Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

my 2nd battery

Ok, im pretty sure I have this right but I would like some confirmation to be sure. This is basically what my electrical will be.. the few things that can vary will be battery location, in the picture im going to add at the bottom I put the 2nd battery at the bottom(back).. easy to understand. the vehicle will be a Tahoe which has a 2nd battery tray.. should i use that 2nd tray or just keep it in the back close to the amps? That is one thing i wasnt 100% on, also Ill have a Kinetik HC2000 and a Kinetik HC1800 ... do i want the bigger of the 2 in the back? Also will someone look at my fusing in my picture to make sure that is correct also before i go buy all these damn fuses lol. Sorry about the pic, just needed something visual. Is there anything i should add or remove in this setup? I have everything in that picture except the 2nd battery and the fuses, so its getting closer to time to install. Thanks for any help.

5khmv5.jpg

after looking at the pic if i put the 2nd battery in the front im gonna either have a bunch of runs comming from the front or Ill need a distribution block... Think i like the back location better :trippy: Point me in the right direction please :)

Are you using the HC1800 as your starting battery?

only a 150 amp fuse? with a 150 amp fusing you are limiting your system to 1800-2000watts? also when fusing batteries i am pretty sure you should fuse to the wires capabilty!!

so if your wire can supoort 300amps then fuse it at 300amps!

as for battery placement i would put them in the back! keep the runs as short as you can from battery to amp! also why no second run (negative run) of wire from front battery to rear battery? i am pretty sure kinetik recommends a run of + and - from front to back!

as to fusing the amps if they have a 150amps of fusing on them use a 150 amp fuse also (to be safe) although some ppl will say fusing a fuse is usless lol if you get my drift.

In the pic it appears the 1800 is starting battery yes.. but nothing is installed, that is something i would like to learn from this thread, also the lack of a negative run is basically because i didnt think it was necessary. I know it wouldnt hurt but I heard it wasnt a must have. If it is i dont mind buyin the cable.. by the time this is done ill have damn near $300+ in fuses and wires.. damn this is a expensive habbit.. As far as fuses, the 1/0 is Knu KLMX, i believe it has the ability to run up to 250 Amps, ill have to double check. Do the rest of you agree with the fuse situation? fuse the 2 battery's together with (2) 250amp fuses instead of 150Amp? Also 150Amp fuses for the 2 amps should be alright.. correct?

i read that kinetik post after i bought the HC2000.. kinda screwed i guess, ill just make the best of it for now. This is my first big install, i dont plan on going overboard as far as voltage. should stay in the 14.x range hopefully.

Ok, im pretty sure I have this right but I would like some confirmation to be sure. This is basically what my electrical will be.. the few things that can vary will be battery location, in the picture im going to add at the bottom I put the 2nd battery at the bottom(back).. easy to understand. the vehicle will be a Tahoe which has a 2nd battery tray.. should i use that 2nd tray or just keep it in the back close to the amps? That is one thing i wasnt 100% on, also Ill have a Kinetik HC2000 and a Kinetik HC1800 ... do i want the bigger of the 2 in the back? Also will someone look at my fusing in my picture to make sure that is correct also before i go buy all these damn fuses lol. Sorry about the pic, just needed something visual. Is there anything i should add or remove in this setup? I have everything in that picture except the 2nd battery and the fuses, so its getting closer to time to install. Thanks for any help.

5khmv5.jpg

It doesnt really matter which battery goes first but if you could fit the HC2000 in the stock location then go for it. I would switch out the two 150A fuses between the two batteries with 250A fuses since your supposed to fuse to the wire. Then I would just run one 1/0AWG wire with 250A fuse leaving positive battery terminal going to distribution block with 4 gauge wire leaving distribution block and no fuse to MB Quart DSC4125 and 1/0AWG wire leaving distribution block with 150A fuse 8"before SAZ-1500D like Sundown recommends. Just my .02 (how my amps are wired after battery)

Awesome, honestly I like the battery in the back idea, I planned on using ring connectors for the back battery so i could use a 4gauge wire for the MB Quart amp and use a 1/0 for the sundown amp. Doing it that was I could use both sizes of wire's for the amp's without using a distribution block. Make the battery terminal my distribution block i suppose. Is that wrong? How about that negative wire mentioned? Do i need to run negative on battery 1 to negative on battery 2? Thought i read somewhere it wasnt a must, you just had to make sure there both grounded very good (frame of vehicle). IF i was to put the 2nd battery up front would running another 1/0 from alternator to battery 2 be useful? Or pointless? Appreciate the help so far guys. Really helpin me here.

I have heard about running a wire from the alternator to 2nd battery from a local shop when I was thinking about running a second battery but I dont think you have to. Most people just run more 1/0 awg wires from the stock battery to the 2nd battery for positive runs but with the amount of power you have it is not necessary. You dont have to ground your batteries together if they are not close to each other, you can ground the second one to the frame also. If your second battery is in the back then I would just ground my amps to the second battery but that doesnt really matter neither. You can use the battery as a distribution block that doesnt matter, its personal preference (it will just require less fuses and less wiring and connectors on battery).

awesome, thank you guys, i think i have this sorted out. My 'diagram' is correct minus the fuses between battery's which i need to replace with 250's.. also no fuse to MB Quart amp. and fuse 8" away from the sundown..thank you very much :)

Edited by smashedz28

awesome, thank you guys, i think i have this sorted out. My 'diagram' is correct minus the fuses between battery's which i need to replace with 250's.. also no fuse to MB Quart amp. and fuse 8" away from the sundown..thank you very much :)

Looks like it would work out pretty good. I put my 1400 under the hood in Feb 2005 and it still works out fine.