well i blew my sub a while ago. finally got it out and checked it out. the spiders managed to break. im not sure how they gave out before the suspension did. but they snapped on both sides just before they went to the cone.

i think your talking about the tinsel leads... the spider is the suspension.. what sub? got any pics?

Yeah, the spider is part of the suspension. Too much excursion. Or if it was the tinsel leads, also too much excursion. though that could have been helped by too much power as well, as too much power can fry and break tinsels. What sub/amp/box/subsonic filter setting?

ahhhh my bad lol. it was the tinsels i thought i had pry gotten my parts confused. i was powering it with an autotek amp that put out 1500 wrms. the enclosure that it was in was a half wall that was ~11-12 cubes after displacement tuned to 30 hz. subsonic was set at 20 hz. it is a death penalty 15.

its a good possibility. luckily i got like 2 years of torture on that sub. well i wouldnt say it was torture it liked it lol. i will be reconing it once i get my tax money and put it back in a proper enclosure. hopefully give it a better power source and be good to go.

Im no enclosure expert but it just seems like that box is wayyyyyy oversized. i dunno if thats what cuz it to screw up though.

No wonder it failed mechanically, you had it in an enclosure twice recommended size combined with a SSF set WAY too low!

ahhhh my bad lol. it was the tinsels i thought i had pry gotten my parts confused. i was powering it with an autotek amp that put out 1500 wrms. the enclosure that it was in was a half wall that was ~11-12 cubes after displacement tuned to 30 hz. subsonic was set at 20 hz. it is a death penalty 15.

Is the box for multiple 15"s? If it's just one then that is a huge enclosure for it. With the enclosure being that big the sub will easily over excurt, your mechanical power handling is reduced dramatically. If feeding it the full 1500wrms in that large of a box, I'm surprised the sub lasted that long lol.

EDIT:^^^What he said. Slow typing ftl.^^^

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

i figured the ssf was about pretty decent. but thats why im not gonna make that mistake again. it lasted for a while though i will give it that. i was planning on reconing it anyways so im not to upset. woulda been better if it happened when i had the money rather than now. new sub new box and ill be good to go again. im just wondering what i should tune the new box for with it being a 21" sub. and the half wall was only for 1 15.

Edited by anonymous48420

The box you have now is more suited for a 21" than a 15". It's WAY to big for a single 15".

Heck your box is to big for a 21

Heck your box is to big for a 21

His enclosure is slightly larger than maximum for an 18", it's great for a 21".

7.5 -10 cubes is recommended for a 21......good lord your box is huge

yeah its a little on the large side. if it would have stopped breaking the boxes it was in i wouldnt have had to wall it. but i went through to many boxes and it was starting to get pricey. next enclosure will be ~ 8.5 cubes after displacement.

No you put a 21 in 11-12 cubes and it'll fall on it's face. My two are in 17 cubes and they love it.

That's still to big man for just 1 15. How was the sub breaking boxes. Sure it wasn't the build?

If you are reconing it to a 21 then 8.5^ is perfect. Tune it to 32hz with about 120 inchs of port.

Edited by flipzslick

send that sub in...cut the hole for a 21 and handle it! tuning will stay the same... if it changes itll only be bout 1 hz

im doin the recone myself actually. just waitin on taxes to come in. might pick up the ia downfall shirt too that thing looks pretty spiffy. and im not really sure how i kept breaking boxes because i pre drilled holes used 2 in screws and liquid nailed all of the seams on the inside and between the boards and internal bracing. maybe the box just had too much pressure or it was user error who knows? the 21 will pry get a double baffle for the mounting board though just in case.

Triple sounds better.

Not really add it to the out side. Leaving your inside volume mine are in 9^s each before displacment. Triple on the front doubled the rest of the way. 1 layer will break, 2 layers is still flmsy, 3 is perfect.

Bracing will do a MUCH better job at supporting the weight of a woofer than piling on layers of MDF. The Warden's aren't that heavy either, as there isn't as much Steel and Iron in them.

i figured bracing would be better than tons of layers of mdf for the mounting plate. and i wont be able to keep adding layers on the front cause the woofer is going to be mounted on the top of the box and i have a max height.