BanginGMC

My Kenwood KDC-MP342U won't save settings after powering off

My Kenwood KDC-MP342U won't save settings after i turn the head unit off.

I did the install, had to hardwire with the wires, the factory harness was cut out from the previous owner, i used butt connectors.

Truck in sig.

Here is a video --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fRHgeJgcko

when you hardwire the wires did you switch the power (yellow) and the acc(B+)(red)wire because doing that will cause the radio to reset everytime you turn the truck off.

when you hardwire the wires did you switch the power (yellow) and the acc(B+)(red)wire because doing that will cause the radio to reset everytime you turn the truck off.

Do you mean did i connect the yellow wire where the red wire needs to be and the red wire to where the yellow wire needs to be?

The power wire that is always on is not connected to the right wire. You have two power wires, one that just goes straight to your battery and one that goes through the ignition. The one that's connected to the ignition turns the unit on when you turn the key on, the one that goes straight to the battery keeps power to the unit at all times so that your settings save. Check to make sure you have them connected to the right factory wires. They may not be the same color as the ones from your head unit.

The power wire that is always on is not connected to the right wire. You have two power wires, one that just goes straight to your battery and one that goes through the ignition. The one that's connected to the ignition turns the unit on when you turn the key on, the one that goes straight to the battery keeps power to the unit at all times so that your settings save. Check to make sure you have them connected to the right factory wires. They may not be the same color as the ones from your head unit.

Thank you for the reply.

When i bought my double din i didn't feel like installing it so i payed a guy 50 bucks to hardwire it (because the factory harness was cut out) and i forgot the reasoning but he did run a wire directly from the batt to the head unit, i THINK i connected my kenwood to the wire as well? -- it as been awhile and i have been so busy.

EDIT: but.. obvs i didn't connect it to that wire right? - when i noticed the issue i thought of "The power wire that is always on is not connected to the right wire."

Edited by BanginGMC

Do you mean did i connect the yellow wire where the red wire needs to be and the red wire to where the yellow wire needs to be?

yeah

Since the yellow wire holds your memory by staying hot all of the time, its surely connected to the switched 12v source. By having it done this way, it will cut off and on like how it should, but not hold the memory. The red and yellow wires are probably just backwards.

Edited by 4runner

Damn.. i'm going to take it apart now, i'll take pictures to life up the thread a little.

Damn.. i'm going to take it apart now, i'll take pictures to life up the thread a little.

LOL good stuff. Would you like a wiring guide to make sure everything else is connected right? You know make sure your speakers arent out of phase and what not? Just need to know year, make and model of the vehicle.

LOL good stuff. Would you like a wiring guide to make sure everything else is connected right? You know make sure your speakers arent out of phase and what not? Just need to know year, make and model of the vehicle.

just match color for color, unless you are wiring directly into the cars factory wiring and not a into car harness

Edited by PT3005

Yes, if you don't mind. I already have it apart. Uploading pictures now.

Truck is in sig.

Command Center.

70510444.jpg

Just got in the truck.

70512846.jpg

Unpacked Supplies.

70516789.jpg

Here we go. Face Plate is off.

70522717.jpg

Dash off.

70528398.jpg

Head Unit out.

70542349.jpg

Yellow wire connected to a Yellow wire.

70556570skz.jpg

Red wire connected to wire connected to batt.

70543918.jpg

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Right Front (+) Light Green

Right Front (-) Dark Green

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Here you go pal, hope this helps....

just match color for color, unless you are wiring directly into the cars factory wiring and not a into car harness

He mentioned the harness was cut.....

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

I have an orange wire unconnected, i remember hooking everything up and not remembering where it goes so i left it undone.

I also have a black wire unconnected.

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

I have an orange wire unconnected, i remember hooking everything up and not remembering where it goes so i left it undone.

Orange should be where your yellow wire goes, but if that wire is bad (reasoning for running a new wire) then you need to just cover it up. Black should ground,.......should.

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Orange should be where your yellow wire goes, but if that wire is bad (reasoning for running a new wire) then you need to just cover it up. Black should ground,.......should.

Wait, i don't follow.. Is the yellow wire coming from the truck bad? or the wire coming from the head unit bad?

Do i change the orange with the yellow or not?

Cover what up?

:puzzled:

EDIT: Also, there is a black wire from my head unit that isn't connected.. Should i ground that (guessing it is a ground wire)

Also, what should i do about the black wire coming from the truck?

Edited by BanginGMC

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Wait, i don't follow.. Is the yellow wire coming from the truck bad? or the wire coming from the head unit bad?

Cover what up?

EDIT: Also, there is a black wire from my head unit that isn't connected.. Should i ground that (guessing it is a ground wire)

Ok. The yellow wire from your kenwood needs to be connected to a constant 12 volt wire (stays hot all the time). The orange wire in the vehicle should be the constant 12 volt wire, but it could be bad or a fuse could be blown for that wire. You mentioned someone ran a new hot wire from the battery to the radio......this wire...whatever color it may be needs to be connected to the yellow wire on the kenwood.

The red wire on the kenwood needs to be connected to a wire that cuts on/off with the ignition key. The "factory" vehicle wire should be yellow.

The black wire on the kenwood does need to be connected to a ground or something metal in the vehicle. But the black wire from the vehicle should be the ground wire, so id tie those two together. The radio has probably been getting its ground from the antenna wire.......not recommended!!!

Remember....ANY wire that are not being used or connected...cover them up with tape or a butt connector

Edited by 4runner

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Cover what up?

Ok. The yellow wire from your kenwood needs to be connected to a constant 12 volt wire (stays hot all the time). The orange wire in the vehicle should be the constant 12 volt wire, but it could be bad or a fuse could be blown for that wire. You mentioned someone ran a new hot wire from the battery to the radio......this wire...whatever color it may be needs to be connected to the yellow wire on the kenwood.

The red wire on the kenwood needs to be connected to a wire that cuts on/off with the ignition key. The "factory" vehicle wire should be yellow.

Yellow wire from kenwood to batt wire

Yellow wire from truck to red wire from kenwood

Correct?

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Cover what up?

Correct?

Yes. Correct. That should fix your problem as long as all the wires are good. Hope this helps....im going to bed. lol

Truck is in sig.

Constant 12V+ Orange

Switched 12V+ Yellow

Ground Black

Illumination Gray

Dimmer Brown

Antenna Trigger Pink

Left Front (+) Tan

Left Front (-) Gray

Left Rear (+) Brown

Left Rear (-) Yellow

Right Rear (+) Dark Blue

Cover what up?

Correct?

Yes. Correct. That should fix your problem as long as all the wires are good. Hope this helps....im going to bed. lol

I'm rewiring them now... laptop + wifi FTW!

I'll see whether it works ina sec

thank you 4runner!!!!!!!

it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40: :drink40:

Glad i could help!!!