abmoore

Two-way active front stage

I do feel responsible because I asked him to join. I know him away from the boards and he is not boastful in real life. He has been chasing 6Appeal and the rest of us in our circle for a long time. Now that he has done well, he's proud of himself, and we in turn are proud of him.

I never implied he shouldn't be proud, just shouldn't use whatever achievement he has to promote what he has for gear. Instead use technical arguments and everything is fine. You also have nothing to feel responsible for that is bad. You brought someone here who stands a chance to learn a great deal and hopefully can evolve to even find this place to be a home. I was serious when I said I have absolutely no beef with him. When his or anyone's comments are out of line I will call them out, but that surely doesn't mean its personal. :)

Cool deal M5, no harm, no foul. I just wish I knew more of the "technical" aspects of this hobby. I know what has and hasn't worked for me in the past and that is the information I try to give to others. When I know (or think I know) a technical point I try to share it, but I'm not beyond saying I have absolutely no idea how some of this stuff works from a physics standpoint. (that's where you guys come in) :)

I would love to hear some of the new products on the market to see how they compare to what I've used in the past. Amplifier-wise, it will be hard to pry me away from LP, but it's a product I know and I have LONG-standing ties with Ray. I've known him for the better part of 25 years, so there's a lot of history there. I've also known Blues since it was started many moons ago and have some items that a lot of people never got to see, like the truck box triso that is something like 4" deep at the top, 7-8" deep at the bottom, houses two 8's and a ten with ports coming out the sides. Sad part is I own the darn thing, and STILL can't figure out how they built it!

I hope that by being here I can learn more of the science behind this hobby and in the process pass along what I've learned to others that may be not as "seasoned." (ok, I'm an old fart, but I'm only as old as I feel!) :P

I am really interested to hear about the solution with the horns, I can only imagine the volume those would create on a truck cabin! OP, PLEASE post pics if and when you put horns in, I want to see how you dealt with the install challenges. I'm sure you'll come up with something! :)

OK, so I am pretty sure after my measurements horns will work!! I will go with the full size but which one should I buy from the ID line. So now I gotta decide on the 8" midbass and amplifiers, I was looking at the HiVi D8.8s and peerless SLSs. Not sure if the HiVi will work, its rather large. Also the Dynovox's? Is that the right type of driver, I couldn't find too much information on them.

If your a beginner and not competing with them then go with the Image Dynamics CD1MH V.3 but it is a personal preference and what your budget is for them.

If your a beginner and not competing with them then go with the Image Dynamics CD1MH V.3 but it is a personal preference and what your budget is for them.

That sounds like me then. See they are in your future system upgrade list too. What amp are you expecting to use with them?

The SLS won't go high enough.

How much of a midbass nut are you (trade off is less output) and what budget is left for the 8's?

That sounds like me then. See they are in your future system upgrade list too. What amp are you expecting to use with them?

Yeah considering price I was like I can stick with the beginner's pair as they are still louder than any other tweeters out there besides bullet ones (too harsh for my liking). If you need any information about them contact Eric (ID) at 866-933-1414 ext. 101 (very helpful).

I am in the process of either buying a Zed Audio Leviathan (6 channel amp) or waiting for there 4 channel amp to come out later this year. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Really, I want better defined drums, especially kickdrums for the metal and other rock I listen to. I mean output is important, I still want good quality thuogh. So I would sacrifice output before losing any more accuracy or quality. My sub stage will be crossed low, probably 50Hz so I will be missing out above that I am guessing, I already am right now and its not very satisfying.

The SLS won't go high enough.

How much of a midbass nut are you (trade off is less output) and what budget is left for the 8's?

Well as for the budget, I can take some out of my HT budget so potentially whatever I need to spend to get the drivers I need. I actually listened in threads before this one (eventually :)) and have money set aside for the install so a couple hundred or little more would be fine.

Really, I want better defined drums, especially kickdrums for the metal and other rock I listen to. I mean output is important, I still want good quality thuogh. So I would sacrifice output before losing any more accuracy or quality. My sub stage will be crossed low, probably 50Hz so I will be missing out above that I am guessing, I already am right now and its not very satisfying.

Is it acceptable to raise the crossover frequency of your sub and pull that part of the stage back to give you the kick drum feel and some wicked mids up front?

The reason I ask is that you will have to sacrifice somewhere. Either you have the output you desire and you cross your sub higher, or you have an unbelievable stage. Everything is a compromise. You could with either though have a couple different eq setups for different listening volumes, but you'll need a crossover that will let you store multiple crossover points then as well.

I am stuck in offering up a pro audio midrange that will blend great with the horns, or a subwoofer for an 8" which will blend well with the 50hz subs. Of course if you are willing to put a 10lb driver up front and put a ton of power on it you can have both. In that range though, my choice would actually be a 10".

What do you think?

Is it acceptable to raise the crossover frequency of your sub and pull that part of the stage back to give you the kick drum feel and some wicked mids up front?

The reason I ask is that you will have to sacrifice somewhere. Either you have the output you desire and you cross your sub higher, or you have an unbelievable stage. Everything is a compromise. You could with either though have a couple different eq setups for different listening volumes, but you'll need a crossover that will let you store multiple crossover points then as well.

I am stuck in offering up a pro audio midrange that will blend great with the horns, or a subwoofer for an 8" which will blend well with the 50hz subs. Of course if you are willing to put a 10lb driver up front and put a ton of power on it you can have both. In that range though, my choice would actually be a 10".

What do you think?

A ten inch sounds good to me. Hey Sean will a 10" work with my 3-4" fullrange setup? I guess what I am asking is will the 10" have as good of trans. response as an 8" for a SQ setup? I imagine it could be driver dependent MOSTLY?

If you find some of these, can fit them, and give them enough power you'll be more than happy.

Aurasound NS10-513-4A 10" Subwoofer NLA from Madisound

Not sure when Aura is going to re-release them though so used it would have to be atm.

WOW Sean, I don't know if I could find a BADDER midbass if I tryed. I had been looking pretty hard at the Vifa NE225w-04 8" and its 10" big brother, But this Aura is a beast.

I found a store with these Aura's in stock and I WILL buy them TODAY if you tell me I am not going to find anything even close to better for my SQ APP. with the full range 3"-4" driver?

YES I am a young bull and could spend years looking at drivers and still miss the mark. Thanks for your time Sean.smile.gif

If you find some of these, can fit them, and give them enough power you'll be more than happy.

Not sure when Aura is going to re-release them though so used it would have to be atm.

WOW Sean, I don't know if I could find a BADDER midbass if I tryed. I had been looking pretty hard at the Vifa NE225w-04 8" and its 10" big brother, But this Aura is a beast.

I found a store with these Aura's in stock and I WILL buy them TODAY if you tell me I am not going to find anything even close to better for my SQ APP. with the full range 3"-4" driver?

YES I am a young bull and could spend years looking at drivers and still miss the mark. Thanks for your time Sean.smile.gif

Those 10's are almost 6" deep. You will have to hang a leg out the window of your Honda to drive.

Take pics.

I will be mounting the bigger midbass flat with the door because it will be crossed lower than the 6.5 thats there now. I think even with the 6" depth The pod would still Not be out as far as the corner of my pod now.

med_gallery_10399_356_290224.jpg

Here is a 10" for fitment and mocking.

med_gallery_10399_356_70027.jpg

top veiws, this 10" is only 5" deep but I have a couple 10" subs I will test fit also but I think I am good.

med_gallery_10399_356_403210.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_107127.jpg

I will be making the hole in to the door cavity ATLEAST the DIA. of the driver so as not to choke the backwaves of the driver. The door will be sealed as good as possible, Dampened and lined with LLP. I will probably make MOST of my new pod out of MDF so the Driver will have a VERY SOLID mount to push off of. YES I have the POWER to drive the properly with NO clipping.biggrin.gif

You are prolly right, they way your pods are aimed now, it should not be much worse.

Do it!

A 10 would be sexy as hell!!

I test fitteda TRUE 10" with 6" depth here are the pictures.

med_gallery_10399_356_227383.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_382689.jpg

med_gallery_10399_356_147685.jpg

My pod now sticks out like 1 1/2" -2" more than this Sony sub, And thats just from on top of the door card, I could get the 10" sub in about another 1 1/2"- 2" when done.

What do you think Sean?

I can only fit a 3" midrange as the biggest for my dash pods. The 3"ers wold be about 15 degress of axis to get both sides to match. I still lOOking at fullrangers Also SO open MORE suggestions. Or maybe a REALLY BaddAss Dome tweeter firing straight up bouncing off the windsheild?and raise the staging alittle more?unsure.gif

I take back my do it comment, that looks uncomfortable. . (would still like to see pics)

Wouldnt your leg block a lot of the sound? If your leg is resting on the midbass it's goint to be hard to not hear just your side since it will be right on top of you. Sometimes just feeling it on your pants leg makes you mind hear just one side.

I take back my do it comment, that looks uncomfortable. . (would still like to see pics)

Wouldnt your leg block a lot of the sound? If your leg is resting on the midbass it's goint to be hard to not hear just your side since it will be right on top of you. Sometimes just feeling it on your pants leg makes you mind hear just one side.

The 10" mounted flat will be WAY moe comfortable than the Pod is now.

The 10" in the picture is probably 1 1/2" - 2" lower and 1 1/2"-2" out more than than where THE pod will place it.

As far as feeling the one more, I usaully turn the right side Midbass up after I play with T/A if this starts occuring, as I only listen loud by myself from the drivers seat.

RIGHT NOW I can hardly hear the mids in my car over the 15" BTL and the Tweeters, and I DON"T want to turn them down to the mids level.

I've seen the 12" version of that play nicely beyond 1kHz. :) Sure you'll get some beaming at those frequencies, but in your case you won't have to. They will take some power to get moving, but are GREAT woofers. You could surely match them with horns, but in your case with a 3" you'll be able to really play with the crossover frequencies to really pick what works right.

FYI, they should be around $150 ea. Not sure what that store is selling them for.

I've seen the 12" version of that play nicely beyond 1kHz. smile.gif Sure you'll get some beaming at those frequencies, but in your case you won't have to. They will take some power to get moving, but are GREAT woofers. You could surely match them with horns, but in your case with a 3" you'll be able to really play with the crossover frequencies to really pick what works right.

FYI, they should be around $150 ea. Not sure what that store is selling them for.

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! I am pretty sure I will order em'. THey look like JUST what I have been serching for. ONCE AGAIN you are the MAN SEAN.bow28.gif

The place I found them has them at $154.10 SO p-u-u-u-r-r-r-fect!!!!!

If you ever sell them let me know. :) PM me where you found them if you will, I might have need for some of the 12's fairly soon.

What site has them j-roadtatts? I can use my deep doors to my advantage if I use those. What should I use as damping for those!!

Also thinking a Leviathan to run the front stage. That should be plenty of headroom for the horns and the mids/subs (if i get 10s I guess I will just say I am running two sub stages haha). So M5, is this the set up you were referring to when you said this will give me both the great soundstage and the output I am looking for? And are they required to be in a sealed box or is IB fine?