outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

I got started on my boys Caddy this week.

The goals:

1. Build a very solid daily system to pump the sounds while riding.

2. Take up as little trunk space as possible. (Need space for hydraulic set up)

3. Make it a clean install worthy of popping the trunk for.

4. Put some JL system to shame while spending a fraction of the cash.

The gear:

Kenwood head unit.

Infinity 6.5 components, 2 sets

12" Fi IB3 subs, trying to fit 4 but may end up with 3.

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown SAZ-2000D

Lots of 1/0 cable

Undecided yet on electrical system.

more to come...

Here is the ride.

78729327.jpg

Started doing the front doors.

Picture295.jpg

Picture296.jpg

I stripped the carpet off and used the press board as a template for my MDF

Picture297.jpg

Picture298.jpg

Flush mounted the tweeters in the arm rest as high and far foreward as possible

Picture301.jpg

Doing a test fit. I need to try to find some carpet to cover the MDF. I think I'm going to paint the grilles for the speakers also. The silver clashes with the interior.

Picture304.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Got the other door done and moved on to the subs. The subs are designed for infinite baffle use so no box needed. I do however have to seal and brace the rear deck and seat back really well.

I made the new rear deck piece to start with, and sorted out where the subs will sit.

Picture306.jpg

Then I made a trim piece to flush the subs into.

Picture307.jpg

I made a circle jig for my router. This thing is a life saver. First time ever that I've cut speaker openings correctly the first time. It also cost almost nothing to make which is a plus.

Picture310.jpg

Picture313.jpg

Picture314.jpg

Test fit the trim piece. I still need to router the edges and do a little sanding to get the shape I want.

Picture315.jpg

Figured I'd get a couple pics of the sub.

Picture317.jpg

Picture319.jpg

Look like a good build.

Nice start! :popcorn:

Look like a good build.

:popcorn: WOW !! very nice ...

Thanks.

Looking good, how'd you get that MDF to stay on the door?

I just used some screws from the back side for now. I'll do something more sturdy after remove them to paint or carpet them. Just wanted to get them test fit.

I just used some screws from the back side for now. I'll do something more sturdy after remove them to paint or carpet them. Just wanted to get them test fit.

How are you planning on doing it permanently?

Edited by BanginGMC

How are you planning on doing it permanently?

Undecided still. May counter sink a bolt into the MDF the use another piece of MDF on the back side of the door with a washer and lock nut to sandwich it all together.

Got a little more done today.

Test fit.

Picture320.jpg

Picture321.jpg

Made the baffle board for the 4th sub and put it in my hillbilly press for the glue to set.

Picture323.jpg

Notched out the top baffle to let the 4th sub breath a little better. I'll remove a little foam from the seat back and cut the arm rest backing out also.

Picture322.jpg

It will go together something like this.

Picture325.jpg

Picture324.jpg

Chop it up. Making room for everything. I'm not looking forward to dealing with this mess.

Picture327.jpg

Picture329.jpg

Coming along really nicely, have any tips for me for on doing my doors like yrs?

I hope you plan on reinforcing the rear deck since you removed structural material.

Coming along really nicely, have any tips for me for on doing my doors like yrs?

Well speaker selection will be the biggest thing. 5 1/4" would be easier to do and the shallower the speaker the easier it will be to fit. These 6 1/2" are shallow mount so I only had to use the 3/4" MDF to get enough clearance for the magnet.

I hope you plan on reinforcing the rear deck since you removed structural material.

Well by the time I'm done doing all the MDF work it will be stronger than the flimsy sheetmetal that was there. I haven't removed any structural boxed sections. I also do welding and fabrication so if I feel it's needed I go add some steel later.

lookin' good. :fing34:

Thanks.

Making progress.

Glued and screwed the front baffle on and added some bracing. I plan on doing more bracing still.

Picture335.jpg

Picture334.jpg

Test fitting with subs. 4th sub was set in place to check for clearance on the middle sub, it was close but cleared.

Picture333.jpg

Picture331.jpg

It's going to be real close on cylinder clearance for the hydraulics. I may change the top baffle to angle the subs forward for more clearance.

Picture332.jpg

Is this all the wood you are going to be using?

No. I have more bracing to do on the baffle board. I will also be making pieces to fill the openings to each side of the center section. I plan on sealing the trunk off completely from the cabin. I'll be using 2 part expanding foam and some GreatStuff canned expanding foam to fill all voids.

Got a little more done.

Added the pieces needed to box off the front of the middle sub and did the filler pieces on the corners.

Picture336.jpg

I'm going to hand sande the radius a little more but it's close. I want to try to keep away from any hard corners or edges for a more finished look.

Picture338.jpg

The bottom now rests on the trunk floor to help support the weight. I will be bolting it down to the trunk on the doubled layered section up front.

Picture339.jpg

WOW! :popcorn: Beautiful craftmanship and props on having the balls to do something different. Really like the idea of IB setups. I hear they hit the lows like crazy. Nice workman.

Woohoo I always love a Caddy build!

You do some excellent work, your attention to detail is superb man keep it up :fing34:

looking good!

Keep posting those pics.

Don't worry the pics will keep coming until it's finished.

looks great!

Thanks.

WOW! :popcorn: Beautiful craftmanship and props on having the balls to do something different. Really like the idea of IB setups. I hear they hit the lows like crazy. Nice workman.

I always like to do things differently and I'm not afraid to cut the hell out of any car. The IB was the only option I had so I'm going for broke with it.

Woohoo I always love a Caddy build!

You do some excellent work, your attention to detail is superb man keep it up :fing34:

It's all in the details. I'm no where near as good as a lot of people but I just keep working at it until I'm satisfied.

Nice looking build. What are you going to do paint or cover in carpet or vinyl?

Nice looking build. What are you going to do paint or cover in carpet or vinyl?

Undecided. If I could get a good color match I was going to do carpet, but I've been thinking about going a different route.

I added another brace to stiffen it up some more.

Picture342.jpg

Made a little notch where it was close to the speaker opening to allow a T nut to fit in still.

Picture341.jpg