CoCook83

Help choosing sub(s) and amp??

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and was hoping u experts can help me decide on a sub(s)/amp combo that would best suit my taste. I want either 2-10s or 1-12, I listen to mostly R&B and some Rap. I will probably get custom ported box build to spec or suggestions for my listen preference. I was looking at the Fi Audio Q, SSA Icon, SS Rl-p for 12s and the Fi Audio SSDs, SSA Dcons, SS Rl-i, Boston Acoustics G3s for 10s... I have about $1200 to spend and want to keep amp rms to a 1000watts or less cause I don't wanna upgrade my electrical and it should enough for daily listening..

All help is appreciated and any other suggestion are welcomed...

Click !

Little bit more than 1000w, but you will want a bigger battery with 1000w anyway.

I guess you didnt read anything he said, he would like to keep it under 1000 watts. Does that $1200 budget apply to subs, amp, box, wiring or just subs and amps?

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/SSA-Dcon-10D4-%282%29-%252b-Sundown-Audio-SAX%252d125.2-Combo.html

Click !

Little bit more than 1000w, but you will want a bigger battery with 1000w anyway.

I guess you didnt read anything he said, he would like to keep it under 1000 watts. Does that $1200 budget apply to subs, amp, box, wiring, electrical upgrades or just subs and amps?

AND?

With $1200 he could buy a battery which he would probably need with 1,000w. Whats your point?

Doesnt say he will run 1000watts, he said that is the highest he wants to go PERIOD!!! So offering a 1500 watt amp is ridiculous and then telling him to spend the money on electrical upgrades which he says he doenst want to do. So do something smart and offer him something that will require no electrical upgrades besides the Big 3 (maybe) :Doh:.

There is a reason why we ask people to give us the most information available so we can help them make a decision on what fits there goals and applications. We dont ask for the information to completely ignore it and tell them that is not what they need.

:owned:

Do you want a SPL or SQ set up? 2 Alpine Type R's and a PDX1000 is a nice set up. You can get the subs brand new in the box for 250.00 on eBay all day and you can also get the PDX1000 really cheap on eBay too. Then you can have some money left over for the little stuff that adds up. You can get a Knukonceptz amp kit 4ga is what the pdx is i believe. Then you can get nice XS Power batt and maybe some deadner? and money for wood + supplies to build your own box.

Sub Amp: $450.00

Subs: $250.00

Amp Kit: $42.99

Batt: $140.00

Deadner: $160.00

Then use the left over for the wood.

There is a combo on the SSA Store with a pair of SSA Dcon 10's and a Sundown SAX-125.2 amp. ;)

There is a combo on the SSA Store with a pair of SSA Dcon 10's and a Sundown SAX-125.2 amp. ;)

Already beat you to it :fing34:.

I want a ""SQL"" set up. $1200 is for sub(s), amp, and custom box by Argent Audio for whatever sub(s) I choose. Doesn't have to get crazy loud, just mostly concern about it sounding great with good output as well.

The Dcon package is a pretty good deal and based on what you have told us it will probably be a good fit. You can use the money you save to buy some deadener which definitely helps any install. It would be nice to get a little more information especially after you said you want ""SQL"" because that is what a lot of people say they want but then you find out they are more for SPL and not SQ. Is this your first system? If not what else have you had? If it is have you heard a system you liked?

All the systems I've had consisted of Pioneer subs and some US Acoustics and Hifonics amps a while ago. Haven't had a system in a couple of years. All the systems I've heard have been loud but didn't sound good to me. I would like my new system to sound really good at low and high volumes, that's why I said """SQL"""

Except that term doesn't exist.

Sound quality loud? Honestly?

All the systems I've had consisted of Pioneer subs and some US Acoustics and Hifonics amps a while ago. Haven't had a system in a couple of years. All the systems I've heard have been loud but didn't sound good to me. I would like my new system to sound really good at low and high volumes, that's why I said """"SQL""""

Since you have a had a few past setups it would be nice to get some information about them. Could you say what sub and amp combos you have had? Were they sealed or ported? What did you like about them and what do you think needed to be improved? This will make it easier to point you in one dirrection or the other. With the information you have given us we really can't point you to a certain setup as almost any sub from any of the brands on here could fit what you have told us.

I had 4-12s Pioneer IMPPs (the 4 ohm, 150watt rms ones) in a US Acoustics USX-2150 bridged at 4ohms. It was in a big sealed box I made. Sounded ok, but didn't get low and sounded kinda muddy at high volumes. Then I upgraded to 4-12s Pioneer TSW305C (400watts rms) with a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D wired to 1ohm in another sealed box I made. Now these sounded much better than the others but still didn't get low though. Then I moved on to a single Pioneer TSW3002SPL in a sealed box on a eD Nine.1 at 1ohm. Like the others, sounded good but didn't get the lows and had some electrical issues with power the amp so it keep going out(this is before I knew about Big 3 and extra batteries). I like how they all sounded but would like them to get lower, have good output, and sound good doing it. I hope this helps.

Yeah, I believe I'm going to roll with 2-10 or 12s DCONs and Sundown SAE-1200Dv2 amp @ 2ohms (gives me some headroom should I decide to upgrade later to a higher series)

Edited by CoCook83

You can get an Icon 12" DVC1 and the 1200 watts amp.

You will be able to add a 2nd DVC1 Icon later.

But just one Icon and a 1000 watts amp should please you !!!

Good luck !

Will the sundown 1200 be enough to power 2 icons though. Or should I get the SA Series 12s instead...

Since there is no such thing as underpowering a subwoofer then I dont see why it would not be enough power for 2 Icons, plus the amp is heavily underrated. If it comes down to it then flip a coin between the two sub choices but both will work well and sound lovely off that amp.

Okay. It got ya!! Thanks to everyone for all the advice. You all really helped me out with my choice.. I really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

If your wanting low bass try a single Fi SSD 15" on a saz1000. You can go sealed or ported and it will still sound good and get loud. just my opinion.

Doesnt say he will run 1000watts, he said that is the highest he wants to go PERIOD!!! So offering a 1500 watt amp is ridiculous and then telling him to spend the money on electrical upgrades which he says he doenst want to do. So do something smart and offer him something that will require no electrical upgrades besides the Big 3 (maybe) :Doh:.

There is a reason why we ask people to give us the most information available so we can help them make a decision on what fits there goals and applications. We dont ask for the information to completely ignore it and tell them that is not what they need.

Hold on a minute now......

Yeah, I believe I'm going to roll with 2-10 or 12s DCONs and Sundown SAE-1200Dv2 amp @ 2ohms (gives me some headroom should I decide to upgrade later to a higher series)

Does this mean I win or that I have ESP? Opposite of owned = me.

Good chioce OP. Sundown 1200 and 2 DCONS will be excellent!

:santa:

Naw it doesnt mean anything at all, it means that he will have substantial amount of headroom for his Dcons and if they dont perform how he wants them too then he will upgrade. Still wont need an extra battery for that at 2 ohms, just the Big 3 and a voltmeter depending on stock alternator size. Thats all, were talking about right now and not the future buddy but good one. :peepwall: