deernet

So I want to make some MDF speaker rings...

I want to make some MDF speaker rings that look something like this:

6500_6x9_adapt.jpg

But I want the 6.5 and tweeter to fit flush with the mount. Should I just use two pieces of 1/2, and make the inside ring the mounting diameter, and the top piece the outside diameter of the speakers, then glue them together? I may just have to do some experimenting. I'm going to try and mount them in the door in place of the stock 5x7s. I've been thinking of fiberglassing them into the doors, and I probably will in the future, but I just need something temporary right now since the XXX 6.5s will be here tomorrow, along with my BTL.

All I'm waiting on to build my sub box is two 3/4"x9"x18" pieces of plexiglass and some super bright LEDs to come via UPS. I plan on doing pretty much the same thing with the plexi, and the mount on the sub box, using two pieces of 3/4, and making them flush.

I think I'll just paint it so I don't have to mess with carpet. I'm just going to sand the corners down real good, maybe get a can of bondo and go over the screw holes, spray it, sand it, spray it again, and be done with it. I'm not trying to win any beauty contests. I'm sure it should look fine. I'm using the 18" optimal enclosure for the X-CON on the site here. Its going to take up the whole cargo area of my Explorer. I'm also going to have half the backseat folded down and somehow bolt down a plexiglass amplifier rack. It should be badass. All I've got is a cell phone camera and a ipod nano camera, so I can't post good pictures, but I'll post some videos when its done.

The glued together 1/2" pieces with different cutouts would most likely be the easiest way. Another way would be to use a router but I think that would be too cumbersome to use on such a small piece of wood with short width sides.

The glued together 1/2" pieces with different cutouts would most likely be the easiest way. Another way would be to use a router but I think that would be too cumbersome to use on such a small piece of wood with short width sides.

If you use the router to cut first then trim the outside off you would have a larger piece of wood to handle in the begining, just a thought if this idea is used.

the router 100%

Find what the outer diameter is of both speakers than set that size. Measure the depth from the mounting frame and set your router to cut to that depth or a hair deeper.

Cut those 2 circles out first. That way no wood falls off and you still get your center point to use.

Now just readjust your circle jig to cut out the mounting hole and WALA, done.

A router will give you the best results. Practice on some scrap wood and make sure it's clamped down securely.

Like said already, cut the circles out with a router first, then cut out the whole adapter with a jigsaw.

I plan on using a router to do it anyways, what I don't get, is how can I use a single piece of wood and make them flush mounted. The bottom hole (mounting diameter) will have to be sunken in deeper than the top, bigger hole (outside diameter of speaker).

I got these things yesterday, and man are they huge. The 6.5s are so deep, I might have to figure a way to go ahead and mount them to the door panels if I can't get them to fit inside the doors.

If you want the speakers flush mounted you can do this with the router and one piece of wood. Set the depth of the router bit only as deep as you need to flush mount the speaker. An example of this is look at the hinges on a house door. Use the router to cut out the circle and to counter sink your speaker. You will probably a piece of wood thicher than 1/2" though.

Yeah, just have the router bit only take off like 1/4" of wood, not go all the way through it.

Yeah, just have the router bit only take off like 1/4" of wood, not go all the way through it.

And just keep going around it until you have the difference between the mounting diameter and the outside diameter of the speaker cut out?

Yes, but you might need to use a thicker piece of wood than 1/2". If you use 1/2" wood and router out 1/4" of it then you only have 1/4" for your mounting screws. If you use 3/4" wood and router out 1/4" then you will still have 1/2" of material to hold your screws.

Yeah, I was planning on using 3/4 if I do it out of a single piece of wood. I just wasn't clear on how to flush mount using a single piece. Thanks for clearing it up for me guys.

You're welcome and good luck on your build.