CrazyKenKid

birch ply box

Do you use?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use birch ply?

So I was searching this forum and others and I found this stuff called BIRCH PLY. my thoughts are it looks sexy and cost more than mdf. but my question is how does it compare to mdf? does 3/4 mdf= ½ birch ply or 5/8 if ½ is to small? are there any downsides to using this type of wood?

also can someone confirm if birch ply is 1/2 the weight of mdf? (say 3/4 mdf vs. 3/4 birch ply = 1/2 the lb's)

I am considering using this type of wood for my box rather than MDF b/c my next setup will be a heavy one and eliminating weight will be good in my part or I will HAVE to buy a luggage kit for my car which is ~300$

my next setup will be:

2-saz2000 = 40lb~

2-NS 15inch v1 subs = 120lb~

2-nsb90s= 166lbs

total lb= ~326lb

PLUS the BOX

thanks guys!

here is a pic for references of a birch ply box used for a pair 12inch dc lv4...subs

i posted this pic just for reference as birch ply is a distinctive look but maybe ppl don't' call it that maybe it has another name.

untitled-15.jpg

hey guys I just found some of the answers I was looking for, a friend of mine provided me with this site!

Talk Audio - Birch ply vs. MDF for sub woofer enclosures

but i still need to knwo about the weight and i woudl LOVE to hear someone who used it first hand!!

also in that link note near the end about doubleing up the baffles!!!

I'm using this right now. It's better in every single way. Absolutely, 100%.

It does weight less, but I'm not sure how much. It's much easier to cut for you and your tools. There is no NASTY MDF dust flying around.

It's just better in every single way. I used to buy the MDF because of the price difference, but in my opinion the price is worth it.

Definitely buying Birch Plywood for my next enclosure Im designing, now I just gotta find something to do with these scrap pieces of MDF I have laying around.

Trupan Light FTW :)

It's lighter, yeah. I'd say for a 3/4" piece of each, the birch probably weighs 3/4 as much as of a piece of MDF.

If you're THAT concerned about saving weight, I see a couple areas where you could save tons of weight. That is, not using 596024389423984oz magnets with "bragging rights" power.

If you want to use 120lbs worth of subs, saving 20-30lbs on the box ain't much in the grander scheme of things. And what are "nsb90s" and why do they weigh 160lbs? Running 2 normal 15s would save sooooo much weight...even heavy JBL GTi15s weigh like 35lbs each and can't bottom out due to their design.

Go to the HDizzle or whatever store is in Canadia and lift a couple ready panels side by side. The 2x4' pieces are easier to lift at once versus 4x8' sheets :lol:

birch weighs less and is more dense than MDF. meaning it would be stronger build a box out off than MDF.

i hav built-in box for years now for car and outdoor system all out of birch an its much lighter an easyer to work. need no clamp and dont hav to wait for glue to dry just need glue an some 1-3/4 screw and u good....

5x the price is the only downside.

Make sure you get VOID free. It is lighter and as strong. You still should use 3/4"

It's lighter, yeah. I'd say for a 3/4" piece of each, the birch probably weighs 3/4 as much as of a piece of MDF.

If you're THAT concerned about saving weight, I see a couple areas where you could save tons of weight. That is, not using 596024389423984oz magnets with "bragging rights" power.

If you want to use 120lbs worth of subs, saving 20-30lbs on the box ain't much in the grander scheme of things. And what are "nsb90s" and why do they weigh 160lbs? Running 2 normal 15s would save sooooo much weight...even heavy JBL GTi15s weigh like 35lbs each and can't bottom out due to their design.

Go to the HDizzle or whatever store is in Canadia and lift a couple ready panels side by side. The 2x4' pieces are easier to lift at once versus 4x8' sheets :lol:

They are the brand of batteries he is using.

umm i c thanks guys for you inputs and thanks guys for all your replys

ya i guesss with a stupid loud setup i shouldnt' be overly worried about weight.

but i think i am ready to use some birch ply for my next build and ryanS here is a link to my batteries

http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/NSB90.pdf

o well looks like I will end up investing in a supion kit lol!

and thanks M5 i will look for the VIOD free stuff! as for price i not overly worried about price as everything is alreayd paided for expect the box and what not. and it looks like i will not be doing my plexy glass front baffle any more lol hell that sheet alone is 130$ lol!

Make sure you get VOID free. It is lighter and as strong. You still should use 3/4"

I think that all depends where you buy it. Here it's about $27 for a sheet of MDF vs $60 or so for a sheet of nice ply. Big difference, but in my opinion completely worth it.

I think that all depends where you buy it. Here it's about $27 for a sheet of MDF vs $60 or so for a sheet of nice ply. Big difference, but in my opinion completely worth it.

x2, its not like MDF was that much to begin with. I wouldnt mind the upgrade in price compared to how much most companies charge for boxes nowadays it is still a steal.

They are the brand of batteries he is using.

80lb apiece batteries? Can't imagine how slow my car would be with all that weight in the back :peepwall:

x2, its not like MDF was that much to begin with. I wouldnt mind the upgrade in price compared to how much most companies charge for boxes nowadays it is still a steal.

Or do like I'm doing...planning on using 2 1/2" birch ready panels for my IB baffle and a ready panel of 1/4" for the floor. Still $45 or so but strong and light :drink40:

i guess it is a good thing my car isnt' a racecar lol!!

and when are you starting your build log? (or did you do it already if so link it up)

Who me? Haven't started building yet :peepwall:

Need a few more things yet. Going to start on the floor maybe this week. Got all the hard parts I need except stuff like wood, screws, etc. Oh and subs :ehh:

lol what subs you planning on running? and make sure to take tons of pics nad post that up on this forum!!

Came here to research the DCon, then went a bunch of directions in my head...decided on IB with a pair the cheap Infinity 1252w 12s, which are identical to JBL GTOs. Only the Infinity's are $50 each, while the JBLs are ~$80 each. More output than a single 10, less box, less distortion :peepwall: Gave myself $100 sub budget and I'm sticking to it. Well...close to $100.

umm a budget setup!! those are always tricky! have you looking into some daimond audio or used stuff? (sorry uesd or bnib used i hope)

lol...without sidetracking the thread too far...I spent more on mids than anything ;) All DIY stuff, sales/deals...got my amps for about a quarter or a third of their "street" value...

No single thing (or pair of speakers) over $150 :drink40: I still could have done it MUCH cheaper, but everything I have I want. The subs are meh looking and the sub amp is old and not in an "old school cool" way...but they'll all be hidden for the most part. The other 2 amps are the stars of this show :lol:

sounds promissing lol! hurry up on your build log lol