day (11am or noon usually) then work from 4-10 on weeknights, and 9 or 10am on the weekends. Needless to say, staying up late was necessary. Therefore, I did like most people and drank lots of soda and energy drinks.

What helped me since then (and by the way, I've never felt worse than my last 2 years of college...staying up till 4am and sometimes all night, drinking 4 Mountain Dews plus whatever else...taking Excedrin Migraine with more caffeine in them with a Mountain Dew since caffeine was supposed to help BUT it was causing the headaches!) :

-Drink water...lots. My only caffeine is a 20oz homebrewed coffee every morning.

-Give up soda. I only drink it when out to eat, or having Jack and Coke. I don't drink a lot anymore, so you get the picture ;)

-DON'T TOUCH ENERGY DRINKS.

-Go to bed the same time every night...wake up the same time every day. My roommate started staying up all night for the reasons you state, OP...what do you know...he started going to bed at like 4pm. He got all messed up...

Caffeine effects you for up to 12 hours and may not "hit" you till 4 hours after consumption...think about that.

I can't recommend WATER enough. It helped me so much...

The human body can be taught to go to sleep anytime, you can change your sleep cycle very easily actually, it just takes some practice and discipline. I worked nights before I got my new job, so obviously my sleep cycle was messed up, on my days off I could go to bed at 5 am maximum, because that is what my body was used to. After I left there, and got a day job I had to change my sleep cycle, in the two weeks that it took to start my first day at my day job I changed my sleep cycle, I would go to bed a few hours earlier than the night before every night. I'd black out my room, even turn off the light on my iHome, put my dog in her kennel instead of sleeping with me, make sure my room was at a good temperature, and relax. At first I'd lay on my back and do breathing exercises, in through the nose, hold if 1-2 seconds, out through the mouth slowly. Like Ryan said, drink a lot of water, not necessarily before bed though cause then you'll have to piss. And let your mind relax, concentrate on breathing and breathing only, if you let your mind wander I guarantee you won't fall asleep. Discipline yourself, your the boss of yourself, so act like it. :)

HA Duran's got the right idea =] i told him just about the same thing

meditating rocks! :woot:

I usually crash around 2am.... but if insomnia is a major problem for you, you could get on some prescription like Lunesta but it also comes with some pretty scary side effects (like sleepwalking, driving while asleep, etc!)

Edited by CadillacMatt

I still haven't gone to sleep. I've tried a few times already tonight. lol. It's starting to get light out now so I probably wont fall asleep until my body shuts down. For some reason, it's especially hard for me to sleep unless its totally dark. Which sucks because I can never sleep at night. :suicide-santa:

I still haven't gone to sleep. I've tried a few times already tonight. lol. It's starting to get light out now so I probably wont fall asleep until my body shuts down. For some reason, it's especially hard for me to sleep unless its totally dark. Which sucks because I can never sleep at night. :suicide-santa:

I hear that, I have my window's blacked out, sleep all day :werd_msword: