xprime4

Pair of 15inch Xcon

it's now sealed with around 3.25 per sub and it's digging low .... i love that biggrin.gif

but there's a huge difference in overall output, i'll keep it this way for a week or two and then i'll decide if i want to go ported again but tuned lower

BTW excursion is now totally sick, freaking sick. it looks alot cooler than ported. i wanted to make vids with my cellphone but it just won't pick it up

It's going lower ? Damn !!!

The huge difference in output is annoying, but I will try it.

I will build a sealed box for my 15" xcon.

I will tell you how I feel from a 3.5 cu ft ported box to a 3 cu ft sealed box. I'm running mine with a Sundown saz 1500 d.

it's now sealed with around 3.25 per sub and it's digging low .... i love that :D

but there's a huge difference in overall output, i'll keep it this way for a week or two and then i'll decide if i want to go ported again but tuned lower

BTW excursion is now totally sick, freaking sick. it looks alot cooler than ported. i wanted to make vids with my cellphone but it just won't pick it up

:fing34:

Yea they get louder, but they sound so damn good sealed it's a hard choice to make.

More power?

Edit - you have good power, didnt see that.

adding two more and removing the backseat would be the only option left ;) but this is my daily, i don't need a trunk but i need my backseat

Edited by xprime4

Semi-wall? You can fabric a wall in the trunk, at rear of your seat and still got the backseat.you can build your box higher, sealed them from the trunk and put your amp at rear of your box but that story sound heavy for a XD2..

Edited by polkfan

Semi-wall? You can fabric a wall in the trunk, at rear of your seat and still got the backseat.you can build your box higher, sealed them from the trunk and put your amp at rear of your box but that story sound heavy for a XD2..

hi there ;)

something bad happenned today while i was abusing the lowend of my oversized sealed box... one of the cone kinda melt... yeah it melted!!!

i don't know if i'm the only responsible for this, the other sub wasn't really hot and the "blown" one was damn warm to the touch...

i'm gonna take them out tommorow, recone time...

big sealed + much power + lowend abuse = :(

something bad happenned today while i was abusing the lowend of my oversized sealed box... one of the cone kinda melt... yeah it melted!!!

i don't know if i'm the only responsible for this, the other sub wasn't really hot and the "blown" one was damn warm to the touch...

big sealed + much power + lowend abuse = sad.gif

Could you post pics of the melted cone?

big sealed + much power + lowend abuse = sad.gif

Could you post pics of the melted cone?

i will tommorow.....

does ssa do recone?

Edited by xprime4

Yes recones are available through SSA. Contact denim.

i can't wait to take them out and inspect them. i just don't get how one of the two subs fail like that and the other was barely hot. it didn't smell coil either, just a little smoke and i light scent. i never blew sub, it just failed too quick, just wondering why

btw the coils wer kinda dark on both sub and each tinsels looked weird when i first got them . they were used what is the coil "natural" color? gold or brownish?

Edited by xprime4

That's correct, they are gold/brownish colored. A burnt coil is dark brown/black and has a distinctive smell. Test the resistance of each coil at the terminals, there could be a short in the tinsel leads under the dust cap, that can cause the dustcap to melt.

That's correct, they are gold/brownish colored. A burnt coil is dark brown/black and has a distinctive smell. Test the resistance of each coil at the terminals, there could be a short in the tinsel leads under the dust cap, that can cause the dustcap to melt.

dustcap wasn't that hot in the middle , just on the burnt side 3inch away from cone center

This was an XCON? Take some pictures and PM them to denim and he'll help you out.

Only one burned? Did you possibly wire each one differently than the other? If one was receiving more power that would cause it to burn faster than the other.

... spider problem here

HPIM2828.jpg?t=1272719578

HPIM2832.jpg?t=1272719515

and the cone

HPIM2830.jpg?t=1272719541

sad sad day...

but i'm wondering why the other is still in good working condition. my dmm batt is down i can't check the coil atm

waiting on a recone quote, and this will be my first recone

i just put the sub in a box i had so the working one is in 4.3 net @34hz and it sound pretty great. i'm glad there's still one working while i'm waiting for a recone.

Edited by xprime4

Looks like it was moving a little too much to rip the spiders.

Not sure on the dust cap melting. :puzzled:

Curious to what those coils read.

well finally it seems like the tinsels are burnt.

HPIM2835.jpg?t=1272736941

HPIM2836.jpg?t=1272736974

the spider ripped just over the tinsel, wtf happened?

That appears to be a mixture of clipping, and driving them past their limits. We have never had an Xcon look like this that I know of. I got your PM, we can arrange a recone, but first the cause of burning up such overbuilt sub woofers needs to be corrected before putting them right back in.

isn't it strange that only one of the two "blew up"?

i wasn't powering them that much.... i'm pretty sure there was no clipping , voltage was still pretty high when the tinsel burnt.... and the sub was already kinda "rattling" when i put my ear next to it.... kinda mechanical noise

still waiting a on recone kit quote

Edited by xprime4

isn't it strange that only one of the two "blew up"?

i wasn't powering them that much.... i'm pretty sure there was no clipping , voltage was still pretty high when the tinsel burnt.... and the sub was already kinda "rattling" when i put my ear next to it.... kinda mechanical noise

still waiting a on recone kit quote

The second one seems to be very close to failure, and I would suggest reconing both. For us to never have had a thermal failure before under normal conditions on an Xcon, even thumper that beats the living snot out of every driver he uses, has not made an Xcon reach thermal failure, there has to have been something in terms of the gains or signal clipping in there somewhere. Not to mention, to get a driver with such a heavy duty suspension to reach mechanical failure, it is surprising. No big deal, just have to adjust settings and they will be fine. Part of the reason the Xcon has outsold our Icon 4-to-1 is due to the sheer amount of abuse it can take under normal conditions. I did not get back to your PM yesterday as I was away from a computer all day and on the road a bunch, and I cannot answer emails on my phone while driving in the state of MD anymore due to the new texting and talking laws against cell phones while driving. But I am still doing my damnedest to answer messages and emails 7days a week.

In the reply I just sent, I explain about the warranty issue with the end user doing the recone.

i'd be surprise there's clipping in the way as it's pretty much set the same way for every driver i use and that one seems kinda suspicious from the start. like i said, i wasn't really bumping that hard and my voltage was barelly dropping, i just mess with the wrong track in the wrong box..... the ex-owner haven't pm me back either......

it's still a nice driver, i really love the way it covers a nice range that flat. it sound so much better than the18 inch Q i had few year ago. i'm just wondering if i should call one or two recone as the other one was probably abuse too.... but it looks fine and play fine so far

sorry if i'm annoying denim, i just want them to work again together soon...

Edited by xprime4

You are not annoying at all. I just want to make sure you only have to recone once. :) You got PM.