Sign in to follow this  
exxd

H/O alternator size for an 18" BL

Hi guys I was wondering if any of you have any tips for buying a H/O alternator? Currently I'm thinking of purchasing an Iraggi 260 amp dominator series alternator for my '03 Chevy Tahoe to power my 18" BL. The BL is being ran off of a kicker 1200.1 with kinetik hc 1400. Will the 260 amp H/O alt be enough for my BL?

Edited by exxd

Well...the I don't think your BL will handle being directly hooked up to your alternator. You might enjoy the sound, then the puff of white smoke escaping for your port, then the black smoke from the suspension and cone of your $400 woofer.

<---- Wise ass.

You have a 105 amp or larger alt now plus the bat. Why do you think you think you need a ho alt.

I can say with 100% certainty, your BL will never need one.

You have a 105 amp or larger alt now plus the bat. Why do you think you think you need a ho alt.

Exactly!

Your amp might though ;) If you want to play it safe, there is nothing wrong with a new alternator.

well the reason im wanting to get one is because although it doesnt happen alot, on some songs my battery needle moves a shit load and occasionally my jvc kw-avx810 screen will turn itself off to save power to keep the music playing... like i said it doesnt happen often, just on some songs with alot of bass. so my thinking is that although my stock alt may be enough, its barely enough most times and sometimes not enough the rest of the time.

edit: im also having a crazy problem that is really rare on occasion... sometimes the unit will turn itself off completely and the only way i can turn it back on is to cut the truck off, go under the hood and pull the radio 15a fuse and put it back in. only then can i turn the damn thing back on. and im not thinking that its the jvc unit, because before this unit i had a pioneer that did the same thing. so im not sure what to make of it :(

Edited by exxd

Your factory volt gauge is crap. Get a digital one or use a DMM.

Have you done the big 3?

Your factory volt gauge is crap. Get a digital one or use a DMM.

Have you done the big 3?

yes i have done the big 3 in 0 ga

Well...the I don't think your BL will handle being directly hooked up to your alternator. You might enjoy the sound, then the puff of white smoke escaping for your port, then the black smoke from the suspension and cone of your $400 woofer.

<---- Wise ass.

lol nice Duran :santa: i think u should say want amp you will be runnin not sub lol

<---- Wise ass.

lol nice Duran :santa: i think u should say want amp you will be runnin not sub lol

well i think he just wanted to be an ass, cuz i did say its being ran off of a kicker 1200.1 amp with kinetik hc 1400 battery in the back

Edited by exxd

yeah get a digital volt meter and see what it reads. You shouldn't need an H/O alt with that power. I would say either the gauge is wrong or something strange is happening somewhere... not questioning your work at all, just that doesn't really make sense.

Just looked at your pics. Do you still have the yellow top?

I saw some pics under hood too, but now I cant see them.

Just looked at your pics. Do you still have the yellow top?

I saw some pics under hood too, but now I cant see them.

i still have the yellow top, but i took it out and put a kinetik hc 1400 in its place... the yellow top is about 5+ years old but it still works good. the pic under the hood was not my car it was a reference pic of someone elses truck... im about to go take some pics of mine really quick.

Do you have a multi-meter?

I dont think voltage should be dropping too bad. Something is up like FFJ said above.

Could be a couple of things, pics would help.

ok new pics are up in the build pics link in my sig.... i was mistaken it was a kinetik hc 1800 and not a 1400

Do you have a multi-meter?

I dont think voltage should be dropping too bad. Something is up like FFJ said above.

Could be a couple of things, pics would help.

yes i have a mm, and i posted some new pics in my build pics... i set the gains to my amp using the mm

<---- Wise ass.

well i think he just wanted to be an ass, cuz i did say its being ran off of a kicker 1200.1 amp with kinetik hc 1400 battery in the back

Nice ninja edit, but you didn't say you had an amp or battery in the back when I replied.

Sign in to follow this