Sign in to follow this  
Frostedflakejake

Security With Your System

so i've been wondering the different ways that users put security into their car. especially since there are usually $1000's in audio equipment sitting in there.

alarms? park in garage? NRA sticker? Shatter Proof Glass?

i'm just curious =]

also, i hear about people getting insurance on their items so they can get fully refunded if stolen; any of you ever do anything like that? (i'm seriously considering it)

thanks!

Edited by Frostedflakejake

big dog ... big shotgun ... lol ... and a Code Alarm system ...

Viper Alarm, that's it. If someone wants to go through the trouble of ripping my shit out while my alarm is blaring, be my guest.

yeah. lol. i would feel much more comfortable if my car was being parked at a house, but its not. College parking while i live in dorms. i don't expect my windows to stay un-broken for too long..

I drive a company truck (Comcast) every day ... My Chevy stays at home as much as possible.

Just have mine insured. I live in a safe neighborhood and work is safe too.

Don't brag and show off you equipment to EVERYONE for starters, This includes bumping in the residential's. But yes getting an alarm and mount your stuff way's it hard to get to. smile.gif

Don't brag and show off you equipment to EVERYONE for starters, This includes bumping in the residential's. But yes getting an alarm and mount your stuff way's it hard to get to. smile.gif

X2

Also if you get an alarm put a siren inside the car. Just be careful not to set it off while you're in the car. Talk about waking up in the morning the hard way. :P

All my stuff is in the trunk and the only way to get in it is with a key. the back seats dont fold down,and i took out the latch to open my trunk from the cabin.

All my stuff is in the trunk and the only way to get in it is with a key. the back seats dont fold down,and i took out the latch to open my trunk from the cabin.

My alarm go's off if the trunk is opened.smile.gif

Don't brag and show off you equipment to EVERYONE for starters

oh man i had a real problem with this at first because i wanted and could have gotten the license plate "fiaudio". i wanted it reallllll bad but i decided it would just be an invitation to anyone who knows the company. same thing with the stickers.

Just have mine insured

how much does it cost? and... how exactly would one go about doing that? i have no clue how to insure material possessions.

Having a 300lb. enclosure and only being able to take it out when the seats are out too helps.

Also, NEVER bump in your residence.

really good tips in here,,,

i had my old subbox screwed to the cabin , they couldnt take it but they still destroyed it with a knife... bastards...

really good tips in here,,,

i had my old subbox screwed to the cabin , they couldnt take it but they still destroyed it with a knife... bastards...

Was your woofer named Kenny?

SouthParkKenny_400x273.jpg

I've heard people talk about not bumping in your residence but come on... u can't keep your audio system secret forever, people eventually find out.

My neighborhood is full of the elderly and police so it's mandatory respect right there.

In regards to the security-

alarm system with as many sirens as u want to have installed on the inside and out and as many sensors as u can afford, logical sensors.

you dont need a prox and window break sensor for instance, get the prox sensor instead.

Bullet\breakproof laminate sheeting on all glass(except windshield).

Insure as much stuff as your insurance company will allow.

Also, the more professional an install is, the harder it is to steal so vandalism is the only thing you really have to worry about when dealing with a nice install.

Install amps under false floors. Securely mount batteries. I like to mount my batteries on top of amps, who steals batts? even when mounted?

bolt speaker box to car from the inside of the box.

Simple things, no need to go the route of using specialty screws for every connection point...

i live in a pretty bad neighborhood w/ no alarm and i beat the hell outta my system everywhere especially my house...where else am i supposed to make adjustments and stuff specially since my garage has my dads race cars in it.... and my rockford power hx2 15 is mounted to the floor where my backseat was with my amps between the drivers seat....plus one of my doors dont lock(4 door), no window tint, and u can pull the driver window stick your arm thru and unlock it......but i dont sleep at night and w/ my dog always in the house windows and my security camera i dont worry much....the most they will do is trash my sub but thats what recones r for lol

I just got the remote start / 2 way alarm from viper. Its the Viper 5901 and its very nice!!! 1 mile range too :D

I've heard people talk about not bumping in your residence but come on... u can't keep your audio system secret forever, people eventually find out.

alarm system with as many sirens as u want to have installed on the inside and out and as many sensors as u can afford, logical sensors.

you dont need a prox and window break sensor for instance, get the prox sensor instead.

Bullet\breakproof laminate sheeting on all glass(except windshield).

Insure as much stuff as your insurance company will allow.

Also, the more professional an install is, the harder it is to steal so vandalism is the only thing you really have to worry about when dealing with a nice install.

Install amps under false floors. Securely mount batteries. I like to mount my batteries on top of amps, who steals batts? even when mounted?

bolt speaker box to car from the inside of the box.

Simple things, no need to go the route of using specialty screws for every connection point...

x2 on that. I bump in my neighborhood usually whne testing or coming home from work. Nobody has messed with the system. Let's see what all I have done.

I installed 2 M3 door mirrors with LEDs in them. These LEDs were originally white in color, I swapped them with blue ones. Each mirror has 6 LEDs. Both mirrors are wired to my alarm indicator wire (the little light that blinks). I then installed piezos inside the van. These cost right around $5 I think, from Radio Shack. They are 102dB each. They are hidden but still hurt when the go off. I then got a 60watt LEDGlow strobelight kit for $89.95. This strobe kit has a wire that connects to the positive wire of the siren. The strobes light when the alarm is set off. I also have some lights inside the van that do the same thing.

The next upgrades is going to be a Lund moonvisor with a 60watts strobe kit installed in it. 4 out of 5 of the lights will be the strobes. The center one will be Blue LEDs (3 or 4) also wired to the alarm indicator. After that is done, I'll be looking into an underbody kit to wire to one of the light output wires on my alarm (Cheapo Freedom 550). I will then start shaving the locks and installing remote door poppers.

Now my van sits at night right next to the window of the room I sleep in so I can hear just about every thing that goes on. There is also a webcam aimed at both vehicles in the driveway. When I have to leave the van for long periods of time (family outing), I put the van in the garage, which also has a webcam installed. Both webcams use Gotcha! to record the videos if any movement is captured. I don't have to worry about the van at work due to the facilities being pretty well secured.

Oh, and I "test" my alarm system on a weekly basis. Usually on a Friday or Saturday night. Just to let people see what happens if the alarm goes off.

There are some things you can do with the alarm brain, siren, and wiring, during install that will protect the alarm. One is hide the wiring, make them look like part of the vehicle factory wiring. Two, don't install the brain in a normal place (under the dash on the driver side. Third, hide that siren somewhere where people can't really get to it or the wires.

Also make sure your alarm has a battery backup in case they disconnect the main battery.

And above all else. Think outside the box. An alarm is like a lock, only made for honest people.

glad this thread came about, was definitely on my mind while i sit here waiting for my 18" BTL to arrive.. I was planning on bolting thru the box to the vehicle, flush mounted and using some off the wall type of screw to bolt the speaker down with, cant see anyone walking off with the box while the alarm is goin off, and especially when its bolted down. amp's will go under back seats (tahoe)... some tinted windows and hopefully that will be enough. I considered going with insured but that requires full coverage and I dont exactly want to put this vehicle back on that. seems to me just a proper install is the best you can do.

i was thinking about some batman stuff...

making a sliding track for some 1/2" thick metal to slide up over the back windows (2004 explorer) to make it a little bit harder to get into. fully serious about doing it, but i think it would rattle to hell. maybe... NYLON!!

My neighborhood is full of the elderly and police so it's mandatory respect right there.

lol its not about keeping it a secret in your neighborhood its about not being that douche bag that always has their system bumping (and respect like you said). It gets annoying, there is a ricer in my neighborhood that does this, I just want to throw a brick through his car one of these nights!

Since the exploder has to sit outside, i park it to where the back bumper is literally less than an inch away from the garage. That way no one can open up the trunk which means they cant get my subs ;)

Since the exploder has to sit outside, i park it to where the back bumper is literally less than an inch away from the garage. That way no one can open up the trunk which means they cant get my subs ;)

x2, I always back in when I park, especially as close to a tree or light pole so nobody can gain access to my trunk at all.