jakemw

Box Design for 8" L5 Ported. Please Help!

I have never built a box for a sub before, and now I am going to be building one for a 8" Kicker L7. This is going to be put into a Jeep TJ, so it does NOT have much trunk space at all. I am not too worried about the size of the box, because I can dimension it to the size of the trunk myself. What I am worried about and have no clue is how to make the port inside the box. I need to know how much space I need in the port to get the most air. Although it is an 8", I want it to perform the best it can through the box.

I am looking on Kicker's website and these are the dimensions it says:

Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 4-3/4, 12.1

Mounting Cutout, Square (IN.,CM) 7-1/4, 18.4

Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) .33, 9.4

Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) .75, 21.2

Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** .66, 18.6

Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 1.0, 28.3

I dont know if there is any other dimensions to give, but I could find them? Also, I understand that minimum cubic feet is .66 for the box. But is there a special formula to determine length, width and height for the cubic feet dimension?

Also, if anyone knows where I get the wire connectors that are usually attached on the outside of the back of the box that would be great!

I have never built a box for a sub before, and now I am going to be building one for a 8" Kicker L7. This is going to be put into a Jeep TJ, so it does NOT have much trunk space at all. I am not too worried about the size of the box, because I can dimension it to the size of the trunk myself. What I am worried about and have no clue is how to make the port inside the box. I need to know how much space I need in the port to get the most air. Although it is an 8", I want it to perform the best it can through the box.

I am looking on Kicker's website and these are the dimensions it says:

Mounting Depth (IN.,CM) 4-3/4, 12.1

Mounting Cutout, Square (IN.,CM) 7-1/4, 18.4

Min Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) .33, 9.4

Max Rec Sealed Box Volume (CU. FT., Liters) .75, 21.2

Min Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** .66, 18.6

Max Rec Vented Box Volume (CU. Ft., Liters)** 1.0, 28.3

I dont know if there is any other dimensions to give, but I could find them? Also, I understand that minimum cubic feet is .66 for the box. But is there a special formula to determine length, width and height for the cubic feet dimension?

Also, if anyone knows where I get the wire connectors that are usually attached on the outside of the back of the box that would be great!

Area = length * width * depth

Here is a Volume Calculator

Should I just measure out what I think the box should be, and then put the measurements into the calculator. Then I guess fiddle around with the measurements until the cubic feet is correct?

Put in your max dimensions and see what that gets you, then go from there.

I am running 2 l7 8's in my daily right now. I went with 1 cube per sub tuned to 36 and I was really impressed with the sound, running 32 inches of port for the pair. I have roughly 800rms on tap and they smash my one Fi Q 12" off 1200rms. I was very weary about the sound quality from l7's but I can say the pair sounds better than the bl 18" I had and almost as good as the Q did

Okay. So I have the measurements for the box. Just needing to know what to tune it too for the port?

Width: 22", Height 1: 11", Height 2: 8", Depth: 9, Thickness: 0.75 MDF = 0.71181 <--- Measurements of the wedge box enclosure #2.

Slot port: Port Width: 2", Port Height: 9", Box Volume: 0.71", Tuning: ?? = Port Length: ??

I put down a couple guessing frequencies to start, which were; 33 = 59", 34 = 55", 35 = 52". I feel like if im using those frequencies i wouldnt be able to make the port that length?

Subwoofer Enclosure Calculators, Fraction to Decimal, Parallel, Series, Port Length and Volume Calculators <--- Calculator im using.