outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

nice job with the suede, i would have had creases everywhere.

I was amazed when I finished it without any wrinkles. I just took my time and it all came together.

Shit looks nice man.

You have some serious fabrication skills. :drink40: I cant wait to see the finished product.

thank you for sharing this build with us.

Nice wrap job man... something I haven't quite mastered yet :)

Nice job man!! Got it really smooth on the corners!!!

Shit looks nice man.

You have some serious fabrication skills. :drink40: I cant wait to see the finished product.

thank you for sharing this build with us.

I like to post my work for others to enjoy. I feel like I still have a ton to master and being able to see how others do it gives me insite. Thats why I post lots of pics and give details to help do the same for the next guy.

I got started on spraying the back and decided to do the center of the front in case the suede doesn't work out going around all the curves and corners.

I'm starting with undercoating to give it a textured finish and to hide the sand scratches. I'll be spraying a coat of semi-gloss black over it for a better finish.

Picture382.jpg

None of the bare ares will show once installed.

Picture380.jpg

:phatyo: I had to rate this topic with 5 stars, with every post it gets better and better. Keep up the great work man.

Wow, this is really starting to look excellent!

Scratch that, it was ALREADY looking excellent: this is starting to look abso-f***-a-lutelymazing!

very nice, i would love to hear the IB3 setup.

:phatyo: I had to rate this topic with 5 stars, with every post it gets better and better. Keep up the great work man.

Thanks for the rating. I didn't know what the stars were about, now I do.

Wow, this is really starting to look excellent!

Scratch that, it was ALREADY looking excellent: this is starting to look abso-f***-a-lutelymazing!

I know what you mean. It looked good even with it just being bare MDF, then I wrapped the bezel and I really felt like it was coming together.

very nice, i would love to hear the IB3 setup.

I'll be doing a full report on the performance of everything when I get it up and running. The car had 4 10" Kicker comps in a sealed box before running off 900 watts so I have something to compare the IB3's to. I'm confident they should way outperform those.

This build is proof that taking your time is the way to go. Great job on everything.

Glad you all are enjoying the build.

I managed to get a couple coats of semi gloss black over the undercoating today. I'm pretty happy with the texture, it saved me a lot of sanding for sure.

Picture383.jpg

Picture384.jpg

I'll give this a couple days to fully cure before attempting to wrap it.

That does look really good actually, and its nice to see you did the trunk side too. Its the little details that really make a build like this come together.

Man I need to get a MIG welder, my flux core welds looks like shit. Good to see you keeping the ride safe.trink40.gif

That does look really good actually, and its nice to see you did the trunk side too. Its the little details that really make a build like this come together.

It's really important to me that I make the entire install look top notch. My boy and I have wanted to do a system that looks and sounds good for way to long. We've always managed to get something "temporary" that sounds good but always looked like hell. I'm tight on time but I'm trying to make sure it gets done proper.

Man I need to get a MIG welder, my flux core welds looks like shit. Good to see you keeping the ride safe.trink40.gif

Mig w/gas is the only way to go. I do a lot of welding and fab work and couldn't do what I do without a proper machine. I'm also an overkill kind of guy so yes safety is a must.

I too build everything HD, and love to ovekill things. I got the biggest welder Lincoln had that was 110 volt. I can get the gas attactment for the Lincoln, but think I will waste that money on a 220 welder with gas instead. the Lincoln is easy to carry around and tack things with though. My step-dad has a miller 255 with gas I use for anything important or that I need to look good for now.trink40.gif

Keep up the GREAT work my Brother.smile.gif

I like that texture too.

This is looking great. Cant wait to see it finished up.

I too build everything HD, and love to ovekill things. I got the biggest welder Lincoln had that was 110 volt. I can get the gas attactment for the Lincoln, but think I will waste that money on a 220 welder with gas instead. the Lincoln is easy to carry around and tack things with though. My step-dad has a miller 255 with gas I use for anything important or that I need to look good for now.trink40.gif

Keep up the GREAT work my Brother.smile.gif

110v w/gas are nice for doing sheetmetal but thats about all I use them for. I recently upgraded from a Miller DVI unit that would run on 110v or 220v to a 220v Miller 252. The old DVI unit worked great up to 3/16" but the 252 blows it away for doing thicker material.

I have a shitty Harbor Freight welder, with a flux core wire!! And the damn thing leaves more splatter than it does weld!!! It hate using it! But it only cost 60 bucks so i was happy with it!

soooo good. i do believe you exceeded your goals, by far

I have a shitty Harbor Freight welder, with a flux core wire!! And the damn thing leaves more splatter than it does weld!!! It hate using it! But it only cost 60 bucks so i was happy with it!

Step up to a machine that uses gas and you'll be in love. I put off buying a good mig machine for years, due to cost. Once I finally did it I was pissed at myself for using my old arc machine for so long.

soooo good. i do believe you exceeded your goals, by far

I think you may be right. Time will tell.

It will be a bit though. I'm working on multiple projects and had to get back on another one to finish it up.

Well I had a couple of hours to spare today so I wrapped the baffle board and installed it. I still need to seal it up with foam but it's at least in the car now.

All the holes are for the subs bolts and trim piece bolts. They get covered by the trim.

Picture389.jpg

Picture395.jpg

I still need to attach and paint the side trim pieces.

Picture398.jpg

By the way if anyone was considering using the undercoat method I did, DON'T!

The dam undercoating doesn't stick for shit to the wood and I had some peel off on me when I taped the painted section off to keep the spray glue off it. I touched it up but I was super pissed off about it. Oh well live and learn.

I dig the purple micro suede. As a matter of fact it the same color and material as my sofas in the living room. Bummer about the texture not sticking to the MDF. Sometimes you have to scuff up the MDF to get any coating to stick to it because it so smooth. No biggie, it's coming out nice.

This build is amazing! The attention to detail is top notch! trink40.gif

May want to look to Herculiner when going for the textured look as that stuff works great on wood.