flakko

Very First Fiberglassing Project!!! *PIXPIXPIX*

After a month of drivin around with these speakers sitting on the floor, i finally got around to glassing my Rainbows in. This is what ive done tonite so far:

Heres a pic of what it used to look like:

glassin017zo.jpg

A little before shot:

glassin028qu.jpg

All the tape and stuff:

glassin030wv.jpg

And done for the night leting it dry (do i need another layer?):

glassin041bt.jpg

Now my only problem was the taping... i didnt put foil and stuff underthe tape. I hope everythings okay underneath the tape :(

but overall looks okay to me.

will keep u updated! :D

thats wat i was wondering should i add another layer?

oh and if anyone was wondering about the positioning, it was the best i could do due to my e-brake taking up the entire corner. :(

How many layers is that ?

You prob want in the area of 3-4

UPDATE:

I tore the mold outa my car and added a few layers to it.

heres the front:

glassin059jt.jpg

the back:

glassin064gh.jpg

its freakin hard to get that tape off.

doin more later today

hard to get the tape off because you didnt spray a " release agent" on the tape before you started to resin.

PAM or its equivelent should work

Looks good so far.

Be interesting to see what the look like when they're done and installed. Stupid e-brake right in the way.

very good so far. :)

Pam cooking spray, or WD-40, or similar will help the release more then You can imagine.

Def, at least 3 layers. But depending on application, no more then 5 or 6. assuming NO air bubles.

Well done.

-Nick

I like to use some cheap wax. Put it on thick in 3 layers. Nowhere near the mess of a liquid-spray.

As for the E-brake, just remove the thing. Chances are with the age of your vehicle, it doesn't work. If/when it breaks, it'll probably be impossible to find parts to fix it without fabbing something up. How often do you use it anyhow?

x2. i think u shoulda tossed the ebrake and put the pods up front, but o well.

looks cool

what kind of drum set is that?

thanks for the comments. but as for the e-brake, its actually my parking brake and i need it when i take out my HU an stuff, also my dad would kill me if i he found out it hacked it off :P:.

oh and the drumset is... i dunno its my bros its got remo drum heads and sabian symbols. I think its a pacific

Update:

starting on the right side. just taped. no glass

b4 shot:

glassin078ur.jpg

cleaned up and ready to go

glassin084ca.jpg

taped:

glassin099nc.jpg

starting the glass tomorrow morning. :)

looking good so far,

Do you have a dedicated midbass? I hope so. I don't think that small volume will do much for you lower response.

^^^ I was thinking the :stupid: exact same thing. You are gonna have to come back up here so I can listen to it though. If you run out of supplies I have some left over fiberglass (about 3/4 of a pack, Bondo stuff) and about half a tube of MEKP. Its all yours, just come pick it up, if you want, I'll help you finish and then you can demo it for me. I'd really like to hear how its gonna sound with them mounted down there in the doorsill like that.

That mounting position sucks IMHO, once of these days you will jump in the car and *CRUNCH* there goes the speaker grille.

Work with what you have I suppose.

Anyway, your fiberglass technique looks good. What do you think about it so far?? I thought it pretty easy once you just swallow the lump in your throat and do it.

As suggested, use a release agent. I used a light "spritz" of Pam, and it wasn't a mess at all.

If you need any more help, criticism, or suggestions feel free to ask away!

^^^ I was thinking the  :stupid:  exact same thing. You are gonna have to come back up here so I can listen to it though. If you run out of supplies I  have some left over fiberglass (about 3/4 of a pack, Bondo stuff) and about half a tube of MEKP. Its all yours, just come pick it up, if you want, I'll help you finish and then you can demo it for me. I'd really like to hear how its gonna sound with them mounted down there in the doorsill like that.

That mounting position sucks IMHO, once of these days you will jump in the car and *CRUNCH* there goes the speaker grille.

Work with what you have I suppose.

Anyway, your fiberglass technique looks good. What do you think about it so far?? I thought it pretty easy once you just swallow the lump in your throat and do it.

As suggested, use a release agent. I used a light "spritz" of  Pam, and it wasn't a mess at all.

If you need any more help, criticism, or suggestions feel free to ask away!

lol you know wat... i dont know haha i AM however going to elevate the kicks a little bit so i get more volume. also maybe build it back a little bit.

When i finish i will for sure Demo it for ya! I dunno i mite have to stop by, ill be in the area next next week :) Also there may be a USAMPS factory tour in the near future so you may have to come down here....nothing in concrete tho ;)

Well... for the mounting position, so far nothing happend to them lol i think i would hurt them more if they were on the dead pedal cuz i put my foot there a lot.

well at first i thought i was gonna mess everything up. it "LOOKS" hard. but once you go through with it, its a piece of cake. Its like a scary rollercoaster. "LOOKS" scary but when you go on it, its not that bad (riddlers revenge). VERY time consuming tho.

Thanks for all yall complements and criticism!!!!

keep the pix comming

update!

Fits poifectly

glassin104ii.jpg

This is the basic location on where the kick is gonna be. I still need to trim a BUNCH of fiberglass off and its not aimed yet. Its also going to be elevated a little off the ground for more air space.

glassin114yk.jpg

mite do the right and side today. i dint sleep in 24 hours

p.s. its not the ebrake thats blocking. its the parking brake. so i kinda need that. ;)

e-brake/parking brake.... same thing.

looking pretty good. albeit, a bit thin, but you are getting there...

looking forward to hearing this. hit me up via PM or email if you are gonna be in the area. definitely interested in the factory tour (free samples??? lol) as well.

well... i finally got aroudn to doin the rightside. finally.

glassin019ay.jpg

with the tape...

glassin041vp.jpg

glassin054ub.jpg

i fergot to put the mold release thingie again hehe so its art deco again!

glassin022oe.jpg

im gonna go buy a carbide blade tomorrow and trim all the stuff i dun need tomorrow.

More to come!!!!!!