Wackzirth88

DB Electrical alternators any good?

Im looking into to upgrading to a high output alternator. I was searching high output alternators for 1999 ford contour and found db electrical. they sell a 220A alt for 239 plus like 20 shipping. i think thats reasonable but id like to know if its worth it. anyone have any experience with db electrical alternators?

also open to suggestions on other places to look. i have a 1999 ford contour 4 cyclinder 2.0 liter. id ike to keep the cost around 2-300 but i can probably go a little higher if i have to.

HO alternators aren't gonna be cheap. Look to spend 4-500 dollars on one.

Oh and the ones that are cheap, usually don't last long.

I think the ones youre looking at are not actually DB Electrical named. They are Delco brand, DB Electrical is just the place that is selling them, Im still not sure on the quality of the Delco alternators, so I cant make any judgment. :shrug:

I had the 200 amp in my lincoln and no problems at all. I liked it, but as rodney said, "HO alternators aren't gonna be cheap. Look to spend 4-500 dollars on one. Oh and the ones that are cheap, usually don't last long". You really get what you pay for when it comes to electrical. However from my experience i was satisfied for the money i spent on it. The only reason i bought it, was because nobody makes one for my car.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on a quality alternator. You will be glad you did later. :drink40:

Word. Any suggestions?

DC Power or Mechman.

Dont forget Iraggi. His store is on ebay.

Word. Any suggestions?

DC Power>> Mechman> irragi

if your on a budget go with irragi they're decent for the money.

But by all means do what you want. If you want to try DB electrical, do it. Let us all know how it goes :)

checked out the mechman and dc power sites, and iraggi store on ebay. mechman and iraggi both had one for the 2.5 liter version of my car and dc didnt have anything on their site for fords besides trucks, SUVs, and mustangs. i emailed iraggi and dc to see if they make one for my car still waiting on a response. i couldnt find an email address for mechman so ill probably give them a call in the next couple days. the 220a alt iraggi makes for the 2.5 liter version of my car is on 30 more bucks then the 220a alt from db.mechman is quite a bit more.

still kind of thinking about the db electric alt, clownin27 and a few guys from ecoustics said they used them were satisfied. both guys on ecoustics said they never had a single failure years after and would buy again from them. ill definately find out prices from the suggested places first and may go with iraggi considering there not much cost differences and there are alot of people who can speak for iraggi

Looks like i could chime in here. just installed mine a few days ago.. its a 220amp alt from db-electrical.. This weekend ill be throwing the system in there but i hooked it up with a Kinetik hc2000 under the hood along with big 3 in 1/0 ... kinda bothers me how the voltage is.. when its at like 12-1300 RPM's my guage is higher than its ever been (stock dash volt meter) .. when i let off the gas it drops drastically.. This is my first HO alternator so im not sure what to expect but I know for a fact i want steady voltage and thats not what I have. Ill be adding another HC2000 to the back this weekend, hope it level's it out a bit, but right now its up and down. Im sure i wont have problems with it, its just not what i want.. but they state this on their website. they tell you what RPM the alternator makes its output at.. so just understand there not lying. Ill be experimenting more, also will be adding a digital volt meter here soon to be completely certain. From what I have gathered you need to pay attention to where the alternator makes its power. idle or a certain RPM

Just curious but what's your voltage at at idle and when it's around 1200-1500 rpms? I'm with you the wanting my voltage to be steady, that's why I'm looking at HO alts in the first place.

After you do your experimenting let me know what you think, I'm really curious. And do you have a system hooked up now? If so how much power are you running and how's your voltage at idle with the volume cranked.

Edited by zack w

Still haven't recieved a message from dc or iraggi. I called both today, talked to dc they took down all my information(car make/model/year and contact info) and said they'd give me a call back. Being done alot of research, so far I haven't seen anything bad about db.

Iraggi nor dc power have gotten back to me. I emailed powermaster last night and they already responded. The biggest alt they have for my car is 150 amps, is that sufficient to run a sundown sae 1200 and a 4 channel say a sundown sax 100.4 or aq 4x90?

And how about powerbastards, are they any good? They have a 220a alt for my car for 300 shipped. Only thing I'm kinda effy about is the fits all case.

Iraggi nor dc power have gotten back to me. I emailed powermaster last night and they already responded. The biggest alt they have for my car is 150 amps, is that sufficient to run a sundown sae 1200 and a 4 channel say a sundown sax 100.4 or aq 4x90?

And how about powerbastards, are they any good? They have a 220a alt for my car for 300 shipped. Only thing I'm kinda effy about is the fits all case.

:bull: on powerbastards, seriously cross them off your list....please, call DC power, there number is located right on there site....

I called dc last week gave them the information they asked for and they said they'd call back but have not. I'll give them another call, hope I don't get the same results as my last call.

Just got off the phone with dave from dc, and just my luck they dont have anything for my car :( . So i called mechman, got the answering machine but i left a detailed message so i hope they get back to me.

Have you tried these guy's The National Voltage Star - a blog dedicated to custom automotive electrical such as high amp alternators - street rod wiring harnesses - high torque gear reduction starters - hi cfm electric radiator fans - gauge restoration - and more. the guy's name is Darren. Rush Power Systems is the name of the company .They got a lot to read about the top ten alternators for the last few years.They have a lot of stuff for jeep's.I have never bought anything from them but someone else on here probably has.Everyone should go read their page. It's a good read.