keetykush

I Got The Wrong Speaker

also, the sub needs NOT be connected to anything to keep it simple

Yea, I did everything accordingly, I think the DMM may just be a piece of shit.

Did your Dad borrow one from Shizzzon?

Try changing the batteries on the dmm. Sometimes they can give strange readings if they are dying, and it can be hard to tell if the batteries are almost dead. Also, double check that you are using the correct setting.

try touching the leads together and holding it like that until the meter says 0. then measure each coil at a time.

just make sure your DMM wires are hooked up right ,

the black wire to the com slot , and the red wire to the Volt and ohm reading slot and not the Amp. slot.

then just run a quick test.

grab a 9 volt batt and test it to see if its giving you a good reading

after you run your test , and everything is working good , set your DMM to the ohm setting ( if it don't say ohm on it, it would be the 8 on its side)

then grab the sub with nothing connected to it, and on one of the set of terminals connect + to + and - to -

Not sure if you have emailed Nick about this yet, but I would advise you do so if you have not. Nick@incriminatoraudio.com

Now, on to the problem......I would love for you to be sure the sub is in fact a D2 instead of a D4 before we have to go through the hassle of sending call tags, building new subs, etc, etc. It would be very easy for someone here to have marked the sticker wrong on the box. If it is wrong, we will fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks!

You can take it to a local stereo shop and they should be able to tell you for sure as well......if you dont have any that are close, Im sure a mechanics shop or any electronics repair shop should be able to help you out.

My father supposedly has one, so I'll just have to see how it goes.

There have to be some cheap options, you don't need a high-precision measurment. I got my AC clampmeter for $15 and my cheapest dmm for $10 I believe.

try touching the leads together and holding it like that until the meter says 0. then measure each coil at a time.

Most cheap ones will read the resistance of the probes, you don't need to hold the probes together before measuring.

My test showed up 3 or 2.8 on each side, another shop test and it came up one, then another shop said it was defiantly a dual 4.... now I'm bamboozled.

for a 4 ohm woofer it usually reads 3.3 ohms per coil. (Dependant on meter)

2.8 ohms per side is a D4.

Wah BAM! See just in the wrong box ;)

My test showed up 3 or 2.8 on each side, another shop test and it came up one, then another shop said it was defiantly a dual 4.... now I'm bamboozled.

You shouldn't be, you are measuring Resistance and NOT Impedance. They will not be the same, but can tell you if you managed to get the right coils. Sounds like you did.

Things are looking optimistic, took it to best buy they said it was a dual 4..... well I'm leaning towards a false alarm now.... now its time for a box. Anyone know how the Lethal Injection does SPL wise... I really don't care if its gonna be moving mad air or the sound quality is amazing, I know I got a good sub. What is capable of though, anyone have any experience?

It is only capable of doing what your install will let it. Citing other numbers will only frustrate you as you won't achieve anything near what is cited unless you choose exactly the appropriate install and then depending on vehicles you could still easily vary by 6-10dB.

Ohh, no I'm happy with whatever. I'm just wondering if its a SQ sub with output.... or more SPL orientated. Either way I'm putting it in a proper enclosure, but I do want it to move a littler air too. I'm just happy with having a sub again, music isn't the same without one.

Numbers won't tell you that. Why ask this now instead of BEFORE you bought it. This is sort of like your enclosure saga...

Numbers won't tell you that. Why ask this now instead of BEFORE you bought it. This is sort of like your enclosure saga...

I don't care about numbers really, I'm just interested in other peoples personal experience. How did it preform for the individual in their particular setup, I'm not worried about the numbers they put up. I've read up on the sub, heard a lot of good things about it. I just want to see what others who have had experience with it have to say about it.

I've had great experiences with it. When I first put it in, I was like man that sounds awesome. I sounded a lot better than my old rockford fosgate punch 3 sound quality wise. It's pretty clear and I love it. The only negative I noticed (this could be my car, enclosure, etc. so don't go by this) is it is a little bottom heavy. That's why I'm leaning towards the SSA Xcon for my next install. This thing does get loud as hell though, it still surprises me for one single 12" that didn't break the bank. It really is all in the enclosure though, so as long as you get a good one it will make you smile. Also, it really does get louder over time as it breaks in. It's kind of rediculous how much louder it got from what it originally was like. I hope you have as good of an experience as I did, this sub is going to continue pounding in my room after I get a new setup for my car. I have a video up if you want to take a look

. I have to make another one soon, I actually set it up a little differently now and it pounds even harder.

Good Luck man!

I have a pair of 15" and love them! They are very transient have great detail and get plenty low. I couldn't be happier with them. If you want to show off they have the potential to put out .... icon_roflmao.gif

Its definitely a dual 4 ohm sub

let's look at all the uses a $20 item can do and see why people don't need them..

They can determine if you received the right speaker.

They can determine if the coils are damaged.

They can determine if a battery is discharged and needs charging.

They can determine if your voltage regulator is working properly.

They can determine if any power wire runs are shorted to ground by accident.

They can determine if a fuse is good or not.

They can help in tuning an amp to a certain extent.

They can help measure output of an amp but requires more than just a DMM.

They can help measure voltage drop issues.

They can help find resistance issues with voltage drop from the front to the rear of the car so you can isolate where the problem is occurring.

They can help measure voltage levels inside the house and frequency to determine if you have a faulty outlet or wiring in the house.

So with these common problems... you are probably right.. you don't need one. :noob:

Lets not forget to check continuity on grounds/ checking phase

let's look at all the uses a $20 item can do and see why people don't need them..

They can determine if you received the right speaker.

They can determine if the coils are damaged.

They can determine if a battery is discharged and needs charging.

They can determine if your voltage regulator is working properly.

They can determine if any power wire runs are shorted to ground by accident.

They can determine if a fuse is good or not.

They can help in tuning an amp to a certain extent.

They can help measure output of an amp but requires more than just a DMM.

They can help measure voltage drop issues.

They can help find resistance issues with voltage drop from the front to the rear of the car so you can isolate where the problem is occurring.

They can help measure voltage levels inside the house and frequency to determine if you have a faulty outlet or wiring in the house.

So with these common problems... you are probably right.. you don't need one. noob.gif

Lets not forget to check continuity on grounds/ checking phase

welcomeLW.gif