abmoore

Two-way active front stage

I'd be a little leary of the post Maxx-suckus MB stuff...

If you put the 8's in the kick are you willing to cut metal to vent them into the hood/fender/outside? If not, doors it is.

How hard (ie are you really willing) to put a 4" tweeter in the a pillar?

Depending on the answers to those we will know how on axis the tweeters will be which will surely help narrow down the selection.

Alright door it is for the mids! I am willing to do whatever is best, so if the a pillar would yeild the best results, that would be fine. I think kick panels would be easier, although I need to learn how to do the pillars, I have a guy that could help me if I needed him. How would the selection process be differen due to location (just a short explanation out of curiosity, if a pillars are better those recommendations would be all I need)?

And the mb quart amp isn't bad, I mean for 150 dollars it was a pretty solid amp. Its in a girls car on some morel tempos and a fi ssd 12, I would pick a refurb sundown 100.4 or crescendo 1000.4 next time just because 90 dollars more is worth the warranty to me. I just ended up selling them for a little net gain.

Best results will come from the installation location you spend the most time maximizing. How flexible is the H100? I looked at it briefly, realized it wouldn't do what I needed and haven't since. Knowing its capabilities would help.

5 band parametric 1/3 octave steps, 3 Q settings, +/- 6 dBs , 7 band graphic, T/A 1 ms steps, 3 way active crossover but I haven't used it yet, so if anyone knows how it well it functions let me know! Sub has phase, level, mono/stereo. Its kind of basic, I want to upgrade to the 701, but this is what I have now.

I will let you guys know what increments are available as options on the x-over when I get switched to 3-way, I am hoping for tomarrow.smile.gif

I will let you guys know what increments are available as options on the x-over when I get switched to 3-way, I am hoping for tomarrow.smile.gif

1/3 octave is descriptive assuming they start at the standard 31.5, if not they aren't following the IEC.

In that case though, your pick on location. Both can work well. Trade-offs are stage height versus a bit of stage confusion by the extreme driver separation. Personally I'd probably choose the height, but that is a bit up to you. The other way of choosing is which is more effort and likely to work for you. What do you think?

I wanna try up high then, I can use some TA to help the seperation. Do the mids now need to be more on axis now, maybe slighty towards me and the passenger as well as angled up? I want to put the tweets in the space between the pillar and the dash if that's ok. Time for drivers!!! By the way thanks so much for the help you two.

And should the tweet ne on axis horizontally towards me or in between the passenger and I. I do drive people probably 50% of the time. Guess they don't sit in the car with me though for hours, nor do they pay the bills haha.

How far off axis will the tweets be in the pillars? I realize you sort of answered this by asking, but just wondering on your flexibility. If they have to be off axis you need drivers that are good for that, if not it is easier :)

How far off axis will the tweets be in the pillars? I realize you sort of answered this by asking, but just wondering on your flexibility. If they have to be off axis you need drivers that are good for that, if not it is easier :)

How much easier? I saw those radiating ring tweeters like the scanspeaks and the vifas, I heard the vifa once for like one minute, not long enough but it sounded great. What are the recommendations for each way? Easier would be nice, but I feel like totally on axis to myself in the driver seat might affect the performance to the passengers, I just have to figure out if I care though lol. Any mid suggestions, or tweets first then mids.

First suggestion is to not care about the passenger, second is to not determine what direction until you can play with the drivers you buy. I was just asking for general aiming.

You've heard the XT25 and 2904/3004? Anything you really liked about one versus the other?

First suggestion is to not care about the passenger, second is to not determine what direction until you can play with the drivers you buy. I was just asking for general aiming.

You've heard the XT25 and 2904/3004? Anything you really liked about one versus the other?

Just the XT25, was in the kick, I know this is an awful description, but it felt soft and nice on the ears, yet still got decently loud.

Oh, and let's forget the passenger :drink40:

Oh, and when choosing woofers, should I look for low HD or a flatter FR, basically which is more important non linear vs. linear distortion? I guess I am going to need something to match with the Vifa, which I think I will try and cross at 2.5 kHz at 12 dB/Oct or 2 kHz at 18 or 24 dBs/Oct.

By the way, I am going to go with either the Vifa XT25BG60-04 or the Vifa XT25TG30-04, couldn't see the difference, guessing the TG30 isn't sheilded correct? Also going to try and decide on an amp for those, I will report back with that when I figure it out.

Update: Bought a XS D3400!!! Subs expected to arrive on thursday too. I will start a build log and get some pics up.

Found some woofers I was thinking may work with the Vifa tweet:

Dayton ST210-8 Series II 8", saw that it had a pretty nice efficiency, says it has low distortion, and high power handling. Problem was that the FR seemed to be a bit peaky, but no big dips.

Eminence ALPHA-8A, or BETA-8. Both had an extended FR, high sensitivity, paper cone!, but they lack on midbass (just below 100 Hz it seems, just cross my sub higher I guess)

Dayton RS220 Good midbass, low distortion, but may not be able to play high enough.

Peerless Nomex 830869 8" May also be a good choice

Scanspeak 18W/8545K 7" Not sure, Flat FR, high sensitivity

Any suggestions? Are these some good choices?

Sorry, been gone for the weekend and busy.

I had never seen the double mag version of the XT25, interesting. Nice tweeter, doesn't do well super off axis though.

As for the 8" Dayton, it has a rough resonance that won't make it easy to integrate the first time around. I'd recommend something a bit more tame. The Eminence is a pro audio driver and won't have any midbass, not a good 2 way solution...or solution in general IMO. Interesting start though.

An easy to integrate 8 would be something along the lines of a CA22RNX from Seas. Spend a little time on Zaph's site reading his opinions about 8's and then look for some with a smooth response like the Seas. Other options exist, if you get stuck holler :)

Sorry, been gone for the weekend and busy.

I had never seen the double mag version of the XT25, interesting. Nice tweeter, doesn't do well super off axis though.

As for the 8" Dayton, it has a rough resonance that won't make it easy to integrate the first time around. I'd recommend something a bit more tame. The Eminence is a pro audio driver and won't have any midbass, not a good 2 way solution...or solution in general IMO. Interesting start though.

An easy to integrate 8 would be something along the lines of a CA22RNX from Seas. Spend a little time on Zaph's site reading his opinions about 8's and then look for some with a smooth response like the Seas. Other options exist, if you get stuck holler :)

It's all good, I was busy too, just happened to do a little research in the free time.

Yeah the Seas CA22RNX looks pretty appealing. Not sure about the Morel CAW 938, think I have looked at that before. Do you know anything about the Dynavox LW8004PMR? Couldn't find too many 8s on zaphs site, other than the peerless hds.

Going to do the Seas CA22RNX 8 in the doors with the Vifa XT25 in the pillars, head level on-axis to the driver seat. Going to use the Arc Audio FD 4150 bridged to the 8s and might get the Audison SRx4 and bridge that to the tweeters. Still considering amps but guess I got it figured out for the most part. So thanks everyone, j-roadtatts, and ///M5 especially. Once I get everything I will be sure to make a nice build log!

That will be a nice combo. :) Have some XT19's and CA18's myself. Both will be a good first active setup too as they will not have a lot of anomalies to deal with either.

Keep us updated with your build. I'm playing with some fr88's and tangband 3" bamboo's at the moment and would like see (cough, cough,...build log) and hear your thoughts on these speakers (setup) regarding imaging and clarity.

Thanks and good luck.

Going to do the Seas CA22RNX 8 in the doors with the Vifa XT25 in the pillars, head level on-axis to the driver seat. Going to use the Arc Audio FD 4150 bridged to the 8s and might get the Audison SRx4 and bridge that to the tweeters. Still considering amps but guess I got it figured out for the most part. So thanks everyone, j-roadtatts, and ///M5 especially. Once I get everything I will be sure to make a nice build log!

The least I could do is hang out and help after scoring the tip for the Aura's, I will definetly give my thoughts on them once I get em' dialed in.captain.gif

The Seas seem like a popular choose, I know if they are good enough for M5's freak ears , they should be good enough for the girls you hang out with.smile.gif

The H100 is being pretty friendly to work with, don't forget you can set the crossover's to "individual" to control each driver independently. I know it doesn't quite have the greatest EQ but with the right drivers, install, and x-over settings you should be pretty good. GOOD LUCK, and keep us posted.biggrin.gif

There are a ton of drivers good enough for my big freaky ears, but what separates the success from the rest is the install. The CA is rather easy to integrate which is why IMO it is a great suggestion for a first time active setup.