xprime4

Pair of 15inch Xcon

hi there,

i'm getting a pair of 15inch xcon pretty soon and i'm working on my box design. They'll go in an 2004 elantra gt, so hatchback. subs up, port on one side (a 10inch sonotube) with enough clearance to breath. amp is an mtx te4001d, so around 4k watt to the pair.

-what's the subs displacement?

-cutout

-is one 10inch sono enough (box is 7.2 before all displacement, so pretty on the small size) gives around 12f

-how do you think they'll react in like like 3.2-3.5 feet each? (3.5 if single baffle, otherwise 3.2)

-i had tc sound's tc-9 prior, anyone know how does compare?

-anything i should know about these beside that?

thanks for the help in advance

Edited by xprime4

Specifications:

15" SSA XCON D2

Re 3.7

Fs 31.3

Qms 6.11

Qes .45

Qts .42

Mms 268

Vas 88.4

Sd 810

Bl 20.71

SPL 89.6

Xmax 31mm

Enclosure Recommendations:

Sealed: 2.0 - 2.25 cu.ft.

Sealed: 2.75 - 3.0 cu.ft. optimal

Ported: 3.0 - 3.25 cu.ft. @ 26-33 hz

Ported: 4.0 cu.ft. @ 26-33hz opt.

Sub Outside Dia.: 15.625”

Cut Inside Dia.: 14.125”

Displacement: 0.20 cu.ft.

Specifications:

15" SSA XCON D2

Re 3.7

Fs 31.3

Qms 6.11

Qes .45

Qts .42

Mms 268

Vas 88.4

Sd 810

Bl 20.71

SPL 89.6

Xmax 31mm

Enclosure Recommendations:

Sealed: 2.0 - 2.25 cu.ft.

Sealed: 2.75 - 3.0 cu.ft. optimal

Ported: 3.0 - 3.25 cu.ft. @ 26-33 hz

Ported: 4.0 cu.ft. @ 26-33hz opt.

Sub Outside Dia.: 15.625”

Cut Inside Dia.: 14.125”

Displacement: 0.20 cu.ft.

yeah i saw that, thanks for the cutout and displacement tho.

also how much they really weight? it says 45lbs on ssa specs, but my packages seems to be 35lbs each? kinda confusing...

since my box will be on the small side, where should i tuned it for the best musical output

yeah i saw that, thanks for the cutout and displacement tho.

also how much they really weight? it says 45lbs on ssa specs, but my packages seems to be 35lbs each? kinda confusing...

since my box will be on the small side, where should i tuned it for the best musical output

Well if you saw that why did you ask for Cutout and Displacement? :P

I do not know where those drivers should be tuned at.

Good Luck though.

oh and i just realize that if i want my double baffle , after all displacement (subs port bracing) i'm down to 6.25ft/cu net for the pair :( that's still fine with the "official requirement" but i don't want my setup to not sound good...

oh and i just realize that if i want my double baffle , after all displacement (subs port bracing) i'm down to 6.25ft/cu net for the pair :( that's still fine with the "official requirement" but i don't want my setup to not sound good...

You WILL want double baffle. Its usually a must with such nice drivers and a great idea. It sounds a little small but it might work better since the amp you are using has overhead. Also the enclosure volume needed is relatively close. If its built properly, it will sound dope. :drink40:

No such thing as making an XCON sound bad, if installed correctly! tongue.gif

Due to weight and movement, a double baffle should almost be a requirement for Xcon's. :)

hi there,

i'm getting a pair of 15inch xcon pretty soon and i'm working on my box design. They'll go in an 2004 elantra gt, so hatchback. subs up, port on one side (a 10inch sonotube) with enough clearance to breath. amp is an mtx te4001d, so around 4k watt to the pair.

-cutout

-is one 10inch sono enough (box is 7.2 before all displacement, so pretty on the small size) gives around 12f

-how do you think they'll react in like like 3.2-3.5 feet each? (3.5 if single baffle, otherwise 3.2)

To hit on a few of the things not answered already, box size wise, I think you will be ok but keep in mind you are at the smallest end of the spectrum of the suggested range. The Xcon's will play excellent in the smaller sized enclosure as they don't need monster sized boxes, but it does not hurt to go a little larger. In a way, I wonder if you might be more happy with a pair of 12's on the larger end of the spectrum instead, (yeah I know down~selling is not a good business trait, but trying to figure out best choice for your needs). One other thing, if you want to stay with 15's, don't be afraid of sealing them, ask anyone who has and they are VERY happy with the results. Due to the high power handling and high output potential, there is this perception of the Xcon's have to be ported, but that is far from the reality.

In terms of the TC-9, I have one also, very nice driver, but the Xcon motor is a solid hop skip and a jump above. A TC-9 driver would more or less compare with our Icon.

Hope that helps. :)

hi there,

-cutout

To hit on a few of the things not answered already, box size wise, I think you will be ok but keep in mind you are at the smallest end of the spectrum of the suggested range. The Xcon's will play excellent in the smaller sized enclosure as they don't need monster sized boxes, but it does not hurt to go a little larger. In a way, I wonder if you might be more happy with a pair of 12's on the larger end of the spectrum instead, (yeah I know down~selling is not a good business trait, but trying to figure out best choice for your needs). One other thing, if you want to stay with 15's, don't be afraid of sealing them, ask anyone who has and they are VERY happy with the results. Due to the high power handling and high output potential, there is this perception of the Xcon's have to be ported, but that is far from the reality.

In terms of the TC-9, I have one also, very nice driver, but the Xcon motor is a solid hop skip and a jump above. A TC-9 driver would more or less compare with our Icon.

well it's kinda too late for that, i already ordered those. is the 35lbs package thing fine tho? they really weight 45lbs?

thanks for the complete answer denim, i think i'll still go ported, what would you suggest for the best musical output with a box on the small side

30-32 Hz, and you should be fine !

Good luck on your build !

I had the 15's both sealed and ported.

My ported box was just about like yours, coochie hair over 3fc tuned to 34. They were fine in that box. Very flat and loud.

My sealed box was 3cf and let me tell you, they sound so damn good sealed up. If you went a 3cf or a little smaller sealed I bet you would be a very happy man. They will still throw down sealed up. If it was me, and I was worried about space I would seal them up and see how you like it first. The output will surprise you.

SSA don't half ass nothing man. These subs will excel in either box design.

As far as double baffle, do it! YOu have to. The reason I went sealed is because they flat out tore up my ported box and it was well built. These fuckers will move.

hi there,

-cutout

well it's kinda too late for that, i already ordered those. is the 35lbs package thing fine tho? they really weight 45lbs?

thanks for the complete answer denim, i think i'll still go ported, what would you suggest for the best musical output with a box on the small side

In terms of tuning, stick with the range suggested on the site. :)

well since i'm just adding a sonotube to it, i'll try sealed first and add the sono if i wanted to. the best is after that i can still seal it up :D

thanks for all the answer, i guess i,ll go 30-32hz if ported then

remember to make your sealed box larger than the ported box. This is because you will have to account for the port displacement. I would build your box to the ported specs but leave it sealed. this will give that little extra space sealed before you put in your port. If you need help be sure to post all specs and measurements of you car's trunk and the box you want to build. As all prior information we have will give you a better answer to any question you may ask. Congrats on the subs by the way.

ok they are in the car for a week and they sound nice indeed. I still think it lack the lows a little, so i'm gonna seal it up, but otherwise they are dead accurate on music, i love them :D

will 3.25 feet inch cube each sealed will be too much? will the upper bass range suffer (50-70hz...)

ok they are in the car for a week and they sound nice indeed. I still think it lack the lows a little, so i'm gonna seal it up, but otherwise they are dead accurate on music, i love them :D

will 3.25 feet inch cube each sealed will be too much? will the upper bass range suffer (50-70hz...)

What did you end up tuning the port to?

You could try it and see. Good thing about being a little bigger is you can add MDF to the inside to take up volume until you get it where you like it. I had mine in 3CF and they were very happy.

Love the underlined part. :) Try to aim for the suggested enclosure specs, but as said above, it is easier to build larger and reduce the internal air volume of the box. :)

i couldn't go lower than 31hz with my actual port size... otherwise it would have been 27-28hz :D

31 should Kill the lows. What are you playing that goes much below 31?

i couldn't go lower than 31hz with my actual port size... otherwise it would have been 27-28hz :D

31 should Kill the lows. What are you playing that goes much below 31?

i think the actual box size is killing the lows lows.... there's pretty much content under 30hz in alot of the track i listen to, bass track and some on my favorite rap track dig low, that's why i love them actually ;)

31hz is plenty low for car audio.

so your saying there is not advantage at all from tuning a box to 26 or 31.... i'm pretty sure it will play even flatter tuned real low...

anyway i'm sealing it up and i'll see from there...

Edited by xprime4

so your saying there is not advantage at all from tuning a box to 26 or 31.... i'm pretty sure it will play even flatter tuned real low...

anyway i'm sealing it up and i'll see from there...

It all depends on the install, goals, space available, choice of driver etc. 31hz is fine for most ported installs with the Xcon, in car audio due to cabin gain evident in many vehicles. There is nothing wrong with 26hz at all, but there is a point where the law of diminishing returns will kick in and you might as well go sealed for the vehicle. Home audio, that is a very different story, enclosures can be much larger and tuned much lower.

it's now sealed with around 3.25 per sub and it's digging low .... i love that :D

but there's a huge difference in overall output, i'll keep it this way for a week or two and then i'll decide if i want to go ported again but tuned lower

BTW excursion is now totally sick, freaking sick. it looks alot cooler than ported. i wanted to make vids with my cellphone but it just won't pick it up

Edited by xprime4