To set subsonic, download a test tone 5hz below your box's tuning, play it. Use it to determine the setting on the amp.

yeah to go off of that. turn it all the way UP then turn your volume knob to your max listening level. slowly turn your filter down until you reach the max you want your sub to move(maybe a bit less). that should do you good.

To set subsonic, download a test tone 5hz below your box's tuning, play it. Use it to determine the setting on the amp.

yeah to go off of that. turn it all the way UP then turn your volume knob to your max listening level. slowly turn your filter down until you reach the max you want your sub to move(maybe a bit less). that should do you good.

yessir

your welcome for letting you have this thread.......

I have a quick question as well regarding the SSA amplifier gain setting tutorial, I understand the process to get ur required voltage and all but what really gets me is that the "original poster" says to setup any sound processing up prior to getting the required voltage. For example +5 BASS, +3 TREB, etc. But on the external link to JL's gain setting it says to set everything FLAT or zero prior to getting ur required voltage. Which to believe? :trippy: .

The way Im thinking is that U would go about it is JL's way, then setup the bass and treble etc after. Since the 50hz test tone is recorded at 0db puts high demand on the amp from what I've read, but most music isnt recorded at 0db so theoretically the amp wont be seeing the required voltage on music right? So thats where im lost.

Right now I have it setup the way the SSA tutorial way all sound processing done before getting my voltage and it sounds really shallow, my 6x9's have just as much bass as my sub :ohnoes9: Anyone else have input on this? thanks.

I have a quick question as well regarding the SSA amplifier gain setting tutorial, I understand the process to get ur required voltage and all but what really gets me is that the "original poster" says to setup any sound processing up prior to getting the required voltage. For example +5 BASS, +3 TREB, etc. But on the external link to JL's gain setting it says to set everything FLAT or zero prior to getting ur required voltage. Which to believe? :trippy: .

The way Im thinking is that U would go about it is JL's way, then setup the bass and treble etc after. Since the 50hz test tone is recorded at 0db puts high demand on the amp from what I've read, but most music isnt recorded at 0db so theoretically the amp wont be seeing the required voltage on music right? So thats where im lost.

Right now I have it setup the way the SSA tutorial way all sound processing done before getting my voltage and it sounds really shallow, my 6x9's have just as much bass as my sub :ohnoes9: Anyone else have input on this? thanks.

From what I learned in this forums.

When setting your gain, right before you do it, you set your music the way you want it to sound.

So for example, if you want treble +3 and bass boost +1, set that first, then set your gain.

The reason why you dont do it after is because you could have your gain right, but then you decide to go bass boost +2, you are going to clip your signal almost instantly and cause damage.

By setting your bass boost/treble first and then your gain, you are making sure that the bass boost is not going to cause any clipping, of course, your gain might have to be set a little lower since you are boosting the bass from the headunit already.

One tip: you shouldnt really use bass boost. Components/coaxials are not "cool" with low frequencies <100, so many people here would suggest you leave your bass boost alone.

From what I learned in this forums.

When setting your gain, right before you do it, you set your music the way you want it to sound.

So for example, if you want treble +3 and bass boost +1, set that first, then set your gain.

The reason why you dont do it after is because you could have your gain right, but then you decide to go bass boost +2, you are going to clip your signal almost instantly and cause damage.

By setting your bass boost/treble first and then your gain, you are making sure that the bass boost is not going to cause any clipping, of course, your gain might have to be set a little lower since you are boosting the bass from the headunit already.

One tip: you shouldnt really use bass boost. Components/coaxials are not "cool" with low frequencies <100, so many people here would suggest you leave your bass boost alone.

thats the way I have it setup, all the bass, treb, etc set where i want it and then set my gains. I just was confused as to why JL says to set them flat prior to setting ur gains so thats why i got confused. But thanks for ur input. Anyone else? lol

If you set the gains with them flat then when you turn them up you will be beyond the power output capability of your amplifier.

In general ALL knobs/eq's and other switches should ONLY be used for cuts, not boost. Of course there are times when this doesn't hold true, but in general.

JL says to set them flat as unless you have install issues they probably should be flat. It will also give you a true setting, but there are other things to be concerned with. What test tone did you use (0dB,-3dB...), what output level is your h/u set at, is there any clipping on the h/u output? And can your amplifier actually do its rated power? If you don't REALLY know the answer to those questions it is better if you do not use a DMM to set your gains.

I used a 50hz test tone recorded at 0db. my deck is set at +15 for the sub, +5 for bass, and +6 for treble. And my amp should do rated power, its a memphis belle 16-ST1300D 300watts @ 4ohms.

But besides that theres no real concern about setting my gains up I just got confused as to why JL said to set ur gains with everything FLAT. But thanks for the help! I just needed 1 more person opinion on that. :drink40:

I used a 50hz test tone recorded at 0db. my deck is set at +15 for the sub, +5 for bass, and +6 for treble. And my amp should do rated power, its a memphis belle 16-ST1300D 300watts @ 4ohms.

But besides that theres no real concern about setting my gains up I just got confused as to why JL said to set ur gains with everything FLAT. But thanks for the help! I just needed 1 more person opinion on that. :drink40:

Ouch, really? I think you should ponder doing something different with the install if you need to exaggerate everything that much...

i believe JL says to set everything to flat b/c lets say you set your eq to +5 bass and your h/u eq for the bass setttings boosts the 60-100hz range and lets say you set your gain using a 50hz tone then lets say you play music at 60hz at a +6 boost so therefore you are clipping the amp, i believe they say to do that to cover there @$$'s though and i also believe that i will win the lotto some day also! ;)

hope this helps but seriosly m5 last post take that into consideration!

+5 for bass, wow. Your music must sound really muddy :ehh:

M5 if you have something in mind on how I should be setting up my system im all ears man,im still fairly new to this and im still experimenting with my setup. Thats why im here to learn.

Thanks CrazyKenKid yeah its understandable.

slim142 its not muddy at all, its pretty bright if you ask me a little to bright. But like I said its all experimental right now, still learning the ropes

M5 if you have something in mind on how I should be setting up my system im all ears man,im still fairly new to this and im still experimenting with my setup. Thats why im here to learn.

Thanks CrazyKenKid yeah its understandable.

slim142 its not muddy at all, its pretty bright if you ask me a little to bright. But like I said its all experimental right now, still learning the ropes

Probably would, but I'd need some information. Make a thread. Read the threads in my signature first though to make sure you understand what information you should share :)

+5 for bass, and +6 for treble

Turn both back to zero, there is no way that can sound good. You said it's bright, back the treble down to zero, then you will hear how muddy your bass is. lol

Buy a bigger amp or more effecient drivers if you want to get louder, but the way you are set up now has fail written all over it.

Turn both back to zero, there is no way that can sound good. You said it's bright, back the treble down to zero, then you will hear how muddy your bass is. lol

Buy a bigger amp or more effecient drivers if you want to get louder, but the way you are set up now has fail written all over it.

I agree, your distorting everything at the head unit. +1, maybe 2 should be plenty for bass if used at all, I keep mine at 0. Treble is your opinion, but I keep mine at +/-1.

Edit: On my head unit, (CDA-105), I always use the SUB W. control to increase bass while keeping the EQ the same. The bass knob also helps, but you can get great bass while leaving your EQ settings near neutral, and IMO sounding cleaner (better).

Edited by deernet

but also BE CAREFUL with using a bass knob! they are a NO NO in my books and at lot of other ppl books b/c of what they do!

and go with what m5 said to do! post up your build with all the info and please please read the links in his sig before posting!

I agree, your distorting everything at the head unit. +1, maybe 2 should be plenty for bass if used at all, I keep mine at 0. Treble is your opinion, but I keep mine at +/-1.

Edit: On my head unit, (CDA-105), I always use the SUB W. control to increase bass while keeping the EQ the same. The bass knob also helps, but you can get great bass while leaving your EQ settings near neutral, and IMO sounding cleaner (better).

but also BE CAREFUL with using a bass knob! they are a NO NO in my books and at lot of other ppl books b/c of what they do!

and go with what m5 said to do! post up your build with all the info and please please read the links in his sig before posting!

True, I usually never turn mine over half.

You shouldnt be using it all, turning it that high is dangerous especially if you didnt take account for the boost while setting up your amplifier.

alright thanks for all the info guys, sounds good to me I shall try those settings out first +1 or +2 at most. and I dont have a bass knob for that amp too. But yeah? if im having problems I will post a thread and I'll be sure to read M5's links prior to posting. :drink40:

did you set ur gains with the subwoofer control at +15?

I did more research and it says to set sub control to max +15 for alpine decks.

Edited by rps13joe