BanginGMC

BanginGMC's Build Log | The Rebuild

Looks and sounds great! Keep up the great work!

Lookin' good! :popcorn:

Sounds good. Makes me want to get a PDX amp for my truck for my type r components. Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for them a pair. :peepwall:

Thanks guys! I got a pretty good deal on the speakers, for both pairs it was 280.00

If you have no amp for your Type R's you really should get one!

OH! Pictures are being uploaded ;) ;) what can it beeee

Edited by BanginGMC

OKAY SO DONT LAUGH

I didn't feel like going to home depot so, i used cardboard instead of wood.

Test fitting tweeter location

1011303i.jpg

Got the cutouts, thank you Alpine :)

1010082.jpg

Cut outtt, this was harder then it looks haha

1013343.jpg

Carpeted and fitted

1141969.jpg

Final product!!

2132253.jpg

Glamor picture ;)

2133920.jpg

Nice progress man! Keep up the good work!

popcorn.gif

are you going to keep the cardboard? wood would look much nicer :P doors look super clean, did you try aiming the mids up a little, like jroad suggested, before you made the baffles?

It does look pretty good for cardboard, but I'd still replace it :P

It does look pretty good for cardboard, but I'd still replace it :P

thanks haha

are you going to keep the cardboard? wood would look much nicer :P doors look super clean, did you try aiming the mids up a little, like jroad suggested, before you made the baffles?

I will replace the cardboard, when i get around to it.. i'm in no hurry.

I tried thinkin' of ways to aim the 6.5s upward but.. the way i made the doors there wasn't a way to aim them up. Well there was a way, but i didn't think of it till now haha. I like the way the door look though, the stock clean look. I get a lot of compliments on them. I haven't been to a car show yet with the new doors, but next weekend there is one. :drink40:

Edited by BanginGMC

Damn I think you got ripped off i got mine for 200 for all four at downtown l.a they gave me wholesale prices... :drink40:

Edited by cheese20323

40 bucks more a set, not gona sweat ittt :)

I've been looking for an Alpine IVA-D106. ;):D

Edited by BanginGMC

dude im loving the cardboard..hahahahah ...i take it you liking those apline speakers........ nice work man.... sound good :popcorn: :popcorn: :drink40: :drink40:

Edited by Hans

:D thanks! yeah, the speakers are great. When i have them on full tilt it feels like a dogs tail slightly tapping on my leg and the tweeters are amazing.

The Type-r's are pretty impressive, just wait til you get them broke in and loosened up alittle.

The idea I thought of to aim the 6.5s up is to glue 3 MDF rings together, then cut the center ring at an angle from one edge to the other edge of the center ring. This should give you two angled mounting rings from the three flat rings you glued together. do that twice and you will have all 4 angled mounting rings to mount like the ones you have now. kinda hard to describe, but I think I got it.

The cardboard looks like it works just fine for the time being, You definetly got an easy dash to work with. (lucky bastard). Keep up the Killa' work Bro.smile.gif

Yeah i think we're thinking of the same idea, i figured i could sand the piss out of the upper half of the MDF ring dramatically so when i mount the 6.5s they would be aiming up.. sound about right?

Yeah i think we're thinking of the same idea, i figured i could sand the piss out of the upper half of the MDF ring dramatically so when i mount the 6.5s they would be aiming up.. sound about right?

You could sand a single ring from 3/4" to nothing and that would work nicely. I was thinking of the 3 rings glued together, then cut the center ring from 3/4" to nothing.

If you don't think the motor will hit whatevers in the door, you would be fine with the single ring idea. The single ring would be 0" tall on the top edge and 3/4" tall on the bottom edge.The 3 ring idea would be 3/4" tall on top edge, same as the depth you have now, and 1 1/2" on the bottom edge.

trink40.gif

I'm trying picture your idea in my head, as of now i only have 1 MDF ring for each 6.5 do you think it'll be THAT much of a difference if i aim them up? it'd break my heart to have to rip out that carpet.. it was such a P.I.T.A to carpet with the rings.

**Off subject** Is it possible for my gain to be set "too high" and the speakers NOT sound distorted or anything but perfect? -- sweatin' that it might be set "too high"

**moved post to amp section**

Edited by BanginGMC

I'm trying picture your idea in my head, as of now i only have 1 MDF ring for each 6.5 do you think it'll be THAT much of a difference if i aim them up? it'd break my heart to have to rip out that carpet.. it was such a P.I.T.A to carpet with the rings.

**Off subject** Is it possible for my gain to be set "too high" and the speakers NOT sound distorted or anything but perfect? -- sweatin' that it might be set "too high"

If you are happy with the output of the 6.5's and they blend then don't worry about changing the aiming.

As far as the gain go's, the drivers might not sound distorted, but will start to sound VERY strained. What is the output voltage on your HU? you will have to look it up in the HU specs. What do you have the gain set to? what frequency and slope are you crossing the comps over at?

If you are happy with the output of the 6.5's and they blend then don't worry about changing the aiming.

As far as the gain go's, the drivers might not sound distorted, but will start to sound VERY strained. What is the output voltage on your HU? you will have to look it up in the HU specs. What do you have the gain set to? what frequency and slope are you crossing the comps over at?

Gains on "NOM" (half)

Crossed at 110

Pre-out 2.0V @ 600Ω

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-MP345U

6503975.jpg

6506234.jpg

Okay so around 1 o'clock today i was waiting outside my girls house for her to get in my truck, she was inside getting ready and all that jazz. So, i'm waiting for a good 15 minutes then decided to kick back my key and turn my radio on.. so i'm playing some songs, and a cop drives by me and glares at me. I think, okay, hes just looking at my paint job, but then he whips around and flicks me. So i take my keys out of the ignition and place em on the dash. Figure out where my wallet was, then he comes up to my window and asks what i'm doing, where my girl lives, then asks for my license and i give it to him. He runs my number in his carputer and comes back and says well the reason i'm here is because someone called and said your music is too loud and i could wright you a disturbing the peace ticket, even though its during the day... if someones peace is being disturbed you can get a ticket for it. I explain to him how loud i had it and i wasn't trying to disturb anyone, (he was pretty chill) then he noticed my passenger door and asked "did you do that?" I said yeah, carpeted it and everything.. then we bullshitted about s series trucks cause he use to own one and then he tells me i can have my music on and i wasn't doing anything illegal being parked where i was, but not to play my music so loud i say okay, blah blah, then he leaves.

**Didn't want to make it obvs that i was snappin' a picture**

So... Type R 6.5s FTMFW :D :D :D :D :D

hmmm... so you got 100 watts going to your type R's?

I got only 75watts going to mine. I wonder if there's a big difference between them making me buying a new amp

nevermind I totally forgot you had 2 sets of type R'S in the front

Edited by wutang512

Gains on "NOM" (half)

Crossed at 110

Pre-out 2.0V @ 600Ω

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-MP345U

Bump for Mr. j-roadtatts :)

which drivers sound strained or distorted? the tweeters or the 6.5's?smile.gif

BTW I will make the angled rings to show you what I'm talkin' about, it will probably be a few days before I get to it though.trink40.gif

Neither, everything sounds fine.. I was trippin' that the Gain is set too high though..

I had it set to about 3/4s the way and it sounded great, but I was scared that it was too high so then I changed it too half way and that is where it stands.

At 3/4s it sounds great, but do you think thats too high?