BanginGMC

BanginGMC's Build Log | The Rebuild

Looks good man!!! Doing a really good job with them. If you need anything let me know. Talk to you later. Or if you ever need a hand give me a shout also!!! i would help when and wherever i can.

Thanks man!! :fing34:

I'll take you up on that offer if i need any help!

Lookin' good Bangin'. Why doesn't anyone wear gloves? just a thought, as I have yet to cut myself.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, aim the 6.5s up a little, you will gain output.

AS far as tweeter placement, get some velcro and move them around to the differant mounting locations you have available. I choose as high in the door as possible. I was afraid to put them on axis at first, but was glad when I did. YOU can set the JUMPER to around -5 or so on the crossovers with them this close to you. THE tweeters will have the most output on axis and this way you can turn them down on the crossover, and they won't even sound strained.

Let me know if/when you have more questions.smile.gif

Thanks for posting all the pix. I see you love Alpine.

Very nice job! The CLD Tiles will definitely cut you up. Using a roller solves that.

Lookin' good Bangin'. Why doesn't anyone wear gloves? just a thought, as I have yet to cut myself.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, aim the 6.5s up a little, you will gain output.

AS far as tweeter placement, get some velcro and move them around to the differant mounting locations you have available. I choose as high in the door as possible. I was afraid to put them on axis at first, but was glad when I did. YOU can set the JUMPER to around -5 or so on the crossovers with them this close to you. THE tweeters will have the most output on axis and this way you can turn them down on the crossover, and they won't even sound strained.

Let me know if/when you have more questions.smile.gif

Thanks man i definitely will contact you for help when it comes that time, later today most likely.

Thanks for posting all the pix. I see you love Alpine.

No problem man, whats a build log without a shit load of pics? ;)

And yes, Alpine has always been on of my favorites. :fing34:

Very nice job! The CLD Tiles will definitely cut you up. Using a roller solves that.

Thanks man, and i couldnt find a roller anywhere... home depot, flooring stores, dollar store, no where.. thats why i used a wheel for a bed :suicide-santa:

Updateeee! :fing34:

Well, turns out the window crank/gear was blocking the left speaker on each door, so.. i had to make mdf rings for all 4 6.5s so everything would match.

Panel before making any cuts.

8250512.jpg

First ring and speaker mounted

8272390.jpg

Way more clearance now!

8269937.jpg

Second ring mounted

8294146.jpg

Both rings and speakers mounted :)

8312244.jpg

8314770.jpg

Mounted the panel to the trim panel

8358625.jpg

8360224.jpg

Now!.. on too the carpeting

NOTE: (one continues piece of "speaker box" carpet) This was a PAIN IN THE ASS doing this with the rings! Extremely harder then it looks!!!

Sorry i don't have my pictures of during the process, just the finished product ;)

For the first time doing this, personally i think it came out legit.

8499090.jpg

95% complete door panel glamor shot ;)Adding tweeters tomorrow

8511647.jpg

Tomorrow i'll be cutting the other door, and carpeting the wood panel, and.. if i get done soon enough i'll be running wiring and jammin' out!

Looking good man! Keep up the good work!

Damn Bangin' that grey carpet looks clean as fuck. YOu did a great job of keeping it simple. Are you ready for me to send you my pair of R's so you can do three sets in there. hehe.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how it sounds, I also debated adding a second pair before going to the 10"s. One pair sounds good, So two should sound even better without sounding strained.

Are you going to test the different tweeter locations before you install them? Do you think you are going to run both sets of tweeters or just one?

Keep up the good work.trink40.gif

Looking good man! Keep up the good work!

Thanks man :D

Damn Bangin' that grey carpet looks clean as fuck. YOu did a great job of keeping it simple. Are you ready for me to send you my pair of R's so you can do three sets in there. hehe.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how it sounds, I also debated adding a second pair before going to the 10"s. One pair sounds good, So two should sound even better without sounding strained.

Are you going to test the different tweeter locations before you install them? Do you think you are going to run both sets of tweeters or just one?

Keep up the good work.trink40.gif

Hell yeah! send em my way before i install everything!!

I'm in the process of carpeting the other panel now, with these rings... oh my god, makes me want too :suicide-santa:

I'm thinking of running both set of tweeters (4 total) I am sure undecided on where though.. :puzzled:

I cut the second door and everything is ready to go, i just need to get past some speed bumps.. first time having a 4 channel amp, its becoming confusing.

Edited by BanginGMC

Update! :D

Well, one thing i DID NOT think of is how i was going to run the speaker wire from inside the door to the inside of the cab.. my truck does not have any power windows or anything so there is no opening for wires. SO... i had to improvise.

Door cut for speaker clearance, the edges are really sharp and gagged so i coated them up with duck tape

9404661.jpg

I drilled 3 holes so i could run this tubing through, i coated the tubing in electrical tape

9406322.jpg

Ghetto i know.. but hey, gotta do what i gotta do. ;)

9413998.jpg

9409246.jpg

Edited by BanginGMC

You may want to put your panel back on your door temporarily so you can judge fitment inside. I made the mistake of mounting first and having to remount again. Now I have an extra hole in one door......But it is definitely looking awesome man. Keep it going.

I agree with ChaosWarlord26, the tweets look like they might be awful close to the dash when the door is closed. Keep up the good work lookin' great!!!!

ya what they said, that looks like where the dash go's?

Like I said, you should get some velcro and test the different mounting options before drilling anything.peepwall.gif

You may want to put your panel back on your door temporarily so you can judge fitment inside. I made the mistake of mounting first and having to remount again. Now I have an extra hole in one door......But it is definitely looking awesome man. Keep it going.

I agree with ChaosWarlord26, the tweets look like they might be awful close to the dash when the door is closed. Keep up the good work lookin' great!!!!

ya what they said, that looks like where the dash go's?

Like I said, you should get some velcro and test the different mounting options before drilling anything.peepwall.gif

Yeah.. that place didn't work out. You guys were right, i think i'm going to put the next to the 6.5s.. it just BLOWS that its already carpeted.

I'll have to get a razor blade and cut a radius out of the carpet then get one of those door handle drill kits and cut me a perfect circle.

IM SO CLOSE THO! KnuKonceptz didn't give me jack for speaker wire.. 4 channel amp with 12 feet of speaker wire, ha.. i got 2 runs of it then i had to use some off my spool, so its blue from Knu then clear from Monster.

Why not on the black piece in front of the handle? Seriously Bro, you REALLY should listen to the tweeters in different spots before cutting any holes. I recommend after each time you move them, you listen while you are driving. Move them around to see what sound best in your particular ride.

I suggest trying on the dash firing straight up and reflecting off the windshield, then try the A-pillars, then try along the top of the door and then try WAAAAAAAY down by the 6.5s. You will never know which spot will sound the best, BUT you owe to yourself to find out.trink40.gif

BTW each spot will require a different "jumper setting" on the x-over. I had mine set to "0" with them on the dash firing up, I had them on "-3 or -4" on the A-pillars, AND right now I have them in the top front corner of the door and the setting are drivers side "-6" and the passangers at "-5".

You might also want to see what it sounds like with only one set of tweeters going, you never know until you try.

Also you will want to try different phase combinations between the tweeters and woofers until you find the one with the smoothest sound. I think right now I have the drivers side tweeter out of phase from the rest of the front drivers. once again you will never know until you try, I usually change the phase on a certian driver if it sounds real "out of place".trink40.gif

Why not on the black piece in front of the handle? Seriously Bro, you REALLY should listen to the tweeters in different spots before cutting any holes. I recommend after each time you move them, you listen while you are driving. Move them around to see what sound best in your particular ride.

I suggest trying on the dash firing straight up and reflecting off the windshield, then try the A-pillars, then try along the top of the door and then try WAAAAAAAY down by the 6.5s. You will never know which spot will sound the best, BUT you owe to yourself to find out.trink40.gif

I thought of that place too, but i'm going to do the velcro idea. I can't do the A pillars though cause i have no mounting depth room :(

BTW each spot will require a different "jumper setting" on the x-over. I had mine set to "0" with them on the dash firing up, I had them on "-3 or -4" on the A-pillars, AND right now I have them in the top front corner of the door and the setting are drivers side "-6" and the passangers at "-5".

You might also want to see what it sounds like with only one set of tweeters going, you never know until you try.

Also you will want to try different phase combinations between the tweeters and woofers until you find the one with the smoothest sound. I think right now I have the drivers side tweeter out of phase from the rest of the front drivers. once again you will never know until you try, I usually change the phase on a certian driver if it sounds real "out of place".trink40.gif

I will probably use all 4 tweeters, unless its harsh on my ears.. later today i'm going to PM you so i can ask some questions. :fing34:

Try down on the kick panel and fire them off axis!

Try down on the kick panel and fire them off axis!

I was thinkin' of that, cause they would look amazingly sexy

Give it a shot! You will be amazed at how they will sound! May only want to use just a pair. Play with the angle as well.

You think 4 tweets would be too much? -- I need to be heard from faaaar away (w/out horns) so i might need all 4.. it shall be a challenge.

definetly try anywhere you can, it won't hurt and you will get more famillair with your equipment. Theres this guy in europe that has the tweeters mounted to the front of his seat firing staight up, the guys name is Oki Mueller, if you want to look him up.

I just keep moving them closer to me because when they were in the A-pillars I would lean forward and they would sound SOOO much better I would want to cream myself. They sounded good on the dash , but I wanted them on-axis once I heard them that way. I HONESTLY wouldn't even hesitate to see how they sound behind the door handle and as high as you can get them, I think you will be suprized. I would do them horizanal along the top, instead of stacked, better on the path lenghts if you go that far back. Stacked would probably be better in front of the handle though.

The only reason I can think of to only run one set of tweeters is if they sound like two seperate sound sources, but if you get them right next to each other, you should be good.trink40.gif