so mostly everyone knows about clipping, when the music gets turned up and it hits a bass note, starts to play it then quickly drops off.

well i've been having this problem ever since i got my new setup and i've read the how to set the gain of an amp thread, done it. no change

and i've tested the impedance of my vioce coils and they're correct, dual 1s

i've tested the ohms on the output of my amp and it's reading 2 flat which is what it's supposed to be

i've re wired my sub to the amp and checked my rca's but it still clips when it gets turned up.

any other suggestions, please?

i would like any other suggestions on getting rid of my amp's clipping problem

i did read it and it didn't work.

i mean i guess you can turn the gain down so much to where you cant even get real loud anymore

What amp do you have? Perhaps you need a bigger amp to provide more clean power...

What HU? What amp? How is the bass boost set? Any loudness feature on in the HU? Crossover frequency? SSF setting? Polarity wired correctly on the subwoofer(s)?

When you say it quickly drops off, what do you mean? Clipping will only distort the output and eventually fry your driver

HU is an alpine cda 9874

-hpf on hu is set to 80

alpine m2000

i got my buddy who won VA states last year to help me tune it. it's set up exactly how it should be to play "air forces" by young jeezy but it clips off...

I'm really confused. Can you explain your problem further and more clearly?

When you say it quickly drops off, what do you mean? Clipping will only distort the output and eventually fry your driver

like its playing a bassline then its absolutely no bass at all within a split second of time

weird issue, not sure what to check exactly... I don't know how you would even check the amp to see if there's a problem with it. I've read that certain class amps work better for subs, but I don't believe it would be enough for the ear to catch...

Edited by stefanhinote

it's fine with the bass knob turned all the way up on volume level 10. but when you turn it up to 20 it'll start playing a bass line for maybe 2-5 seconds and then it immediately cuts off and there is no bass at all. this period of no bass lasts for maybe 5-8 seconds then plays a bass line again and repeat.

EDIT: the bass cuts off. like no more low bass or anything coming from my sub

Edited by pdubb

then something is up with your amp if it cuts out for that long. How did you set your gains?

the gain was set so it would read 63 volts when it plays a 50 hz note. but the "cutting off" still continued.

63volts sounds about right for how much power your running. Whats your electrical consist of? Oh and when the bass cuts off does the amp's light go off or change color at all?

Edited by stefanhinote

i suggest ditching the amp u got and get a sundown

yeah, but that's a drastic way of fixing the problem (especially if it's a simple one.), but if you can't fix it and have the cash than selling it and getting a sundown would work :P

Thats ignorant.

That Alpine is a fine amp.

1-800-291-4080

/////Alpine support doesn't fuck around, very good people.

EDIT: Sundown is a great company, but.. just because someone has an issue with an amp that isn't with their company, you shouldn't be no help and say go buy Sundown.

/////Alpine is great :)

Edited by BanginGMC

1-800-291-4080

/////Alpine support doesn't fuck around, very good people.

I like your choice of words :D

That's always good to hear though that a company is serious about helping their customers and not screwing them over.