Typicaljawaiian

My Sub Fades In and Out (what is it)?

Yeah, I'm so happy right now, NOT! Anyway, I'm in my car with the beats going pretty good and all of a sudden the bass cuts out. I pop the trunk and run back to see WTF. My amp is on, it's not in protect, voltage is good, I'm f**kin clueless. Then as I'm about to stab the f**ckin sub it turns back on. Again, WTF. Then it doesn't exactly cut out but it plays at like 25% volume for a little while then comes back on then goes back to 25% vol. I go to the head unit, turn the volume down and after a while it seems to play normal. I wait and eventually turn the volume up again and presto! The mindf**ck starts all over again.

Can a sub blow with no signs of it getting hot (smell, touch, etc)? Can a square wave kill a sub before signs of thermal damage are present? What would cause a sub to cut out, then come back on at 25%, then when the HU volume is turned down it seems to be alright. As soon as HU vol. Is turned up it all repeats?

If I set my gain w/ a Oscilloscope would there be less chance of this happening. It's got to be Gain/Bass Knob. When I went to my local shop to set the gain they said they ONLY do it by ear. I felt like they thought I was a joke, wanting to use an O-Scope. F**k that! I just want to do s**t right.

The reason for getting into so much detail and for sounding like I posted this stuff twice, is because this is the second time it's happened to me. I take responsibility, but just want to know what to do so it doesn't happen again. Or at least make the chances of it happening a little bit smaller.

Sub - 15" Fi BL full loaded.

Amp - JL Audio 1000/1

Please, I need professional help!!!

These recones are getting expensive!!

check the coils of the sub with a dmm, to make sure they are reading right, make sure ur wiring is solid, check ur rca's bc u might be getting a bad signal. try switching out amps with a buddy to see if ur amp could be the culprit.

also, a square wave is bad...that means major clipping, you want to have the top of the waves rounded over, not flat. if u set it with an o-scope, make sure to have ur bass knob unplugged, set ur gains and then plug ur bass knob back in that way when u turn it all the way up, its only going to turn up the gain to where it is set on the amp.

you just gotta troubleshoot bro.. its gotta be either your electrical, signal, h/u, amp, or sub shorting out your amp. narrow it down. did you meter your sub to see if its at the right ohm load?

try borrow a friends amp and sampo. try swap the h/u? check the voltage and monitor it. do at least something so we can help you.

Nothing wrong with setting the gain by ear. I do it.

As has been said, you have to troubleshoot. Try hooking up a different amp, then a different sub, measure the resistance of the coils on the sub, etc. But there was a time when my music would cut out completely, and if I turned my head unit volume nearly to the max I could play it at safely (where I set my gains), the sub system would all of a sudden turn on and start hammering away just like normal. The amp was bad in that case.

i had this same problem with my BTL last week, i took out my 3000D and saw a screw in the amp guts, the power terminal was loose so it probably wasn't getting full connection. So swap out that amp for another one

Check your connections.

I just started to have the same shit happen to me I have a 1000 1 too on w7

One of my friends had a similar problem, the problem whit his is was that the speaker wire was starting to break off of and only a couple strands of wire where in the terminal so you might want to check that.

I got the same setup as you. I remember you from Youtube. What happen with your amp? Did you ever figure out the problem? Do you have a second battery? You got to be careful with that bassknob. That thing is crazy, especially with our 1000/1. These amps are way underrated. My amp gain is set a little more then half. And thats enough juice for my BL.

I got the same setup as you. I remember you from Youtube. What happen with your amp? Did you ever figure out the problem? Do you have a second battery? You got to be careful with that bassknob. That thing is crazy, especially with our 1000/1. These amps are way underrated. My amp gain is set a little more then half. And thats enough juice for my BL.

Gain setting doesn't mean power setting. Just because the gain is at half doesn't mean you're only getting half power from the amp. You are likely getting full power from it, and it's possible to be well into clipping with half gain as well.

As a matter of fact, the JL 1000/1 uses a regulated output IIRC, which means you are getting 1000 watts no matter what. They don't underrate those by much, 1100 watts maybe.

Gain setting doesn't mean power setting. Just because the gain is at half doesn't mean you're only getting half power from the amp. You are likely getting full power from it, and it's possible to be well into clipping with half gain as well.

As a matter of fact, the JL 1000/1 uses a regulated output IIRC, which means you are getting 1000 watts no matter what. They don't underrate those by much, 1100 watts maybe.

k. I didnt mean to say anything by the half gain. I was Just trying to see where he had his at. I believe its b more then a 100 watts.

Edited by raolito

I found that I had same problem.in my radio settings which is 2020 ford fusion I set the occupancy mode from audio settings from driver sound experience to all seats. And boom! 

The bass was fading the higher the volume pissing me off played around with settings and found out the audio settings were set to driver experience not all speakers 

20200509_113125~2.jpg

20200509_113129~3.jpg

LOL!  10-year-old thread.