stevemead08

IAK needs an "IHOP"

Do you have a dedicated ground for the HU? I've found that almost all factory grounds in the wiring harness are worthless. Therefore I usually use a 12AWG wire and run a ground from the chassis down to a real good point to make sure the HU is well grounded due to past noise issues like this. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you already did this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

UPDATE! I took out the 1/0 runs of power and ground today along with the amps. With the help of a buddy we also replaced the stock battery with the Deka Intimidator 9A31 and left the big 3. I'm running all my speakers off of HU power with zero noise issues at the moment :D We'll see if the problem reoccurs when we run 4 new 1/0 (2 power & 2 ground)runs.

Hope everyone is doin fine it's been pretty quite around here. Chiacagofan what resin did mike use on your back hatch? I'm looking for pointers for deadning the rear right the first time. Thanks

I'm not sure but I'll ask and have him send you any info I can :) I just moved and don't have internet right now except for my phone (FTL!) so sorry for how long it took to respond back bro.

Okay guys, I FINALLY got the mechanical problems with the van repaired, $800 later that is. I'd love to take that $$ out the the guys ass who caused it.:fing23::fryingpan::snipersmilie:

Anyway, the enclosure for the Q's finally has some color on it, it should be finished before the weekend. The only problem I'm having is figuring out how to still have access to the 2nd battery behind the amp rack, but I'll have that figured out easily enough. Looks like it could finally be complete in the next couple of weeks. FINALLY!!!!!

Was it your wife?

LOL.... no... she got run off the road by some asshole in a white blazer. He was parked in the middle of the road on the backside of a hill, when she came over it she put the van in the field to keep from hitting the truck. When he saw her hit the field he took off like a flash leaving some nice black marks in the process. Anyway, it didn't hurt the van all that bad but it screwed the shocks and struts to hell and bent the drivers side tie rod. Didn't catch the guy and the insurance wouldn't pay for any of the repairs so I got stuck with the bill which is why it's taken so long to do anything with it.

Got the port & inside of enclosure painting completed yesterday. Now to tape off all the openings and paint the outside of the box. Can't wait to see it finished and in the sunlight, :).

The list to completion:

1. Take van to have front end aligned.

2. Build amp rack, with some way to access the 2nd battery.

3. Carpet amp rack

4. Install new Knu RCA's, upgrade the current cheap 4AWG for the 4 channel to Knu 4awg.

5. Reroute speaker wires to new amp location.

6. Install amp rack & amplifier's.

7. Finish painting enclosure

8. Apply Fi logo to plexi window on enclosure.

9. Install and wire subs into enclosure

10. Install everything, test and tune. :D:drink40::fing34::woot:

Testing and tuning seems to be what we're all doing. Except in my place it seems like guess work. I wish I had some one around locally knowledgeable. The more I learn the more I realize I need to study. I have 5 more designs to complete searching for 3 more db. They are as follows:

changeable port box

4.27 tuned to 47 hz

4.3 tuned to 43

4.4 tuned to 35

4.6 tuned to 33

Aero designs

Daily 3 4" aeros tuned to 35

3 4" aeros tuned to 43

Daily 2 6" aeros tuned to 38

While the existing pwk enclosure gained 9 db over the sa 8's it caused the peak to rise anywhere from 56 to 63 hertz. Prior to this my peak was 54. After I finish the exchangeable port one I will do a full car peak again and load it into excel and do some graphs of the loading.

Chicago fan is working on getting me some info on doing the best possible job of deadening for the rear hatch I can. If any other team members or close friends shizon would like to share some IAK please don't hold back.

Oh and I'm looking for any info I can on a step up transformer so I can run 16 v at 100 amp. Inquires about which one I found can be had via pm. My reasoning is by investing in the transformer I would be almost doubling output prior to doubling amps. If my thinking is screwy let me know. My goal is to get 146 from the 1 15" and then doubling power to end up close to 150 which is my long range projection.

Ok, I'm still using my phone for internet so sorry for taking this long. I spoke to my buddy and he used my CLD tiles on the metal and fiberglass resin on the plastic to give some mass

Well, I put my factory wheels back on today and took off the 22's in preperation to sell/trade them :( I've worked out a deal with a buddy to start working on my next setup over the coming few months. Up to this point I've sold my SA8's and enclosure, the old Knukonceptz 0/1 wiring, selling the 22's, and most likely the SAZ-1500D....LOL! Stay tuned hopfully for a build log ; ) The current plan is 4SA12's off a SAZ-2500D, 220amp alt, 2 runs of positive and negative 0/1 welding wire, and custom amp rack/enclosure.

just to let everyone in iak know im BACKbut the 12 is still down 120 for a recone :bsflag::joshers3:

Making more progress. Got the board for the amp rack cut and the amp placement figured out. Onward to beauty panels, running the new KNU RCA's, mounting and wiring.

Quick question, anyone here have good experience with pain on MDF. I've put approx. 8 coats of paint on the box and it's STILL soaking in, heavy coats at that. Think it would be okay to put a coat of clear on then paint over that?

Making more progress. Got the board for the amp rack cut and the amp placement figured out. Onward to beauty panels, running the new KNU RCA's, mounting and wiring.

Quick question, anyone here have good experience with pain on MDF. I've put approx. 8 coats of paint on the box and it's STILL soaking in, heavy coats at that. Think it would be okay to put a coat of clear on then paint over that?

NOOOOO! On the clear before you paint!

Paint doesn't like to stick to slick, glossy surfaces to well.

I gotta ask first, did you use a good primer before the paint?

If not....then you're like a dog chasing his tail.

Good prep work (sanding), a few good coats of primer, some more sanding, and you can pretty much use any kind of paint you want, even on cut edges.

Good prep work (sanding), a few good coats of primer, some more sanding, and you can pretty much use any kind of paint you want, even on cut edges.

Yep, used primer before painting. Six coats of primer to be precise, with sanding, before, during and after each coat. Before the paint the primer had a better finish than the paint does right now. I talked to my body and paint guru today and he said it could very well be the high humidity causing me the problems. So now I'm not sure what to do. I don't know anyone with a climate controlled paint booth to use for a bit so I'm stuck now. If I did lay down a coat of clear to attempt to seal the box better I would sand and rough it like any slick surface before painting over it. I know that it doesn't stick to slick glossy surfaces.

I'm looking up more information on how humidity affects the paint. If it indeed looks to be the root of my problem I'll most likely HAVE to sand the color off and start it over again.

I use kills primer and it works fine for me/

Yep, used primer before painting. Six coats of primer to be precise, with sanding, before, during and after each coat. Before the paint the primer had a better finish than the paint does right now. I talked to my body and paint guru today and he said it could very well be the high humidity causing me the problems. So now I'm not sure what to do. I don't know anyone with a climate controlled paint booth to use for a bit so I'm stuck now. If I did lay down a coat of clear to attempt to seal the box better I would sand and rough it like any slick surface before painting over it. I know that it doesn't stick to slick glossy surfaces.

I'm looking up more information on how humidity affects the paint. If it indeed looks to be the root of my problem I'll most likely HAVE to sand the color off and start it over again.

Maybe add paint reducer/excelerator to speed the drying.

Got the port & inside of enclosure painting completed yesterday. Now to tape off all the openings and paint the outside of the box. Can't wait to see it finished and in the sunlight, :).

The list to completion:

1. Take van to have front end aligned.

2. Build amp rack, with some way to access the 2nd battery.

3. Carpet amp rack

4. Install new Knu RCA's, upgrade the current cheap 4AWG for the 4 channel to Knu 4awg.

5. Reroute speaker wires to new amp location.

6. Install amp rack & amplifier's.

7. Finish painting enclosure

8. Apply Fi logo to plexi window on enclosure.

9. Install and wire subs into enclosure

10. Install everything, test and tune. :D:drink40::fing34::woot:

It feels great to finally be getting things done. So far this weekend #2, #4, #5 and #7 are complete. The box has seen all the paint and clear it's going to get. Speaker wire moving has been done. The Knukonceptz RCA's are in and they are REALLY nice. Triple shielding FTW! The amp rack is cut, built with the beauty panels, holes and channels for the wire is done.

So after 3 1/2 months of doing odd labor jobs to keep the bills paid, i was starting to think all this hard work building my company was for the lose. Today i got in touch with a VIP for a large locker maker and he has given me some nice contracts. this is huge for me and the family. realisticly i could do 2-3 large projects in a few months and live very comfortable the rest of the year. i dont want to jinx it so i will stop talking about it. Needless to say i am very exited!!!!!! :peepwall:

So after 3 1/2 months of doing odd labor jobs to keep the bills paid, i was starting to think all this hard work building my company was for the lose. Today i got in touch with a VIP for a large locker maker and he has given me some nice contracts. this is huge for me and the family. realisticly i could do 2-3 large projects in a few months and live very comfortable the rest of the year. i dont want to jinx it so i will stop talking about it. Needless to say i am very exited!!!!!! :peepwall:

Good luck Steve, great news bro!!! :drink40:

Great news bro, congrats!!

Thanks guys. i hope i can make something real good out of it!!!

I know where pork is coming from running the pap's. One recone for me and then I think I'm on to DC audio. I've got a good chance in taking 1st place for MECA AS1 for state finals.

Under the points standing for the US

144.4 is the highest.

I'm at 143.9 currently.

There is a comp Sept 11 2x.

NEXT plans.

1st. After speaking with DC it seems I can get team level 4xl's.

2nd Around Christmas time new alt.

3rd I'm researching a new amp.

Up for the running are:

Sundown SA 4500

Sound digital either SD5kd or SD8kd

Stetsom 5k2

Sounds like a great plan to me! I'm pretty much a Sundown freak at this point, so I vote for the 4500!!!