Randal Johnson

Cablguy184's 97 Chevy Silverado

We worked on my truck all day Saturday getting it ready for paint ...

image_url-43297-1368324980.jpg

image_url-43297-1368325016.jpg

image_url-43297-1368325196.jpg

image_url-43297-1368325106.jpg

No where done and ready for paint ... Still have the top (hail damage) to go ...

But so far, All of this was done on one Saturday ... We Should have the top done next Saturday if everything goes according to plan ...

And got the hood squared up and ready to go !!!

image_url-43297-1368325259.jpg

image_url-43297-1368325242.jpg

With my dad supervising, and with the BIG help from my son and my cousin, This truck should be ready for paint soon !!! Then I can get to work on my car !!!

And for those with the "just listen to it" comments. That is seriously laughable. I have listened to pretty much every driver in the Madisound, PE, Solen, and ... catalogs. Including tons that have never made it to market. All in environments way nicer than a car. So yes, not only do I understand scientifically what will happen but my ears have experienced it as well. Exactly why I will not be attending some simple car audio event. Compared to sitting in Ray Kimber's, Dave Wilson's, Jim Winey's, Orfield Lab's and other listening rooms I've been in there is not anything in car audio that will impress me.

I have absolutely NO interest in "Sound Labs" and "listening rooms". My interest is strictly Car Audio ...

I have no acess to any of these ... So I will continue to learn about car audio using what I have to work with, that being "Car Audio" ...

And for those with the "just listen to it" comments. That is seriously laughable.

Why is that ?? Just out of curiosity ... How else are you suppost to enjoy car audio ??

I mean seriously ... What did you actually do while you were in those "sound labs" and "listening rooms" ??? Did you listen to them ?????????

there is not anything in car audio that will impress me.

Then why are you wasting your time teaching people about car audio ??

I left out a ton of other obvious things that can help, but if my recommendation were followed it would benefit things GREATLY.

Install is everything and all Imp & I are doing is trying to help. Stop taking it personally and open your ears.

If it's wrong in your eyes, I'm cool with that cause aparently NOTHING IN CAR AUDIO impresses you anyways ...

YOU put Impious' name into your post, so I did not in way way quote him ...

However, I think he has figured out that I would prefer to get out into the field and learn from the people that are into car audio ... Like Mark Eldrige, Steve Stern, Scott Buwalda, Todd Crowder, Robert Rayfield, Jimmy Walker, Kirk Proffit, Steve Cook, etc ... man this list goes on and on ...

So Sean, Please forgive me when I would rather listen to people that gets out and enjoys the sport of car audio (like myself) rather than some one that is not impressed with car audio in any way and will not make any attempt to show up at atleast one car audio event and hang out with us, demo vehicles, or even cheer on your fellow SSA members ripping it up in SPL competition ...

Edited by Cablguy184

I will not be attending some simple car audio event.

or even cheer on your fellow SSA members ripping it up in SPL competition ...

Maybe this is why ...

Edited by Cablguy184

Hey stranger! 

Hey stranger!

hows it goin Brother ??

Well, I think if I can get my hail damaged top worked out and coated with primer ... I will be doing good. Only thing left will be sanding and smooth out minor rough places ...

Cablguy184, on 13 May 2013 - 02:57, said:

///M5, on 07 Apr 2013 - 20:50, said:

And for those with the "just listen to it" comments. That is seriously laughable. I have listened to pretty much every driver in the Madisound, PE, Solen, and ... catalogs. Including tons that have never made it to market. All in environments way nicer than a car. So yes, not only do I understand scientifically what will happen but my ears have experienced it as well. Exactly why I will not be attending some simple car audio event. Compared to sitting in Ray Kimber's, Dave Wilson's, Jim Winey's, Orfield Lab's and other listening rooms I've been in there is not anything in car audio that will impress me.

I have absolutely NO interest in "Sound Labs" and "listening rooms". My interest is strictly Car Audio ...

I have no acess to any of these ... So I will continue to learn about car audio using what I have to work with, that being "Car Audio" ...

And for those with the "just listen to it" comments. That is seriously laughable.

Why is that ?? Just out of curiosity ... How else are you suppost to enjoy car audio ??

I mean seriously ... What did you actually do while you were in those "sound labs" and "listening rooms" ??? Did you listen to them ?????????

Then why are you wasting your time teaching people about car audio ??

I left out a ton of other obvious things that can help, but if my recommendation were followed it would benefit things GREATLY.

Install is everything and all Imp & I are doing is trying to help. Stop taking it personally and open your ears.

If it's wrong in your eyes, I'm cool with that cause aparently NOTHING IN CAR AUDIO impresses you anyways ...

YOU put Impious' name into your post, so I did not in way way quote him ...

However, I think he has figured out that I would prefer to get out into the field and learn from the people that are into car audio ... Like Mark Eldrige, Steve Stern, Scott Buwalda, Todd Crowder, Robert Rayfield, Jimmy Walker, Kirk Proffit, Steve Cook, etc ... man this list goes on and on ...

So Sean, Please forgive me when I would rather listen to people that gets out and enjoys the sport of car audio (like myself) rather than some one that is not impressed with car audio in any way and will not make any attempt to show up at atleast one car audio event and hang out with us, demo vehicles, or even cheer on your fellow SSA members ripping it up in SPL competition ...

You should read without so much emotion. I love music. That is why I am interested in reproducing it. I'd prefer if I didn't have to do any work to make this happen, but the general public has crap for ears so the general products follow. Once you find yourself listening to music in a better environment it'll sour your feelings on cars. Doesn't mean I don't want a good sounding system in my car since I like to listen to music. As for the "just listen to it" comment you completely misinterpreted what I said. My comment wasn't don't listen but that using it as a method to convince someone of something is ridiculous. The only way to subjectively compare things is blind A/B testing. The human emotion confuses things way to easy with any predetermined knowledge.

As for the events, I used to attend events. Stopped going more than 20 years ago. Just not into the dipshits that come out. Obviously no matter what the event I'd cheer on my friends. Asinine to think differently.

We ran into some complications this weekend and had to stop working on the truck ...

So in all actuallity, Nothing got done to the truck this weekend ... except for the air conditioner went out on the way to dad's shop ... again

and the starter is starting to drag more than usual ... just my damn luck

So after I got totally frustrated with the truck and gave up on it ... we turned our attention to the 49 Ford and FINALLY made some progress to something ...

You should read without so much emotion. I love music. That is why I am interested in reproducing it. I'd prefer if I didn't have to do any work to make this happen, but the general public has crap for ears so the general products follow. Once you find yourself listening to music in a better environment it'll sour your feelings on cars. Doesn't mean I don't want a good sounding system in my car since I like to listen to music. As for the "just listen to it" comment you completely misinterpreted what I said. My comment wasn't don't listen but that using it as a method to convince someone of something is ridiculous. The only way to subjectively compare things is blind A/B testing. The human emotion confuses things way to easy with any predetermined knowledge.

As for the events, I used to attend events. Stopped going more than 20 years ago. Just not into the dipshits that come out. Obviously no matter what the event I'd cheer on my friends. Asinine to think differently.

We do have something in common believe it or not ... as far as I can tell, You love your music just as much as I do !!!

Like I said earlier ... If I had acess to better listening environments, maybe I'd feel a little different. But my everyday life revolves around a Car Audio environment. Here lately it's been finding good hiding places for drivers in Street Rods and producing a decent sound ... LOL

As far as "subjectively comparing things is blind A/B testing" goes, we get out try sitting and listening to vehicles like Scott Buwalda's G35 or Todd Crowder's Camaro (more than one or a few people I might add) and then sitting and listening to vehicles like my truck and being really suprised that my truck is actually "Not that Far off" so to speak ... Is that considered rediculous ???

And I agree with you 100 percent about the majority of Car Audio events ... Most want to see how loud they get and reach the highset SPL number they can in their class ... No pride in their system's installations, no care for true sound, no care in vehicle appearance ... Geez this list goes on and on !!!

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO HELP US OUT IN THE SOUND QUALITY WORLD TO MAKE OUR SPORT BETTER !!!

If people like us just "give up" on true audiophile sound reproduction, the meanings get lost and twisted so nobody actually knows the true meanings of the words ...

Yes, I said Audiophile ... The search for perfect Audio reproduction ... So instead of spamming up my thread about how bad it is in using the term Audiophile, Please Teach us the true meaning and how we can learn "What it is", whare we can find it, and know what it is when we've reached our goals ... And I would like this in simple terms please. I sold my set of encylopedias since my wife thinks she knows everything ...

-

As for the "just listen to it" comment you completely misinterpreted what I said. My comment wasn't don't listen but that using it as a method to convince someone of something is ridiculous. The only way to subjectively compare things is blind A/B testing. The human emotion confuses things way to easy with any predetermined knowledge.

I am trying my best to understand what you are saying here ... Without using millions of dollars test equipment, Can you PLEASE tell us a better way of doing this in a "Car Audio Environment" ??? I am VERY open to suggestion here !!!

Me and Clint (Dangrebel) spent over an hour in my truck that night on Daytona beach listgening to music ... The First time he's ever got to hear real "stage and image" and was hooked !!! Now he has an idea of what he wants out of his front stage and is working towards that now ... No, I'm not convinceing him to go with my chosen product, but a general idea of driver positioning and installation methods that will help him make his system better ...

Getting out at these events and meeting up is the only way to make things like this happen ... FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC

I'm personally inviting you to come out to the Unified World Finals event in Huntsville, Alabama to meet up with us !!! I know of about 20 or so people with vehicles that would GLADLY open up their doors and let you give us your honnest opinions about the Sound Quality setups ... I also know of a few BAD ASS SPL machines that would let you jump in for a demo or two !!!

Hopefully I will get to see you soon my brother !!!

Edited by Cablguy184

Randal, if you want to hear how a good car stereo should sound you don't even need a car. Many reasonably high end stereo shops have listening rooms that can make Scott's car and others sound mundane in comparison. This is a great place to start and way better than any car audio event.

I travel 40+ weeks a year for work. When not traveling for work I am spending time with my kids. Sort of kicks Huntsville out the window unless I happened to be there for business, but it is Alabama so that isn't so likely. For instance this week I am at the SAE NVH show. Single biggest mecca for automobile noise reduction in the world. Nearly 100% of the visitors are customers of mine. Obviously I can't miss events like this.

As for the blind a/b testing that requires almost no test equipment. It's obviously better if the output is normalized, but other than that nothing is needed. I'd be glad to explain it. Not sure what you don't understand about it though. Give me a start and I'll expound.

Randal, if you want to hear how a good car stereo should sound you don't even need a car. Many reasonably high end stereo shops have listening rooms that can make Scott's car and others sound mundane in comparison. This is a great place to start and way better than any car audio event.

Now this just made my day LOL ... Thank you Sir !!! "good car audio sound without the use of a car" ... Nice !!!

I take it if I need to go searching on HAF (Home Audio Forum) for good home audio or home theater, you're saying that I really don't need a home for that either ??? Honnestly, i don't know how to respond to this without laughing so hard ...

And you are saying that the "average" car audio shop with plywood walls with components drilled on, ran to a switchboard, then to an amplifier is going to sound better than Scott's or Todd's car ??? Give me a break. I need to pull over before I wreck ... LOL

I travel 40+ weeks a year for work. When not traveling for work I am spending time with my kids. Sort of kicks Huntsville out the window unless I happened to be there for business, but it is Alabama so that isn't so likely. For instance this week I am at the SAE NVH show. Single biggest mecca for automobile noise reduction in the world. Nearly 100% of the visitors are customers of mine. Obviously I can't miss events like this.

52 weeks in a year and you are away from your family for 40+ ... Thats insane bro !!!

I had a chance or two to go out and buy a bucket truck, hook the camper to it, get out there in the real world and make the big bucks and make me one hell of a carrer ... Only one problem, my family. I made a choice. Go out and get paid, or stay local and make do and have a life with my wife and kids. I chose to stay home and grow old with my wife and see my kids grow up. Its your decision to put your career over being with your family. Yea, you may have a bad ass career, but there is always a price ... You kids may not say it now, of know it now, but they WILL Remember all of those little moments and "special" events that happened and daddy wasn't there to see it ...

Honnestly dude, you have a choice. Just saying ...

and to think my son wonders why I go to the skate park with him ... He thinks I'm trying to watch over him from doing anything bad or something ... You know how kids are like that. Honnestly, I just go there and sit in amazement watching my son do those crazy "big air" stunts on a sketeboard ...

As for the blind a/b testing that requires almost no test equipment. It's obviously better if the output is normalized, but other than that nothing is needed. I'd be glad to explain it. Not sure what you don't understand about it though. Give me a start and I'll expound.

No thank you ... We do have a common interest in music, but we definately Do Not have the same common interest in Car Audio ... I'd rather be Doin' what we do best: Eatin' laughin' and playin Cars !!! Good enough for me ...

I love the truck Randal. Wish I had a family member with a paint shop

I love the truck Randal. Wish I had a family member with a paint shop

Thanks brother !!! I will be glad when its done so we can really get started on the 49.

Now this just made my day LOL ... Thank you Sir !!! "good car audio sound without the use of a car" ... Nice !!!
Seriously?? Are you that confused that you think there is a difference in music reproduction based on where it is? You set your goals WAY too low. Great audio should be great audio regardless of location or environment. Nearly impossible to do this in a car so benchmarking not in the car is by far the most cost effective way. Only downfall is that it will make you rather uninspired by what can be done in a car.

And you are saying that the "average" car audio shop with plywood walls with components drilled on, ran to a switchboard, then to an amplifier is going to sound better than Scott's or Todd's car ??? Give me a break. I need to pull over before I wreck ... LOL

You can't really be that stupid. I said nothing about car audio shops. TERRIBLE places to shop IMO. They regularly sell overpriced mediocre crap like Blues Audio stuff.

52 weeks in a year and you are away from your family for 40+ ... Thats insane bro !!!

I had a chance or two to go out and buy a bucket truck, hook the camper to it, get out there in the real world and make the big bucks and make me one hell of a carrer ... Only one problem, my family. I made a choice. Go out and get paid, or stay local and make do and have a life with my wife and kids. I chose to stay home and grow old with my wife and see my kids grow up. Its your decision to put your career over being with your family. Yea, you may have a bad ass career, but there is always a price ... You kids may not say it now, of know it now, but they WILL Remember all of those little moments and "special" events that happened and daddy wasn't there to see it ...

Why do you assume you spend more time with your kids than I do mine just because I travel? My boss & company is completely family first. I spend WAY more time being a parent than any other one I know. My priorities are in the right way in that regard.

No thank you ... We do have a common interest in music, but we definately Do Not have the same common interest in Car Audio ... I'd rather be Doin' what we do best: Eatin' laughin' and playin Cars !!! Good enough for me ...
Oh, so when it's useful you do not want to learn? Nice attitude. Not sure why the love of music has to be isolated to a car for you. For me it happens in a car, on a plane, in my office, in my kitchen, in my living room, in my listening room. Basically everywhere.

The real question is why are you so against actually learning something? I seriously don't get it. You seem to want to live and breath car audio but are holding yourself back so far on understanding it. I don't get it.

Whatever dude ... lets just keep it simple and get back to the truck please ...

For me it happens in a car, on a plane, in my office, in my kitchen, in my living room, in my listening room. Basically everywhere.

In places like this ... I'm usually paying more attention to the wife than anything else, if you know what I mean ...

Oh yes, good dinner, couple of beers, good music ... Its on !!!

Cablguy184, on 22 May 2013 - 03:33, said:

///M5, on 22 May 2013 - 02:17, said:

For me it happens in a car, on a plane, in my office, in my kitchen, in my living room, in my listening room. Basically everywhere.

In places like this ... I'm usually paying more attention to the wife than anything else, if you know what I mean ...

Oh yes, good dinner, couple of beers, good music ... Its on !!!

Car/Office/Plane/Listening Room - I am usually alone or with someone listening to music

Kitchen/Living Room - We celebrate music as a family.

You really should spend some time in a listening room once. It'll really open your eyes. Probably the absolute best thing you could do to improve your car stereo.

You really should spend some time in a listening room once. It'll really open your eyes. Probably the absolute best thing you could do to improve your car stereo.

Will do Sir ... If I ever get acess to one.  

Yikes, indeed.  Audio Central looks like a joke and the best thing local to Rankin.

Yikes, indeed.  Audio Central looks like a joke and the best thing local to Rankin.

I wouldn't buy a fuse from Audio Central around here ...

We normally use Precision Audio in Madison, Ms ... Chance Parks is a great guy to work with and does top notch work ... Another shop that we use here is Empress Audio in Pearl, Ms ... Clark is VERY good with his installations ...

Honnestly, we don't use anybody located in Jackson, Ms ...

Edited by Cablguy184

If all goes according to plan ... Should be spraying on that beautiful white paint on the old truck this weekend !!!

If all goes according to plan ... Should be spraying on that beautiful white paint on the old truck this weekend !!!

Good to hear!

ricksi30, on 26 Jul 2013 - 00:53, said:

Cablguy184, on 26 Jul 2013 - 00:52, said:

Good to hear!
Thanks man ... yea, Finally got the insurance money from the Hail storm !!!

Looks like I will be making plans for this old truck's final Sound Quality competition at World Finals this year ...

The car will not be ready and will be put aside to prep and tune the truck ...

My plans are to be in MECA Moddex and USACI Xtreme Q ...