Thumpper

The Toyota "Sticking Gas Pedal Syndrome"

The Toyotas with this "problem" all have electronic assisted steering with an electric pump versus the standard belt driven hydraulic pump. As long as the key is in the RUN position, the steering will still work. Also, they used to make cars without power steering not too long ago. What did those people do? The only real issue here would be if they turned the key all the way off and the steering wheel locked.

oh the run position not just in the ignition see nobody said that. and what average person knows this

Everyone should know that. I learned it in drivers education.

Have you ever turned your wheel in your car without it running while sitting still? It's tough to turn but it still turns. Once you are rolling and inertia comes into play along with air underneath the vehicle causing lift, steering is easier.

You don't actually have power steering, you have power ASSISTED steering. The pump moving fluid simply makes it easier to steer. It's not a necessity.

Have you ever seen a Jaguar XJR-15? It's a super car and guess what, it has no power steering. Power steering was an option on many cars until the late 80s. Only then did the manufacturers start making it standard equipment, and only because they had to.

The Toyotas with this "problem" all have electronic assisted steering with an electric pump versus the standard belt driven hydraulic pump. As long as the key is in the RUN position, the steering will still work. Also, they used to make cars without power steering not too long ago. What did those people do? The only real issue here would be if they turned the key all the way off and the steering wheel locked.

oh the run position not just in the ignition see nobody said that. and what average person knows this

Got to remember not all places have drivers ed some of us had to learn the old fashion way.

How will steering work if the engine is off the belt isnt' turning the pump, so how is the power steering working????Just my .02.

it's only power assist...the stearing still works with the engine off

you should try driving an old vehicle with armstrong stearing

(my bad..most kids now adays have NO Idea what that is...LOL)

I have got a old 1940s ford truck in the drive way already know that feeling.

I have a 1980 F-150 with no power steering and 3 on the tree. Parallel parking is a pain. Haha.

Got to remember not all places have drivers ed some of us had to learn the old fashion way.

I did at first as well, my mom took me out and told me to drive or walk home. I took drivers education to legally drive on public roads.

I did at first as well, my mom took me out and told me to drive or walk home. I took drivers education to legally drive on public roads.

I thought that was what you took the drivers test for, here in louisiana there arent many places to take drivers ed especially up north. Most people when I was in school got a drivers ed book, and studied and took the test. We couldnt afford to take drivers ed.

My first truck did not have power steering.

I hate the media propaganda toward Toyota.

I thought that was what you took the drivers test for, here in louisiana there arent many places to take drivers ed especially up north. Most people when I was in school got a drivers ed book, and studied and took the test. We couldnt afford to take drivers ed.

The schools where I grew up have drivers education for free, there are a lot of private places too.

That was a prius you saw right? I don't even think those things have a normal key ignition. Just a damn button. And I believe their ecu won't allow the electronically controlled gearbox to go into neutral or to shut the engine off over a certain speed.

your missing the point. if you are a person that hasnt had that happen to you and your already paniced you wont be thinkin that. and no i didnt say it would work at all cause i know it will but like i said what none technical minded person thats in a painic know this. especially most women

...not at you john holmes

Edited by CaptinPower

....what happens if you run out of gas doing 80mph .....do you panic and crash ??? :suicide-santa:

seriously though....

a drivers liscense should NOT be given to someone who can't handle turning the key off and coast a car to a stop

Did you ever turn your key to the acc position while driving and then back on? We use to to that to make the truck back fire and scare the shit out of people.

....what happens if you run out of gas doing 80mph .....do you panic and crash ??? :suicide-santa:

seriously though....

a drivers liscense should NOT be given to someone who can't handle turning the key off and coast a car to a stop

How can you compare a driving emergency to running out of gas? Those are two totally different situations.

Did you ever turn your key to the acc position while driving and then back on? We use to to that to make the truck back fire and scare the shit out of people.

I did that once, my ex was fucking with my deck and wouldn't listen so I shifted into neutral and turned the car off.

once when i was going home my truck heat up bad so i decided to hit 90mph and turn off the ignition lol idk if it help but the engine didnt turn back on from been over heated :suicide-santa:

and shifting down helps alot

seriously though....

How can you compare a driving emergency to running out of gas? Those are two totally different situations.

it was leaned towards the ability to coat a vehicle to a stop with out the engine running

I don't look at a sticking throttle as a driving emergency.......

it is not a check mate situation and can be dealt with quickly with the use of common sense

that everyone with a drivers liscense should be able to deal with

seriously though....

it was leaned towards the ability to coat a vehicle to a stop with out the engine running

it is not a check mate situation and can be dealt with quickly with the use of common sense

agreed

your missing the point. if you are a person that hasnt had that happen to you befor and your already paniced you wont be thinkin that. and no i didnt say it would work at all cause i know it will but. like i said what none technical minded person thats in a painic know this. especially most women

...not at you john holmes

so what part of that did anybody read. im pretty sure most people here know what to do in this situation. but not the average person who caint even change their own oil or hell even an air filter. and especially on a crowded interstate with fast moving traffic.

i see stuff every day that people do where you would say "hey that was just dumb why is he even driving" take those same people and put them in that situation and see what happens. im not sayin no one caint handle it but its people that caint even figure out a four way

Edited by CaptinPower

Yeah, when a person gets scared or panics they tend to not use their brain effectively. Hell, there's that video floating around on the net of icy streets and people just jumping out of their cars as they slide.

seriously though....

agreed

So you dont think its a emergency if your driving, coming up to a stop and your throttle sticks. Plus as we all know everyone that has a drivers liscence doesnt need one. Everyone doesnt react the same in a emergency.

When two big union run automakers in the USA are struggling badly due to poor quality products, gov't bail outs, and excessive paychecks and pensions, is it too far fetched for this administration to see who is easiest to attack to divert attention.... Oh maybe the #1 selling brand in the world?

Don't forget the special deal the unions cut in terms of health care earlier.

When two big union run automakers in the USA are struggling badly due to poor quality products, gov't bail outs, and excessive paychecks and pensions, is it too far fetched for this administration to see who is easiest to attack to divert attention.... Oh maybe the #1 selling brand in the world?

Don't forget the special deal the unions cut in terms of health care earlier.

X2. This country is media fueled. Think back to Y2K. The tv said we were all going to be without power, electricity, water, food...etc and boy did we all get the wool pulled over our eyes.....Everyone stocked up on food and bottled water etc and none of it was necessary. The media is used as a tool that takes Americans mind off of a bad situation and refocus it on something else. Even a more recent example is the swine flu "pandemic". Yes it was important to wash your hands and being careful around people who were sick but the media took it to the extreme. STAY INSIDE! LOCK YOUR DOORS!.... The media is just there to "soften" the blow of what is really going on around us. People need to take their blinders off and really start looking at what is going on.

Sorry if I just got all 60-70's radical on you but needed to clear my mind of this.

I already wear an armadiller hat so they can't get me with the brain waves.

:P

Is there a problem with the pedal/fuel? Probably. Is it serious? Maybe. Is it wide spread? I think not.

You'd be surprised what drivers don't know. I was at autozone the other day and overheard the manager talking to a customer. He asked if the customer's car was an automatic or manual transmission. The customer didn't know and had to ask what the difference was :ehh: