outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

Sorry to hear about that bat, had one a few years ago blow close to me and the noise is enough to make you go check your pants!

Great work on the frame!! can really see it taking shape and tough/strong is not a question anymore...

Thanks.

It was loud thats for sure.

WOW!

trink40.gif

Holy Hell man you have some serious skills.

Great Job!

:drink40:

Thanks guys.

way to avoid the crack about messy pants. looks like this little mishap scared you more than you'll admit

:ehh:

i like this build.

way to avoid the crack about messy pants. looks like this little mishap scared you more than you'll admit

:ehh:

i like this build.

It surpised me a bit but I had a hat and hoodie on so the sound was muffled a bit. It would have been way worse if it was summer time and I was working in a T shirt.

Got the other inside plated.

frame5102.jpg

Started plating the top rail.

frame5105.jpg

All the plates meet edge to edge to create an outside corner. The goal is to leave no gap or as little gap as possible. This gives the best weld for polishing down to a rounded edge without grinding all the weld away.

frame5103.jpg

Just stitched welded for now until I get the rest of the plates done.

frame5106.jpg

Finished the other side top plate.

frame5112.jpg

I didn't point out that all the body mounts opeingns are being cut to allow the bushing to sit on the reinforcing plates to prevent them from sagging in over time.

frame5113.jpg

I added the plate to tie the rear arch plates together for a cleaner look. I still need to finish shaping it though.

frame5115.jpg

Got the bottom edge trimmed up and tacked in place.

frame5121.jpg

frame5122.jpg

Also trimmed all the lower edge of the arches down and blended them into the rear bar.

frame5116.jpg

frame5117.jpg

frame5118.jpg

You can see in this pic that I've left the plates over sized towards the rear. That will be the new shape of the frame since I don't like the shape of the factory tail section.

frame5131.jpg

The factory shape of the middle of the arch pinches in at the bottom. I'll be reshaping that area also. The new plate is close to the new shape in this pic and will give me a much stronger and cleaner arch section when finished.

frame5130.jpg

I was on a roll so I just moved on to the front frame horns and trimmed those down also.

frame5127.jpg

frame5129.jpg

Welded a washer and nut to the frame to make a captive fastener that can be plated over.

frame5134.jpg

Also made some over sized reinforment washers to prevent the frame from cracking.

frame5133.jpg

frame5135.jpg

frame5137.jpg

Made a mid plate for the crossmember using 1/4" plate.. It slides through the bottom and out the top creating an I beam of sorts. It will be welded on both sides and the reinforcment plates will get plug welded to it also for maximum strength.

frame5138.jpg

frame5140.jpg

Decided I didn't like how this section was looking so out came the cut off wheel.

frame5146.jpg

Then I made up some new mount flanges out of 1/4" plate and made a 1/2" thick slug to give the bolt opening more surface area so the hole won't oval out.

frame5147.jpg

It is welded to the top of the crossmember now to eliminate the void behind it like the factory mount has. This also allowed me to tie into the "I" beam plate. I should also be able to tie the new mounting flange into the coil pocket sleeve now.

frame5149.jpg

frame5155.jpg

Made a new curved section out of 3/16" to replace the factory section I cut out. Also got the rear of the crossmember plated but it still needs final trimming. Notice the radiused corner where the crossmember meets the side rail, there will be very few hard corners if all goes to plan.

frame5151.jpg

frame5152.jpg

frame5156.jpg

Got the other mount done and moved onto plating the bottom.

frame5166.jpg

frame5159.jpg

frame5160.jpg

frame5176.jpg

frame5163.jpg

Here's one of the mistakes I spoke of earlier. I didn't get the corner piece lined up properly and it was not coming back off by the time I noticed. Not a big deal though. I just cut a filler piece to take up the gap and bevelled it like a but joint. This is a far better option that just filling the void with weld.

frame5158.jpg

frame5165.jpg

Also dropped the coil pocket sleeve in and welded it up.

frame5173.jpg

I was able to tie it into the midplate as well.

frame5172.jpg

A little sneal peak of how it's going to look once I get everything plated, trimmed, and polished down. It going to be super clean.

frame5168.jpg

frame5180.jpg

Dam my garage is a wreck. :(

Wondering if the overall height of the frame is shorter or if you are body dropping.

You must hate your rear window, because it's gonna get abused.

Yes it will. :woot:

man this looks amazing..perfect welds and great attention to details

Thanks. I've been welding for almost 20 years now so I've had a bit of practice.

Wondering if the overall height of the frame is shorter or if you are body dropping.

The bottom of the frame hangs down lower on the stock frame at the firewall. The mods I've done will now make the lower edge of the frame thats visible even with the rocker instead of hanging lower up front.

Decided I didn't like how this section was looking so out came the cut off wheel.

frame5146.jpg

Then I made up some new mount flanges out of 1/4" plate and made a 1/2" thick slug to give the bolt opening more surface area so the hole won't oval out.

frame5147.jpg

It is welded to the top of the crossmember now to eliminate the void behind it like the factory mount has. This also allowed me to tie into the "I" beam plate. I should also be able to tie the new mounting flange into the coil pocket sleeve now.

frame5149.jpg

frame5155.jpg

Made a new curved section out of 3/16" to replace the factory section I cut out. Also got the rear of the crossmember plated but it still needs final trimming. Notice the radiused corner where the crossmember meets the side rail, there will be very few corners if all goes to plan.

frame5151.jpg

frame5152.jpg

frame5156.jpg

Got the other mount done and moved onto plating the bottom.

frame5166.jpg

frame5159.jpg

frame5160.jpg

frame5176.jpg

frame5163.jpg

Here's one of the mistakes I spoke of earlier. I didn't get the corner piece lined up properly and it was not coming back off by the time I noticed. Not a big deal though. I just cut a filler piece to take up the gap and bevelled it like a but joint. This is a far better option that just filling the void with weld.

frame5158.jpg

frame5165.jpg

Also dropped the coil pocket sleeve in and welded it up.

frame5173.jpg

I was able to tie it into the midplate as well.

frame5172.jpg

A little sneal peak of how it's going to look once I get everything plated, trimmed, and polished down. It going to be super clean.

frame5168.jpg

frame5180.jpg

Dam my garage is a wreck.

Plated the other side and started working on the other lower control arm bracket.

Used the jig to get everything lined up and then welded it up. I still have some more to do to make them stronger and better looking.

frame5183.jpg

frame5185.jpg

frame5186.jpg

Did a little more work on the mounts today. I want to keep as much of the fasteners hidden as possible for a cleaner look.

frame5190.jpg

frame5187.jpg

frame5188.jpg

I'll be dressing up the other side of the bracket as well.

Got the other half of the mount just about finished. I need to build up some low spots with weld and do a final polish still. The head of the bolt will be counter sunk now.

frame5193.jpg

frame5194.jpg

frame5196.jpg

frame5195.jpg

frame5200.jpg

The front mount is taking shape. Everything still needs a bit of metal finishing but it's close.

frame5203.jpg

frame5204.jpg

frame5206.jpg

I had to take a break from the brackets so I went ahead with plating the under side of the frame horn before moving to the other side.

frame5213.jpg

frame5214.jpg

frame5211.jpg

frame5210.jpg

I'm real pleased with how smooth it's starting to look.

Looking killer as usual. Can't wait to see how the suspension comes out! :popcorn:

I know it's already been said bro....but KILLER work :drink40: I can't wait to see how this all comes together :popcorn:

Thanks guys. I'm changing my plans a bit for the suspension. Not going the round tube route, going to hand fab everything from plate steel.

More progress.

Other side is all tacked in place and almost finished.

frame5215.jpg

frame5219.jpg

Here is a pic of how the bolt will be flush mounted.

frame5217.jpg

Also rounded the corners off a bit more to help the bottom flow nicer into the mount pocket.

frame5220.jpg

Outhopu.......Seriously SUPER craftsmanship.......i am very impressed with you metal skillz......keep it coming bro.....that chassis is gonna look slick as hell when your done.....

Thanks guys.

I've been tied up lately but managed to get a bit done. Like I said before I'm going to use as little filler as possible so it's my goal to get all the corners nice and square to allow me to shape the steel instead.

frame5231.jpg

frame5224.jpg

frame5222.jpg

Plated the bottom of the crossmember but still need to trim the front edge after I flip it back over. Everything still needs more metal finishing but thats for a later date.

frame5226.jpg

frame5227.jpg

frame5228.jpg

Went ahead and sleeved some of the body mounts for a change of pace.

frame5247.jpg

Working on a cap/plug to keep things smooth. I may have a simple and cost effective methode figured out.

frame5245.jpg

Started getting the bottom arch plated tonight.

frame5250.jpg

Got the other arch bottom tacked on. I'll be working on the rear piece tonight to tie everything together.

frame5254.jpg

frame5261.jpg

Laid down a nice fat bead into the bevell for good penetration and to get the bead high enough to allow me to polish it down nice and flat without doing multiple passes.

frame5259.jpg

Got the back piece done tonight.

frame5266.jpg

frame5263.jpg

Just about got the rest of the bodymount openings cut out and sleeved. I'll get the last 2 tomorrow then trim and flush them all.

frame5267.jpg

frame5269.jpg

Plated the front of the crossmember but still need to trim the top edge once I flip it. I got the lower edge real close to it's final shape. I pinched the nose down a bit more to be sure it won't bottom out.

frame5276.jpg

frame5273.jpg

frame5275.jpg

Flipped the frame and finished trimming the crossmember plate.

frame5279.jpg

Then got started on the top arch plate.

frame5277.jpg

Making sure to keep it tight with minimal gaps.

frame5278.jpg

Got the other arch plated and trimmed the rear section down. Still need to cap the top of the rear cross bar.

frame5280.jpg

frame5282.jpg

frame5281.jpg

Almost done plating the rear. I have a couple small filler pieces and I'll have to get the very back piece done after I take it off the table.

frame5285.jpg

Got started on the top front again today.

One side tacked on.

frame5286.jpg

I did some plug welds to tie the plate into the donut underneath and to the crossmember where it meets the coil pocket.

frame5287.jpg

Also added the inside trim piece to clean up the looks and give it the radiused corner. Still needs a little trim work but it's close.

frame5288.jpg

frame5289.jpg

frame5290.jpg

Finished the last filler piece on the right frame horn. Don't mind the nasty paint and rust. I cleaned the weld area. The entire frame is getting blasted when I'm done with it anyways.

frame5299.jpg

Plated the other top side rail

frame5295.jpg

Then made the filler pieces.

frame5300.jpg

frame5302.jpg

I still need to do a bit more where the steering shaft recess is thats why the plates don't line up. I'll get that after plating the top of the crossmember.

so, i might have missed it but... where is the body during this?

so, i might have missed it but... where is the body during this?

This was an extra frame we picked up to build so the car it's for isn't completely torn down yet. I stripped the sounds and interior out of it but the rest of the car is still together.

love the look from the back window!!

Wow didnt reliaze what page i was on!!

Edited by sound=vibration

Just flat out excellent work. Keep it up. :)

Too cool.....this chassis is a work of art......if i ever built a hopper you would be the man i would want doing my chassis....

the more i look at this, its an amazing build so far. love the build of the frame

Thanks guys.

Full welded and polished the top of the spring pocket so I could get started on the new upper ears.

frame5303.jpg

frame5308.jpg

It's got to be nice a crisp. ;)

frame5306.jpg

Used 1/4" plate for these.

frame5310.jpg

frame5311.jpg

frame5313.jpg

Got the outer tabs done on the other side so I could pull the jig and plate the crossmember.

Picture003-2.jpg

Picture002-3.jpg

Cleaned up the edges before plating.

Picture001-3.jpg

I didn't get too far on this, should get it done tomorrow.

Picture004-3.jpg

Picture005-2.jpg