Doctor Q

Window Tint Picture Thread

Acutally they just raised the tint law in Texas, now it is 35% (passed in the fall) but I could care less. Im doing a 5% strip on front windshield, my rear door windows and rear windshield will be 5% while the front door windows will be 25%.

I do miss my 5% tint all the way around but it did make me hit a lot of curbs and came close to talking a few peoples legs out so I dont recommend 5% on a front window but to each its own (roll your window down if around police that avoids a lot of problems).

Still says 25% on DPS' website though:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Frequently Asked Questions

now I'm all confused :blink::wacko:

Reminds me, though, that we need to get the Suburban light metered. It's the only one in the fleet with tint, although I haven't a clue what it is :lol:

what do you guys think would be a reasonable price for a full windshield job. ive heard anywhere from $40-150.

well unfortunately the plan did not work.... i had planned to get 5% added to my current 15% at Custom Daves in Mooresville but he wouldn't do it not knowing the film or condition of the film put on since he did not do my 15%. So then i went locally to England Bros and they would not do it either because they thought it would peel. So i went to plan B. Plan B was get the shield done at England Bros (since Dave's wouldnt do shields either) and then go to Daves and get 15 stripped and 5 put on.... well at first the plan was working. Friday I dropped the car off in the morning and picked it up at 11am. Windshield done! They gave me options of 5, 15, or 35 in their regular Aegis tint or 45 in their nano. The nano tint is more for heat reduction and costs way more. Supposedly it cuts 90% of heat, i dont know if that is legit but the regular film costs $60 for a shield and this was $150 but I decided to go for it becuase i was afraid 35 might be too dark. So then yesterday (saturday) i had my appointment with Dave's to get the 15 stripped and 5 added. Then friday night my mom found out about the plan because she saw my car at England Bros and called me out. Well my friends were with me and we almost had her to a breaking point and then i just decided to not go through the hassle of if we could even convince her and i decided that if i got 5 it would shoot my chances of getting pulled up and since i havnt yet i didnt want to do that... also just this week a kid got 5 all around put on at school and got a ticket and had to strip so after all the rambling the point of this story is that i kept my old 15 all around and added 45% to the shield. If i had known i was going to stay at 15 i probably would have gone with the 35% but i thought i was going to have 5 so i went lighter. It blocks out alot of sun and adds quite a bit of privacy. Also makes the front windows seem darker than before because it is blocking out some sun. Ofcourse the same day it was put on there was a WICKED rain storm. For example, i was in Subway with my friend eating and it started raining and by the time we were done it was pouring and my car was probably about 25 yards from the door and by the time we ran out to my car it looked like we had been drenched with a bucket of water. But it was a good test to see how dangerous the tint was and it was no harder seeing than without it. I saw with rain there is no difference and at night there isnt much differece at all. From the inside you can't tell it is tinted unless you know and are looking for the difference. Also the line of the tint is virtually impossible to see. Looks perfect. (Props to England Bros once again) Maybe their new tint guy and tint shop was a good investment. Anways, if i were to it again id either go the same route or maybe 35. Even though i went the expensive route with the nano tint im glad i did and i love the tint. Received nothing but compliments from friends and people.

0528001207.jpg

as far as the film goes. it does seem to block out ALOT of heat. Compared to the side and back tint the shield has a more blueish hue to it whereas the other tint has a greenish hue to it. Shield is Nano 45% (idk anyhting else bout the nano) and the other is Llumar 15%. Also the windshield tint has a more hazy look to it. I dont know if that is because the angle of the glass/tint or the film. But once again, i love it and think the 150 was wel worth it.

I got 30% Suntek put on sides, back and a brow on the windshield for $150. Here are some pics. before and a couple after in the shade.

Before tint

eldopassside.jpg

Tint in the shade

photo3.jpg

Sun coming from passenger side

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

sun coming from rear

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Edited by hondakilla98

20% all the way around .. and I'm in VA. We aren't supposed to have like any on the front windows, but can put 5% on the back. I payed $210 to get the whole truck done. That's a lot of glass too.

P6080072.jpg

Finally!!! !I have tint again! :)

Old Truck.

TINT.jpg

New Van.

59703_161840453826907_100000028592635_548633_4779454_n.jpg

Thoughts?

Looks good. I hope to get the Mazda done here soon.

DoctorQ, I used to have the same car, white 95 volvo 850 glt with 30% all around, was only illegal on the fronts in VA. I have the same tint on my green 96 volvo 850 glt and strangely doesn't look as dark as my white car did. I had a buddy hook it up for $130 all around (everything but the windshield), and never had any problems with the popo.

Also, I hear if you talk to an eye doctor and have 'sensitive' eyes adjusting to light, you can get them to write a note and can have tint as dark as you want.

Non-related, but where do ground your wires to?

I will be adding 5% on all the rear windows over the factory tinted windows soon. I don't want anyone to be able to see in the back at all.

Front has 25% as the law requires. Rears I can go as dark as I want.

I have a question

I live in a zone that there is cops everywhere. Collins ave in Miami to be more precise.

What could be the worse if I tint my car 5% all around?

And rolling windows down its a good idea when one is next to you.

I have a question

I live in a zone that there is cops everywhere. Collins ave in Miami to be more precise.

If you want a repair ticket, go for it. ;)

DoctorQ, I used to have the same car, white 95 volvo 850 glt with 30% all around, was only illegal on the fronts in VA. I have the same tint on my green 96 volvo 850 glt and strangely doesn't look as dark as my white car did. I had a buddy hook it up for $130 all around (everything but the windshield), and never had any problems with the popo.

Also, I hear if you talk to an eye doctor and have 'sensitive' eyes adjusting to light, you can get them to write a note and can have tint as dark as you want.

Non-related, but where do ground your wires to?

I didn't do that wiring so I honestly can't answer that but its no a 95' 850, its a 1999 volvo s70 but they are very similar in many ways. My brother has a black 96 850 glt however...

as for the eye doctor thing, yeah I've heard that too and I was born with esotropia so at one point I was considering doing this but I've heard its a HUGE pain in the ass to get all the paperwork done and go through the process and for 2 years I haven't had any problems with cops concerning tint so for now I'm going to hold off on that.

I had a medical exemption for this car in Louisiana:

LeftSide.jpg

Unfortunately a drunk driver killed my car on a Sunday evening:

Car-Front.jpg

Now, Louisiana won't let you tint the windshield with a medical waiver, so I figured why even bother getting one.

I should be able to add to this later today.

I had a medical exemption for this car in Louisiana:

LeftSide.jpg

Unfortunately a drunk driver killed my car on a Sunday evening:

Car-Front.jpg

Now, Louisiana won't let you tint the windshield with a medical waiver, so I figured why even bother getting one.

Where in Louisiana be you?

1289ecb1.jpg

88ef5c51.jpg

Details Aaron! Details!

Need to find a tint shop in the Houston area that does quality work...the E55 is begging for some 25% metal film...

Details Aaron! Details!

Need to find a tint shop in the Houston area that does quality work...the E55 is begging for some 25% metal film...

20% black all the way around. Improves the appearance of the car so much, and it cures my phobia of people being able to look into my car. They game me a ton of flyers. The sled was 35%, wish it was this dark. I was talking with Don a little, in my obsession of reducing sound transfer with this car, I joked about the possibility of the vinyl on the glass acting as a small dampener on exterior vibrations on the glass. :)

I have a question

5% would be lighter in the front..then the back it won't always look pitch black...

20% on my 2 sides. getting rear 5 windows 5% on top of stock soon along with 35% on windshield for the privacy aspect and i have screwed up eyes. medical slip makes it so much nicer haha

IMG00095-20101011-1437.jpg

IMG00115-20101014-1027.jpg

here is a mid summer shot with sun directly into the windshield with just sides done

DSCN0338.jpg

this last shot is what makes me want to do the 5% on the rears and the windshield.i have my amps and sub in the trunk that aren't so hidden which scares me. so, go dark or be stolen

Edited by Mtopper

I got 35% on the front two windows, and I have 5% on the back three. I would have done 5% all around, but I was living in Houston at the time so I'd though I'd get a ticket. I left the front windshield as it was.

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg