ls1pimp

My RL-p box sucked, now it's in a better home with

def the 2ft @ 34Hz...trust me ;)

I want it to hit ridioucsly hard, but i also want it to not be very boomy and still maintain a level of SQ. Is that size going to be alright? And thats freaking huge, the box is gonna have to be like 2.2 cubes, i doubt that will fit in my trunk.

mine is in a 2.0 @ 28hz, you have to get a little creative in the box design, but if you give us the info we can try to help

Car is a 1998 Trans Am, so trunk space is very very limited. These are my specs.

28" long(left to right)

12" wide(front to rear)

17" deep(bottom to top)

And like I said before, just want the ultimate LSQ box, with more focus on SPL than SQ. I also loooooooooove low low bass.

Looooooooowwwwww bass doesnt equal SPL.....just letting you know

def the 2ft @ 34Hz...trust me ;)

I want it to hit ridioucsly hard, but i also want it to not be very boomy and still maintain a level of SQ. Is that size going to be alright? And thats freaking huge, the box is gonna have to be like 2.2 cubes, i doubt that will fit in my trunk.

mine is in a 2.0 @ 28hz, you have to get a little creative in the box design, but if you give us the info we can try to help

Car is a 1998 Trans Am, so trunk space is very very limited. These are my specs.

28" long(left to right)

12" wide(front to rear)

17" deep(bottom to top)

And like I said before, just want the ultimate SQL box, with more focus on SPL than SQ. I also loooooooooove low low bass.

2.49 NET

Weird mike - That'd be the first TC-9 that i've ever heard of that would reach the back plate...unless they pulled a eduh and wound the coil too long for its own good...most of all of them that i've fooled with the cone would slap the spider landing or the spiders would slap the top plate....

Weird mike - That'd be the first TC-9 that i've ever heard of that would reach the back plate...unless they pulled a eduh and wound the coil too long for its own good...most of all of them that i've fooled with the cone would slap the spider landing or the spiders would slap the top plate....

Well, i tried polyfilling the box today, made it louder but it still bottoms out when i crank it up. Even lowered the gain and same thing. Is gettinga ported box gonna make it stop bottoming out? If the thing still bottoms out when I change the box, this sub is gonna be gone. :lame:

The driver would be bottoming out if you have too much power on it. You really need to keep your amplifier gain setting lower. If the driver doesn't get loud enough for you, simply turning up the gain until it does is a very bad way to go about things. A ported setup should theoretically offer twice the loudness that you are currently experiencing, but it will still put out a nasty response if you keep your amplifier gain setting too high.

NDMstang - you are correct that the suspension will limit the travel of the cone in most cases.. but when disproportionately large bursts of power are fed through the driver, the damn thing just doesn't have a chance and will stretch all the way (I've seen it, though only once when I accidentally switched the wrong buttons on an 2500 watt amp/oscillator combo, which I believe caused one of the internal cap's to unload freely as output producing a very loud CLANK from the driver ;) ). Under normal circumstances, the RL-p's will bottom out fairly gracefully - though one will still hear some rubbing when driving them with too much power, even if they don't hit the back plate directly.

Well, i tried polyfilling the box today, made it louder but it still bottoms out when i crank it up. Even lowered the gain and same thing. Is gettinga ported box gonna make it stop bottoming out? If the thing still bottoms out when I change the box, this sub is gonna be gone. :lame:

We told you what to so, so quit lallygagging and do it already...sheesh

The driver would be bottoming out if you have too much power on it.  You really need to keep your amplifier gain setting lower.  If the driver doesn't get loud enough for you, simply turning up the gain until it does is a very bad way to go about things.  A ported setup should theoretically offer twice the loudness that you are currently experiencing, but it will still put out a nasty response if you keep your amplifier gain setting too high.

NDMstang - you are correct that the suspension will limit the travel of the cone in most cases.. but when disproportionately large bursts of power are fed through the driver, the damn thing just doesn't have a chance and will stretch all the way (I've seen it, though only once when I accidentally switched the wrong buttons on an 2500 watt amp/oscillator combo, which I believe caused one of the internal cap's to unload freely as output producing a very loud CLANK from the driver ;) ).  Under normal circumstances, the RL-p's will bottom out fairly gracefully - though one will still hear some rubbing when driving them with too much power, even if they don't hit the back plate directly.

Well,Im getting a new box regardless, but what should i do if it continues to bottom out even with the ported box? I have the gain very low right now, so low that i need to turn my HU to near max volume in order to hear bass that is loud enough, yet it still bottoms out.

Mike, what i don't understand is, when a sub bottoms out that means the enclosure is too big. Wouldn't it be bottoming out even more when i change to the bigger ported box? I can't set my gain any lower, my HU volume is almost at complete maximum right now.

> what should i do if it continues to bottom out even with the ported box?

Well, if you are certain that your amplifier is functioning properly, your gain is set correctly, and you are convinced that your driver is not operating correctly.. there isn't much left for you to do but either accept the driver cannot meet your needs, or if you truly believe that something in the driver is defective, send it in for a recone. Unfortunately, our warranty is non-transferrable but if you would like a recone, I will help you out a bit.

I can't set my gain any lower, my HU volume is almost at complete maximum right now.

I don't understand how the hell you are even listening to your system with your HU cranked so high. That sh!t would deafen me, even with crappy speakers! :P Is your trunk built exceptionally strong or something? I honestly am at a loss to explain your problem. The only thing that I can guess is that you either had too high of an expectation, or there is an equipment failure somewhere in your system.

Or he doesnt have a clue what he is doing ;)

I can't set my gain any lower, my HU volume is almost at complete maximum right now.

I don't understand how the hell you are even listening to your system with your HU cranked so high. That sh!t would deafen me, even with crappy speakers! :P Is your trunk built exceptionally strong or something? I honestly am at a loss to explain your problem. The only thing that I can guess is that you either had too high of an expectation, or there is an equipment failure somewhere in your system.

well i lowered the speaker amp gain to match the sub amp, so even at max the speakers aren't very loud. Im just as confused as you are. The sub sounds good, and it makes sense that to sound better it needs a bigger box, but the fact that it bottoms out is just confusing me to all extents.

Im also not convinced the Amp is fine, the voltage output seems correct, and it runs fine. There is the chance that something is screwy with it, but i have no clue, and i don't really know how to find out.

You clip the HU... and the signal to the amp will be clipped, and the output to the sub will be too.

Putting things to their maximum is always bad news.

No kidding

Just about all H/U's clip at full volume.

If you need to turn it up that loud you have serious hearing problems

No kidding

Just about all H/U clip at full volume.

I have not seen one that does not.

i thought Eclipse made some a couple years ago that didnt?

No kidding

Just about all H/U clip at full volume.

I have not seen one that does not.

i thought Eclipse made some a couple years ago that didnt?

So then what is the problem? Something in my setup sucks. either the amp or the sub. Either the amps not putting out anywhere close to what its supposed to, the sub can't handle nor produce anything close to that power, or both or maybe neither.

I had a Magnum D2 in a less than 1 Cu Ft. enclosure in my 94 Camaro off of less than 250 watts, and it got decently loud. All I can say is, it shouldn't be hard to produce any kind of sub-bass in your trans am. Its a hatch car for goodness sake, you have all the gain you could want. Build a ~2cuft enclosure, ported to around 30hz, and turn the gain DOWN.

As Mike said, you shouldn't need your volume up all the way to listen to music. If the new enclosure doesn't help you out, sell the sub, put a new one in, I bet the sub isn't the problem.

I had a Magnum D2 in a less than 1 Cu Ft. enclosure in my 94 Camaro off of less than 250 watts, and it got decently loud. All I can say is, it shouldn't be hard to produce any kind of sub-bass in your trans am. Its a hatch car for goodness sake, you have all the gain you could want. Build a ~2cuft enclosure, ported to around 30hz, and turn the gain DOWN.

As Mike said, you shouldn't need your volume up all the way to listen to music. If the new enclosure doesn't help you out, sell the sub, put a new one in, I bet the sub isn't the problem.

Don't get me wrong, it does get very very loud, just not crazy insane loud like i thought it would.

YOU ARE USING A SEALED BOX, MAXING OUT YOUR DECK, AND USING YOUR GAIN AS A VOLUME KNOB.

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

Let's review what these last 5 pages have been about..

1. Build a PORTED BOX

2. FIX YOUR WIRING

3. Buy a DMM, and set those gains right

4. Turn down that HU into something a little more reasonable (NEVER do you need to turn a deck up past 3/4 of maximum volume).

5. Read and listen, 5 pages of repetition is gets very tiresome.

:closed: